I sit here thinking why?

Options
Why does drinking flavored water not count toward your daily water goal?
I have taken a stick of cinnamon and poured hot water over it and let it sit till it turns
a golden color and then drink it. I am on my second cup actually. I don't know I call it tea.
I have other "teas" that I bought that have nothing in it. No sugar, no calories, no anything that I can see
and when I enter it in my diary it comes up as 0 across the board. I drink way more water this way than I do
any other way, and I am just wondering why can that not be counted toward my water intake.. any help would be
appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think that counts as water! Do what works for you!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think many people would count that as water... I know I would.

I count my one or two cups of tea or coffee as water - but no more that that because of the caffeine. If I'm drinking a non-caffeinated beverage and it has no added sugars and such, I would definitely count it in my water count.
  • swimmamum
    swimmamum Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Count it as water! I would.

I think by flavoured water, they mean the Crystal Lights and all that stuff that's terrible for you. Stay away from fake sugars while you're dieting. It causes a false spike in insulin, which causes your body (muscles) to crave the energy it cannot get from those empty calories. I know it might not feel like it, but with aspartame sweetened drinks in your diet, it will take longer to lose.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I count my crystal light as water. I log the crystal light so it counts the calories but you need to go add it to the water as 2 glasses if you use 1 stick of crystal light.
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    I count everything liquid. Some people say to even count the liquids in your food. I don't go that far. I can tell you from personal experience that I have recently been to busy at work to get my 110 ounces in and it has affected my loss. I agree with the other posted, do what works for you. there is a ton of information and everyone here is so helpful but sometimes if I over search for information I end up overwhelmed. Do you have a lot of friends on here? Just ask them for advice. You are welcome to add me as well.
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    I count my crystal light as water. I log the crystal light so it counts the calories but you need to go add it to the water as 2 glasses if you use 1 stick of crystal light.

This for me too.

I do log Crystal Light in my journal because it does have calories, etc. but I also add 2 glasses of water because I mix it with about 18 ozs. of water.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Same here!!! I love crystal light, I literally live off of it!! I drink that and juice instead of soda.
  • jasyjen
    jasyjen Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree. Count it as water! I would.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I count my herbal teas as water. I don't add sugar and it has great nutrients with nothing that would cause it to slow hydration, so I figure why not.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it comes up as zero? You mean zero calories.....right? That's because water has no calories, fat, carbs, etc so of course it's going to show all zeros.. Entering water into your diary will not add to your "cups of water count" at the bottom, you have to enter that manually using the arrows.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    it not like your body know the names of stuff we gave food name. your body just process the stuff as it should. if water is in lettuce it will do the same thing with that water i would imagine. never understood why people think water has to be plain to be water period (shrugs) i would count it! i put lemon in mines and sometimes i do Crystal light when i get bore or decafe coffee and tea.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your advice. I saw somewhere where tea did not count toward your water goal of at least 8/8oz of daily water intake.. So I have been counting water only and not counting any herbal teas or my cinnamon tea which is really only flavored water. So my water intake looks low. Now I can drink my mango tea, my cinnamon tea and other flavored teas knowing that its is counting as my water also... look out, that water glass will be over flowing every day from now on... Have a great weekend everyone. xx
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah it counts as water. I would only drink diet cokes until I was introduced to crystal light. I drink way more water this way.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    it can and does count as water.

Ignore the advice about only plain pure water counting. There's nothing magical about drinking it plain.Think about what happens if you drink pure water with a meal? It all gets mushed up together in your stomach.

Cutting down on the artificial sweeteners and caffeine and alcohol in your fluids is a good goal.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have taken a stick of cinnamon and poured hot water over it and let it sit till it turns
    a golden color and then drink it. I am on my second cup actually. I don't know I call it tea.
    I have other "teas" that I bought that have nothing in it. No sugar, no calories, no anything that I can see
    and when I enter it in my diary it comes up as 0 across the board. I drink way more water this way than I do
    any other way, and I am just wondering why can that not be counted toward my water intake.. any help would be
    appreciated. Thanks

It counts. Anything that is caffeine free and 0 across the board I would count towards my water goal.