Coconut oil in your coffee???

hi everyone I'm trying to stay in my strict diet of low carbs and good fat high-protein diet I really don't understand how to cook with coconut oil or why it's good to have it with your coffee any recipes or insight... Feel free to friend me let's lose weight together

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Coconut oil can be used in place of butter, lard and other oils for cooking. It's smoke temperature is higher than most oils so cooking with it is easy.

I add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to coffee and then blend or whip it. I really like the taste, and am a fan of the MCTs for the positive effects on my health. If you are someone who wants to delay eating in the morning and have the fat calories to spare, coconut oil in coffee is a tasty way to start the day... And if not, just skip it. ;)
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    I use coconut oil in place of butter sometimes when baking, adds a nice flavor to cookies and sweets with out the bad (but yummy) butter fat. Also so some think it improves bad cholesterol and your good much like olive oil. Tried it in my coffee. Flavor was okay, but the oil slick bugged me. I have to agree it's likely a bit of a fad, but I wouldn't be to dismissive of it with out doing some reading.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The coffee thing is just trendy. I can see no reason why it would be nutritionally beneficial.

For me, it's just a quick and easy way to get in fats. That's one area I was struggling with. I've always favored lean meats, so protein's easy for me. Given that I also don't eat for 12 hours or more in a given day, it helps offset the midday bleh feeling that I always used to get.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    People put it In their coffee for flavor. It, along with other fats, makes me feel full for longer periods of time which helps me cut down on cravings.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I put milk in my coffee. A bit of protein, calcium, vit d, magnesium, and potassium.
    I can't imagine replacing that with oil.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    I prefer my coffee oil-free as a general rule. I don't even put milk or sugar in there!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I agree it's just trendy, but it tastes good (tried a mix of butter and coconut oil, blended). Just don't let your coffee sit for too long or all the fat would float to the top ruining the taste.

Yes, you can fry and saute with coconut oil. Works best with Asian dishes. I will save you some pain right now and tell you don't EVER try to fry an egg in coconut oil! It tastes disgusting.
  • nvmomketo
    I agree it's just trendy, but it tastes good (tried a mix of butter and coconut oil, blended). Just don't let your coffee sit for too long or all the fat would float to the top ruining the taste.

Yes, you can fry and saute with coconut oil. Works best with Asian dishes. I will save you some pain right now and tell you don't EVER try to fry an egg in coconut oil! It tastes disgusting.

I like to use travel mugs with a seal on the lid, that way I can just shake my coffee up again every time I want to take a sip.
  • Gallowmere1984
    I could see that working to some extent, but if the coffee goes cold, I don't think anything short of an emulsifier will help. I generally drink mine within five to ten minutes, but that's just how I've always run with coffee anyway.

I managed to get my friend to try it this morning. She loved it, but she tends to drink it slowly. That skim that started forming looked rough.
  • nvmomketo
    I could see that working to some extent, but if the coffee goes cold, I don't think anything short of an emulsifier will help. I generally drink mine within five to ten minutes, but that's just how I've always run with coffee anyway.

I managed to get my friend to try it this morning. She loved it, but she tends to drink it slowly. That skim that started forming looked rough.

Contigo mugs are great for avoiding that. It's still warm up to 6 hours later. Love them!
  • Gallowmere1984
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Contigo mugs are great for avoiding that. It's still warm up to 6 hours later. Love them!

Six hours? What is this sorcery? I've had thermoses an inch thick that couldn't do that.
  • nvmomketo

Six hours? What is this sorcery? I've had thermoses an inch thick that couldn't do that.

Magic.... http://www.gocontigo.com/16-oz-autoseal-west-loop-stainless-travel-mug-with-easy-clean-lid.html
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member

Magic.... http://www.gocontigo.com/16-oz-autoseal-west-loop-stainless-travel-mug-with-easy-clean-lid.html

Yes, they really do keep warm for that long! And they're completely spill-proof when the lid is closed. Worth the price!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    angief1313 wrote: »
    hi everyone I'm trying to stay in my strict diet of low carbs and good fat high-protein diet I really don't understand how to cook with coconut oil or why it's good to have it with your coffee any recipes or insight... Feel free to friend me let's lose weight together

You might want to join the Low-Carbers Daily forum
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    If you're trying to get in more fats, but aren't too keen on the coconut oil in coffee plan, I recommend heavy whipping cream in coffee-- delicious!
    Just be sure to measure because there's a ton of calories in that stuff. :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Its not magic....I would rather get my calories from food but to each their own..
    1. Alan Aragon — Buttered (Bulletproof) Coffee

Alan AragonI’d have to say buttered coffee is the most overrated health food right now.

The current trend of dumping butter into your coffee (the “bulletproof” recipe calls for butter and MCT oil) is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that it’s a fat-burning drink is completely false. If anything, it’s a fat-gaining drink.

Secondly, butter is not a magic food. If anything, it’s a food that needs to be carefully moderated since it can adversely affect blood lipid profile by increasing apolipoprotein B (apo B) levels, which has the potential to raise the risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to raising apo B levels, adding supplemental MCT oil to coffee has the potential to raise fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. Both of these effects are not conducive to good health.

One more little wrinkle here, cream contains a substantially higher content of milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) than butter due to the churning process involved with butter production. Recent research has linked the higher MFGM content of cream to its more favorable effect on blood lipid profile than that of butter. So yeah, stick with cream if you’re going to dress up your coffee, and don’t buy into the imaginative BS claims made by crazy opportunists and marketers.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member

Layne Norton, PhD
    @BioLayne

If you bought into the whole 'bulletproof' stuff, then I have a very big bridge that I'd like to sell you for a very large sum of money.
  • nvmomketo
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Its not magic....I would rather get my calories from food but to each their own..

Alan AragonI’d have to say buttered coffee is the most overrated health food right now.

The current trend of dumping butter into your coffee (the “bulletproof” recipe calls for butter and MCT oil) is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that it’s a fat-burning drink is completely false. If anything, it’s a fat-gaining drink.

Secondly, butter is not a magic food. If anything, it’s a food that needs to be carefully moderated since it can adversely affect blood lipid profile by increasing apolipoprotein B (apo B) levels, which has the potential to raise the risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to raising apo B levels, adding supplemental MCT oil to coffee has the potential to raise fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. Both of these effects are not conducive to good health.

One more little wrinkle here, cream contains a substantially higher content of milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) than butter due to the churning process involved with butter production. Recent research has linked the higher MFGM content of cream to its more favorable effect on blood lipid profile than that of butter. So yeah, stick with cream if you’re going to dress up your coffee, and don’t buy into the imaginative BS claims made by crazy opportunists and marketers.

No no no. The magic is the travel mug, and not the coffee. ;)

How does Aragon figure that adding fat to coffee will raise blood glucose? That would be carbs doing that, wouldn't it? Same for lipid panels. Triglycerides, HDL and such are more closely linked to carb consumption.... Or so I have read.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

No no no. The magic is the travel mug, and not the coffee. ;)

How does Aragon figure that adding fat to coffee will raise blood glucose? That would be carbs doing that, wouldn't it? Same for lipid panels. Triglycerides, HDL and such are more closely linked to carb consumption.... Or so I have read.

Probably pulling from this? http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/4/564.full