Granny's getting fit!

Options
haney1722
haney1722 Posts: 27 Member
Hi all, I'm a 52 yo Grandma and the middle age fluff needs to disappear. I've toyed with this app in the past but today is Day 1 of a new journey. My goal is to lose 30 lbs which wont be easy since my metabolism has vanished. I've always been small but the past few years the weight has crept up and I'm miserable with how I look and feel. Any and all tips are welcome, nighttime snacks are the enemy for me.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I can't wait until I'm a grandma!!!

Here's my tips ( even though you may already know some of this stuff, it's still important to post it because it could help others reading this thread. Often newcomers are too afraid to post so they just lurk these threads seeking info)

Remember that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit . Calories in calories out.
    For weight loss to occur you must create a calorie deficit.
    Because weight loss ultimately comes from a caloric deficit, there's really no reason to try fads or gimmicks . Every week in every magazine-website-talk show , you'll see a new weight loss fad. All you need is a calorie deficit for weight loss so there's no need to torture yourself with the newest dieting craze.
    Don't get hung up on the small stuff and don't over think this.it's really simple when you think about it as just eating less then you burn to create a caloric deficit. Calories in calories out .

Get yourself a food scale. Learn how to weigh your solids and measure your liquids. Learn how to log them here on mfp. Being as accurate as possible helps a lot! Often we are not good at estimating portions, so using a food scale is a great way to see what real portions look like. Learn portion control and moderation. Eat the foods that you love, but in the correct portions.

• NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I could have written exactly what you wrote! I just turned 55 and never had a weight problem until menopause hit! I know the time is right for losing the 20-25 that I've put on over the last 3 years or so. You can do this!
  • haney1722
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I can't wait until I'm a grandma!!!

Here's my tips ( even though you may already know some of this stuff, it's still important to post it because it could help others reading this thread. Often newcomers are too afraid to post so they just lurk these threads seeking info)

Remember that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit . Calories in calories out.
    For weight loss to occur you must create a calorie deficit.
    Because weight loss ultimately comes from a caloric deficit, there's really no reason to try fads or gimmicks . Every week in every magazine-website-talk show , you'll see a new weight loss fad. All you need is a calorie deficit for weight loss so there's no need to torture yourself with the newest dieting craze.
    Don't get hung up on the small stuff and don't over think this.it's really simple when you think about it as just eating less then you burn to create a caloric deficit. Calories in calories out .

Get yourself a food scale. Learn how to weigh your solids and measure your liquids. Learn how to log them here on mfp. Being as accurate as possible helps a lot! Often we are not good at estimating portions, so using a food scale is a great way to see what real portions look like. Learn portion control and moderation. Eat the foods that you love, but in the correct portions.

Thank you for the info!! Calories in Calories out is a great mantra, I'll remember that one! I have debated getting a food scale but will add that to my shopping list, is there a certain brand that is more accurate?
  • haney1722
    Options
    NancyCaz61 wrote: »
    Hi there! I could have written exactly what you wrote! I just turned 55 and never had a weight problem until menopause hit! I know the time is right for losing the 20-25 that I've put on over the last 3 years or so. You can do this!

Thanks Nancy, it is frustrating for sure!! I swore I'd never be at the current weight I'm at grrrr and here I am! I feel it in my knees and ankles so it's time to get serious. You'd think those hot flashes would melt the fat....
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    haney1722 wrote: »
    NancyCaz61 wrote: »
    You'd think those hot flashes would melt the fat....

Haha Right??! But that's ok, you're doing something about it now...you've taken the first step!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Lol, Fit & Slim are different things though ... I got a mate who is shaped like a bowling ball (he is not a MFP member, so I can write this) and constantly struggling with his weight, but he is very fit. The one thing with MFP is that you should not see this as a "diet". If you do, and follow the CICO-plan (Calorie In Calorie Out), you will lose the pounds, until you have reached your weight, and get back to normal, and they will add on with a vengeance again. The other penny worth of wisdom is that small steps also create big results. Steady loss is better than big loss. Last but not least, enjoy what you are doing, if you set reachable achievement goals reward yourself on achieving them
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Any digital food scale will be okay! Mine was from Walmart. It was like $14 .

Using a food scale is an eye opener. We usually are not good with portions( over eating is what caused us to gain weight in the first place) so using the scale will show you what portions really look like.
    Throughout this entire process I have continued to eat the food that i love. I just learned how to use portion control. There's no reason unless one has an allergy or medical condition that you should have to give up tasty foods just to lose weight. I eat pasta every night, rice every lunch, and even make room for a treat like a serving of ice cream. ( see my above post about not falling for fad diets and gimmicks)
    Instead of eating a whole bowl full, I have learned to eat one serving . It took time to learn portion control and moderation but it works. These are tools that can be used forever.
  • haney1722
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Lol, Fit & Slim are different things though ... I got a mate who is shaped like a bowling ball (he is not a MFP member, so I can write this) and constantly struggling with his weight, but he is very fit. The one thing with MFP is that you should not see this as a "diet". If you do, and follow the CICO-plan (Calorie In Calorie Out), you will lose the pounds, until you have reached your weight, and get back to normal, and they will add on with a vengeance again. The other penny worth of wisdom is that small steps also create big results. Steady loss is better than big loss. Last but not least, enjoy what you are doing, if you set reachable achievement goals reward yourself on achieving them

Thank you, I am trying to scale back and think one pound at a time and just be patient lol! I love your fit and slim comment, so true! I am able to build muscle very fast for some odd reason, it's a genetic thing in my family, but unfortunately after I quit smoking last year and middle age struck all at once I've packed on alot of fluff...I love me some chocolate haha! Great words of advice, thanks!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ... oh, and at 52 you (compared to me) are a spring chicken :) ... if I can do it anyone can
  • haney1722
    Options
    You must be older than dirt if I'm a spring chicken hahaha...just kidding!!! ;) Thanks for the boost of confidence, I'm quite disgusted with myself which helps motivate me