How to lose weight without counting calories?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
So I know that the most important thing when it comes to losing weight is CICO, and right now I count my calories and use a scale and everything. I won't be able to do that when I go back to college in the fall (I'm living on campus so I'm eating the food there. No access to a kitchen, and no food scale). How do I continue to lose weight if I can't count my calories?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Why can't you bring a scale with you? They're pretty cheap. I got mine for 20$ at Walmart.
    As for the no kitchen, does your college have nutrition info posted for their meals? Does your campus allow fridges or microwaves in the dorms? There's a lot you can do to minimize the amount you have to eat at the cafeterias. One of my friends used to bring her own salad dressing (she made herself as she had sever allergies) every time she ate out.
  • st476
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Why can't you bring a scale with you? They're pretty cheap. I got mine for 20$ at Walmart.
    As for the no kitchen, does your college have nutrition info posted for their meals? Does your campus allow fridges or microwaves in the dorms? There's a lot you can do to minimize the amount you have to eat at the cafeterias. One of my friends used to bring her own salad dressing (she made herself as she had sever allergies) every time she ate out.
    I could bring a scale with me to college, but I don't want to bring it around with me to the dining halls. I have a fridge and microwave in my room, and the dining hall near my dorm doesn't have nutrition information since it's sort of like a buffet but a farther one does. I can't always eat there though because it's not really convenient, but those are good ideas, especially about salad dressing. Thank you!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Try to find matches as close to the cafeterias foods as you can in the database. Practice weighing your portions and eyeballing during your summer so you can eyeball as close to possible your portions.

I suggested bringing the scale for food you keep in the dorm. Like snack food and prepackaged stuff.

Try and stick to the healthiest options. Stuff that will keep you full the longest. For some, like me, that's protein and fat. For some it's actually carbs.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to make the best choices when you can. You can keep lots of healthy snacks in the fridge for when you're in your room studying or to grab on the go (fruit, yogurt, string cheese, water, etc). My daughter kept an under the bed Rubbermaid container with her snacks (100 cal packs, goldfish crackers, pretzels, etc). Make the best choices for lunches and dinners that you can. You're sure to be getting some exercise also, going from class to class!
  • st476
    Options
    NancyCaz61 wrote: »
    Just be sure to make the best choices when you can. You can keep lots of healthy snacks in the fridge for when you're in your room studying or to grab on the go (fruit, yogurt, string cheese, water, etc). My daughter kept an under the bed Rubbermaid container with her snacks (100 cal packs, goldfish crackers, pretzels, etc). Make the best choices for lunches and dinners that you can. You're sure to be getting some exercise also, going from class to class!
    Thank you! And yeah, there's definitely going to be a lot of walking and there's 3 "free" gyms so I'll be taking advantage of that. :smile:

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For when you can't weigh and trying to guess calorie contents in cafeteria/restaurant food is impossible: Use the "plate model" - fill your plate (a normal sized one, lol) - half with vegetables, and the other half equally divided between protein (meat/fish/seafood/beans) and starch (grains or starchy vegetables). There are other ways to split it, and different views on what a healthy diet/meal/dinner is, and I don't agree 100% with any of the Google hits I got today; you have to decide what's appropriate for you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    So I know that the most important thing when it comes to losing weight is CICO, and right now I count my calories and use a scale and everything. I won't be able to do that when I go back to college in the fall (I'm living on campus so I'm eating the food there. No access to a kitchen, and no food scale). How do I continue to lose weight if I can't count my calories?

Pay attention to what portion sizes look like now when you are weighing foods. Guess and then weigh to see if you were right.
    Get foods that are not mixed together to make for easier logging.
    Choose lots of protein foods. Fill your plate with vegetables. Take smaller portions of foods that are higher calorie.
    Choose foods that are baked or grilled. Limit foods covered in cheese, sauces or fried foods. Watch portion sizes on bread, pasta, rice, crackers, salad dressing.
    Take a food scale for your room. Keep fruits, vegetables, yogurt, bread, peanut butter, cottage cheese in your room.
    Request nutrition info. They may have it even if they don't post it.
    Find similar items in the database.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just found a reference to Sodexo being the provider of a lot of food for college cafeterias. The person said: ". . . most of the nutritional info for college cafeterias is on the Sodexo website-look at your receipt next time and if it says Sodexo then you can look up the info before you go."

Here is the Sodexo nutrition calculator link: balancemindbodysoul.com/balance/campus.asp

Edited to add: I just did a search on Sodexo in the MFP database - tons of entries there.

Good luck and enjoy college!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Practise learning what a portion of commonly served "base" foods look like - how much potatoes, pasta, rice, etc looks like.

Then, apart from what has already been suggested, use your body weight as a guide. Weigh as often as you can handle and track the changes to find your average weight (not your weight that day because you're bloated or retaining water). If your weight hovers around a number, cut back. If it is going up, cut back more. If it's dropping nicely, spot on! If it's dropping drastically, have a little more.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Portion control.
  • st476
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's not hard. You already know what foods are calorie dense, so limit those, eg. fatty foods. And if after 2 weeks you've gained/maintained/lost, then adjust your intake or exercise from there.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would just try and choose healthier options and watch portion sizes. Weigh yourself frequently so you know to adjust what you are eating if you see a consistent upward trend.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The company that did my colleges food has all their meals entered in mfp. Could be the same for yours.

Or like other side get good at eyeballing.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    You can also go back to the 'old way' of logging calories ... use a book that has the counts and look up the items manually.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's still important to log your food. It doesn't have to be perfect- just an honest, best guess.

Tracking food creates a record and an awareness of what you eat. It's an important habit to maintain and it works with all the other strategies that have been mentioned too.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    ... the dining hall near my dorm doesn't have nutrition information since it's sort of like a buffet but a farther one does. I can't always eat there though because it's not really convenient, but ...
    Actually, making a habit of walking farther two or three times a day to the less convenient cafeteria sounds like an excellent idea!

• typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I just found a reference to Sodexo being the provider of a lot of food for college cafeterias. The person said: ". . . most of the nutritional info for college cafeterias is on the Sodexo website-look at your receipt next time and if it says Sodexo then you can look up the info before you go."

Here is the Sodexo nutrition calculator link: balancemindbodysoul.com/balance/campus.asp

Edited to add: I just did a search on Sodexo in the MFP database - tons of entries there.

Good luck and enjoy college!

My husband used to work for Sodexo at a private academy as a chef and so when I cant find what I'm looking for and a Sodexo choice shows up that is what I pick.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Who runs your food service on campus? Both Sodexo and Aramark US/Canada are in the database. You can at least get the correct count for the standard serving size and have a good idea what you're eating.