No self control with portion control/Binge eater

Options
Does anyone have any tips on portion control?

Replies

• lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. I joined Slimming World because you can eat as much free food as you like and lost 2 stone. However, for the last 8 months I have basically just been maintaining and I realised its because I am eating too much and I need to control my portion size. I was eating the same amount as my husband. Measure you food onto your plate. I put my plate onto a scale and weigh the food as I put it on the plate. I now use a smaller plate too. I eat less than I used to at lunchtime but still have a pretty big dinner. Bulk out with lots of veggies if you like to eat a lot! I tend to work on 1/3rd of my plate - 1/2 of my plate is vegetables and then add carbs and protein. Through experimenting I have found the levels that fill me up and don't leave me hungry but don't blote me out either. If you want you can check out my food diary!
  • Mark_Thompson_833
    Mark_Thompson_833 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started using smaller plates, it tricks you're mind into believing there's a lot of food. Also sometimes I weigh meats (usually chicken) if I'm having a salad with 200grams of chicken I don't worry about how much salad there is because it's low in calories. Just be careful of dressings
  • nslumia05
    nslumia05 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Logging my meals on this app has drastically improved my awareness of caloric intake. I measure foods when I can. Foods that are tempting to eat in excess I measure out a serving and put her remainder away.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The advice you've received so far is good, but if you're anything like me, putting the food out of sight doesn't mean a damn thing. If I know where it is, and I want more of it, I will go get it.

So, when I was first starting out, I got rid of the temptation. None of my binge trigger foods were in the house. If it's not there, I can't eat it. This is drastic to some people - and I'm sure someone will chime in and say, "But you need to learn self-control" - but this is what worked best for me at the time.

After a few months of logging my food and practicing mindfulness, I am now able to have some of my triggers in the house. There's a tub of ice cream in my fridge that I haven't touched since Monday. And when I did have it, I only had a serving. Don't get me wrong - sometimes, I still want to just keep eating and eating. But now, I recognize that feeling, acknowledge it, and do something else with my time: chores, reading, painting my nails, etc. It takes practice and patience, but you will get there.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    monicar84 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on portion control?

I don't know how helpful this will be, but when I'm thinking about bingeing, I think about the last time I did it, and I remember how sick I felt afterwards. Like I've had a couple binges where I almost puked because of the amount I ate. That makes me moderate my intake A LOT.
  • mscruz033
    mscruz033 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Snack between meals
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Will power, mostly. Small plates and bowl and can help. Slowly eating and/or drinking lots of water before, during, and after eating.
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The one thing that helps me to keep from binge eating is when I get a craving for a donut or candy bar I eat one. But make sure to long it. I have learned over the years with many failed diets that if I keep denying myself my desires eventually I crack then I really give in and I'll polish off a large pizza by myself. But in the end everyone is different you have to figure out what works for you.
  • crystalmgriff
    crystalmgriff Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started using smaller plates, it tricks you're mind into believing there's a lot of food. Also sometimes I weigh meats (usually chicken) if I'm having a salad with 200grams of chicken I don't worry about how much salad there is because it's low in calories. Just be careful of dressings

I also use a smaller plate. And I start by filling it half with veggies then protein and carbs on the other half. With binge eating, I do it at times and always feel so guilty. Remember why you started your journey and where you started from. I have a picture on my wall when I first stared my journey for a reminder, "I can't and will NOT go back". Good luck.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me is keeping stomach filled with proteins or taklking with someone to divert my mind
  • AngeloInTexas
    AngeloInTexas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always found scale people a little overboard, but if logging and counting aren't working, screw it just be a scale person...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think it was Sohee Lee who said "Self-control is fatiguing".

Get the stuff that puts you in danger of going way over calories OUT of the house for awhile. It doesn't mean it can't come back in, or that you are cutting out a food for life. There is still time to practice moderation. It isn't an end all be all...but clean out those cupboards and get on track.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think it was Sohee Lee who said "Self-control is fatiguing".

Get the stuff that puts you in danger of going way over calories OUT of the house for awhile. It doesn't mean it can't come back in, or that you are cutting out a food for life. There is still time to practice moderation. It isn't an end all be all...but clean out those cupboards and get on track.

^^Agreed. Self-discipline is a muscle that can be built up over time, just like biceps or legs.

When first starting out, learning what makes you the most tempted. Its like with AA, its probably not the best idea to take a recovering alcoholic that just started to the bars.

With food, its no different. Try and reduce the amount of times your tempted. As you build up strength and success and learn about moderation and portion control; you can add those things back into your life:)
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mindfulness, honesty, and letting yourself enjoy sometimes.

I have BPD so I work on dilectical behavioral therapy which basically trains mindfulness. Binge eating is something I'm bad about due to my BPD actually. You can pick up a workbook cheap online or find DBT activities online which helps you control your thoughts and emotions.

I say honesty because I'm guilty of trying to not log my binges which snowballs into me not logging. Being honest with yourself about your food is extremely important.

Then giving in a little is also important. Restricting treats makes it tougher for me to say no and find an adequate alternative. For example: Lately I've been specifically thinking about eating a whole thing of double stuffed Oreos with milk... Like I catch myself thinking about that a LOT after a friend told me she did that. So maybe I don't let myself have Oreos since my cravings are bad for them and I want to eat an ungodly amount... I don't think I'll have control. Instead I choose a different chocolate treat then fit it in my macros. Like a milkyway 230 cals and once I eat the serving it's gone. Stops the obsessive binge craving til another day and when I lose my craving for Oreos in replacement for another treat I'll let myself have Oreos.

Hope this advice helps a little! Good luck!
  • Mark_Thompson_833
    Mark_Thompson_833 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I also use a smaller plate. And I start by filling it half with veggies then protein and carbs on the other half. With binge eating, I do it at times and always feel so guilty. Remember why you started your journey and where you started from. I have a picture on my wall when I first stared my journey for a reminder, "I can't and will NOT go back". Good luck.

Agreed, I binge ate only last night, and felt Really bad. I woke up this morning and hit the gym straight away. And remembered what I want, and where l was.. No going back
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Feed your body only things it will no binge eat for a while until you are ready for them.

Eat less then 40g of carbs for a few weeks.
    Pig out on fat and protein.

Watch what happens. You'll stop binge eating.