How often do you check the scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have been checking every morning. This is so not working for me so I have asked hubby to hide the scale. I will weigh again next month :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. It keeps me motivated. I am now able to see patterns in the fluctuations so I have a pretty god idea if I need to change my eating (sodium, etc) or if it is just regular monthly stuff (ovulation and TOM). I'm not sure if I will keep with every day weighing when I get to maintenance (6 pounds!) or not. I probably will since it is such a habit now.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    First thing every weekday morning. The key to weighing daily is not to view the day-to-day fluctuations but the trend over time.

Same here. But every day.

Then I track them on a spreadsheet. It's very interesting. I've looked at the numbers, and look at 'What if I would have weighed myself every Monday?' what about 'What if I weighed myself every Saturday?'

I understand the ups and downs and it's actually helpful to know why it went up 2 pounds overnight or down 2 pounds overnight. It's not all about me doing anything bad. It's about water weight most of the time. The next day after a 2 pound increase, I'm back to normal. The next day after a 2 pound decrease, I'm back to normal.

For example, my Monday weights have always gone down. Between 0.5 and 3 pounds.

But If I weighed myself on Saturdays, it's an entirely different story. One week I drank 3 shots on a Friday night. Saturday morning showed me down 2 pounds from where I should be. Alcohol causes the body to get dehydrated. If I didn't know better - Woo hoo! Lost 3.5 pounds from the week before (199 to 195.5)! Whatever I'm doing is working... then the next week, I GAINED 3 pounds! WHA!?!?! (195.5 to 198.5).

Looking at my week daily, my 195.5 was fake. It should have been 197.5. And the next week my 198.5 was an anomaly as well. It was 197.5 the day before and the day after. So, in effect, I was losing weight slowly between 199 and 197.5, (2.5 pounds in 2 weeks).

The weekly weigh-ins, if done on a Saturday, and not knowing anything about water weight, could have triggered me to have wild swings in my happiness with losing weight. I'm glad I do it daily so I can see the patterns, not abnormalities.
  • nslumia05
    nslumia05 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Since I began using MFP, I started weighing myself every other Tuesday first thing in the morning. I use the numbers and changes in the fit of my clothing to assess my progress.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    I have decided not to weight myself anymore. I go by the way my clothes feel Weighing myself used to discourage me so no more scale..Only my dietician knows my true weight...

I'd be too scared to do that. As I've read stories here about people gaining up to 20lbs before their clothes start getting tight.

Were those tight jeans or elasticated clothes?

haha I have no idea.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    1-3wks
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Evryday gor me if i dont i go up to much because in my mind ill think im doing better then i am and i always get disappointed
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Monday mornings.
  • Alicewtl
    Alicewtl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Every week or two. I don't see the use of seeing the same number everyday.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I did it every day, now I'm doing it every two weeks.
  • pluthera
    pluthera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month! Going by inches :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I use Trendweight which requires regular weigh ins.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Everyday, but that's only because contest day (Birthday) is less than a week out ; )
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I weigh every day and chart this in Excel.

^^^ This!

• arizona1gal319
    arizona1gal319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every morning so I can see trends
  • JanineMcAdory
    JanineMcAdory Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Every morning. After I go to the bathroom and with just panties on.
  • cristinaestbz
    cristinaestbz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning. My mom says I'm obsessed. I know I ain't.