How should I log strength training?

Options
I gym 3 times a week, just strength training, with two other people. I get that MFP can't calculate it 100% accurately because of all the different factors like intensity and rest periods. I'm there for 2 hours on some sessions and log this as 40 minute strength training under cardio - because there is 3 of us. Should I be doing that, or 120 minutes? Or even 60?

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What is it your major importance of the logging? The total calorie burn?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No-one knows your routine as well as you do, weight/reps/recovery time.....
    If you are standing around for long periods doing nothing (waiting your turn) then yes cut down the duration.

The very rough METS estimate given does assume a "standard" style of strength training which includes recovery between sets.

It's not a lot of calories so won't make a huge difference.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you want to log the calories burned like in cardio, wear an HRM during your workout. That will give you the baseline and you can create a custom cardio workout for it. It won't be high because of the start's and stops, but you'll have the data.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I don't log strength training
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    No-one knows your routine as well as you do, weight/reps/recovery time.....
    If you are standing around for long periods doing nothing (waiting your turn) then yes cut down the duration.

The very rough METS estimate given does assume a "standard" style of strength training which includes recovery between sets.

It's not a lot of calories so won't make a huge difference.

100% this!