Options
2»

Replies

• TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    teach0722 wrote: »
    I'm in need of a protein supplement and have no knowledge of protein powders. Where does everyone purchase their protein powders? Grocery store? SAMs? Target? Also, do you just add to water or make into a shake? Thanks!!!

You can find them at grocery stores but I never see any good brands imo. Check out Amazon.com, GNC, or the Vitamin Shoppe. And it depends on the brand of protein and how you like it for what you put in. Generally people add water for the majority I see. You can mix it into baking or cooking too - usually deserts or breakfast it seems. Just what seems good. There are directions on each brand for their own brand.
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb egg white protein, which I like much more that the whey protein, although as Julie said, the Jay Robb whey protein is pretty good--and less expensive. I buy the egg white protein in a big bag online. It's pretty expensive, so I can save some money that way.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, I don't lift heavy. Recently I have experienced the smell of ammonia when doing intense workouts...which is 3 to 4 days a week. I have researched this and have discovered that it is most likely not enough protein in my diet. I want fat loss, without compromising the muscle that I have already built and wish to continue. I am not a body builder...I am just an old broad that wants to be fit and toned. I run, cycle, do interval classes and yoga. I know that I should be eating more protein, but for some reason have found it difficult. I am not eating the same amount of meat that I once did, just don't have the want for it right now. I tend to eat more meat in the winter months. I just want to make sure that I don't lose the muscle that I have now.

In regards to ammonia smell.... That usually happens when you aren't eating enough carbs.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @hornsby thanks for that link. I will investigate more! @redraidergirl2009 no it's not the cleaners at the gym, I smell it after my run all the time. I run outdoors! Thanks for all of the suggestions on what has protein, although I already know great protein sources. I am struggling to eat my protein hence trying to get it with protein powder.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    @hornsby thanks for that link. I will investigate more! @redraidergirl2009 no it's not the cleaners at the gym, I smell it after my run all the time. I run outdoors! Thanks for all of the suggestions on what has protein, although I already know great protein sources. I am struggling to eat my protein hence trying to get it with protein powder.

Maybe you should just go to the doctor.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sometimes there is a ketone smell when people exercise intensely because of lipolysis, but some simple tests that your doctor can perform will rule out kidney or metabolic problems. Ketone smell could be mistaken for ammonia smell by some people. Are you on a low carb diet, by any chance?

I like Premier Protein powder. It is sweetened with stevia and xylitol, so may not fit the bill for you.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    GNC LEAN SHAKE BURN, QUEST SALTED CARAMEL MY PERSONAL FAV, W HALF CUP PINEAPPLE AND HALF A BANANA AND 8 OZ. COCONUT WATER OT GNC WHEYBOLIC EXTREME 60 CASEIN. ALL CAN BE FOUND AT GNC. DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH PROTEIN YOU WANT AND WHAT YOUR GOALS ARE. THE QUEST I FREEZE AFTER I BLEND AND IT IS HEAVEN! SALTED CARAMEL IS THE ONLY FLAVOR I LIKE OF THEIRS. 20 GRAMS PROTEIN 90 CAlories just powder. my shakes are a little over 200 calories.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you can also use KEFIR AS A MIX, GREAT PROBIOTIC, KINDA LIKE LIQUID YOGURT, IN A VARITY OF FLAVORS. I USE PLAIN THE M,OST LESS CALORIES, SAME PROTEIN. VANILLA IS MY OTHER GO TO. I DO HOT POWER VINYASA YOGA!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Fairlife chocolate milk, I could live off of it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Fairlife chocolate milk, I could live off of it.

I approve this statement. How in the hell does it taste so good?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @extra_medium & @hornsby I love chocolate milk, plus I could benefit from the calcium!! Thanks guys!!