Three days?

Options
How much damage can three days do to your weight?

I am on vacation with my family and my sister and hers. I havent been good with putting in the calories, but also concerned because this is the first time in quite a few years I will be going three days without a workout (although we did walk around a thomas the tank event for 4 hours today).

I said "the three days will be a vacation and I won't worry about weight or food" and yet...........here I am.

(Hope everyone enjoys their weekend).

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It depends. If yr eating sensibly but just not logging u will probably not cause much if any harm. If u are bingeing, though, you can make a hot mess of it. So try to choose things that are healthy and delicious at the same time. :)
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Three days of over eating usually takes me about a week and a half to bounce back
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Three days of over eating usually takes me about a week and a half to bounce back

To lose the weight itself or for it to just come off as water weight, etc.?
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Tough call to make. It depends on how much you were eating before and how much you have been eating during the vacation.

I suggest you become self-aware. What is more important to you? Eating a lot of food or eating in moderation? Your call, the fix is simple:)

If you are worried you gained weight, when you get home don't step on the scale for about a week. Get back to working out and eating your normal intake before vacation and the number should not be as alarming. If you go to stand on the scale the day after you get home, the number may freak you out and compound the effects.

IME...

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a 5 day vacation and I feel like crap. I went in saying enjoy yourself don't worry about calories. Well I enjoyed myself too much. When I stepped on the scale this morning I had "gained" 7 pounds. I know most of it is sodium and all the carbs I ate (too many carbs for me is not good. I have PCOS), but it still feels weird. I did walk 30 min the 1st day after a 12 hour ride and walked at least 10,000 steps a day.

Today, I went to the gym and it was hard to get back into the swing of things. So my advice is enjoy yourself but not too much, get in as much exercise as possible and be ready mentally for a weight increase.
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I went on a 3 day break with my husband and intended to enjoy myself having a break from the kids for the first time in 8yrs. We ate out fri-sun all fresh good quality food...along with a little wine. However I put on 6llb in 3 days. 3 days!!?? We were walking like 12000-14000 steps per day I seriously did not expect it. I did have a doughnut and some mcvitiies biscuits just to 'end the binge' the Monday as I had an operation but it still was a shock. So like above mentally prepaired yourself as I came back feeling refreshed but crap about my weight. I've lost 2llb in 5 days so it will come off again but feel like I've set myself back 3wks for 3 days!
  • sjgold123
    Options
    If I had to eat 3500 to gain a 1llb then it seems like I would have eaten the whole time I was awake. I entered my calories and probably had 3500/4000 inc wine etc so I came off worse than expected.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on how much you eat and how active you are.

It's CICO.
  • Annahbananas
    Options

To lose the weight itself or for it to just come off as water weight, etc.?

To lose what I had gained....considering I didn't go hog wild during those three days ;)
  • Annahbananas
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sjgold123 wrote: »
    If I had to eat 3500 to gain a 1llb then it seems like I would have eaten the whole time I was awake. I entered my calories and probably had 3500/4000 inc wine etc so I came off worse than expected.

If you're on vacation it is super easy to eat 3500 calories in one day. A typical meal at any restaurant can be 12-1400 calories.

Let's say you drop off at a McDonald's for lunch. Bacon clubhouse burger, medium fries, and a frappe. You just consumed 1850 calories for lunch

Or let's say you hit the Outback on a date, Grabbed a blooming onion...but you're good...you only ate 2 servings (it serves six) so you didn't even eat half of it, grabbed a 14 ounce prime rib with steam veggies and a loaded baked potato. Boom. 2450 calories....just for one meal. Let's say you're on a cruise. An average cruise meal (if you're not watching what you eat) will get ya about 13-2500 calories....easily 6000 calories a day because a cruise ship is a floating buffet

Trust me...it's easy to eat 3500 calories in one day when you're on an uninhibited food bliss holiday ;)
  • sjgold123
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was truthful with my diary you sushi nailed me!! I drank 1 bottle the whole weekend, breakfast twice was under 450 both days then two eve meals. Even if I missed judged and had 7000 extra calories in 3/4 days that according to above thend I would have put on 2-3 llbs but 6...I feel cheated lol

Before changing my eating I would put on that amount gradually in 6mths!
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 lb. Thus every 3500 above maintenance would be a lb. Unless you're drinking the most calorie-dense piña colatas known to mankind, you'll be fine.
  • Nysportsred
    edited June 2016
    Options
    3500 over maintanence ir 3500 total? Ive always geard bith. No way I ate 6000 calories per day.

On the scale today I was 4 lbs heavier. In the three days I was there we walked around for 3 hours on Friday at a Thomas the Tank event in Pennsylvania which includes chasing around a 2 year old and walking around an amusement park yesterday for 7 hours chasing around a 2 year old
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's 3 days. 3 days out of the total of 365 days in a year. Relax and have fun.
    It's vacation!!
    I'd just enjoy myself with the stuff that's worth it, and not load up on so-so stuff that you're eating just because it's there or because you figure it's vacation and you need to go all out and binge.
    Like, is the restaurant tonight known for having a really yummy dessert? Yes please. Are the rolls they serve not the best, but you'll have two because they're there and you're hungry? Pass.

What they said!
  • Nysportsred
    Options
    Weight is up 4, but waist is still the same. Water weight?