Drinking Water...how does it help?

Options
So I'm not a big water drinker seriously have to force myself. I avg 2-3 glasses per day and 2-3 tea.
So how does water help weight loss does it stop you retaining it?

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Your body needs water in general to function. This doesn't need to be just water though. It can be from tea, foods, other drinks. Reasons why I like water is because I enjoy the lack of taste, it's zero calories, and it can fill you up so you feel less hungry.

If you consume large amounts of sodium, drinking water can help with losing water weight
  • the_fit_geek
    the_fit_geek Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Water does many things! Flushes your system. Aids in metabolism. Aids digestion. Keeps your feeling fuller. What you shouldnt do is mix water with salt or simple carbs, like sweets, sugars, sodas, pastries, bakery items, etc.

Salt (sodium) will bloat you. You'll retain water. Note that most foods already have sodium in them. Naturally! So, adding extra salt is pointless, IMO. Instead, get Mrs. Dash. Use that for a salt alternative.

Next, sugars and simple carbs. Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad! And... wait for it... BAD! They do nothing for your body. No nutritional value. No metabolism support. Period! Plus, in the topic of water, they are water binding... causing further bloat and + on the scales. A few sweets in a week to calm the cravings is fine. Just don't make a habit of it.

As for gating water... do teas. Green tea. On-the-go Koolaid packets. Male your own lime aids. Fruit infused water. So many many ways to flavor water WITH 0-5 calories in a 32oz cup. 32oz of cold brewed Green Tea + 1 cherry To-go packet + 1 table ReaLime + ice... bam! I LOVE that. Dont like cherry? Chose your flavor packets. Lol

Hope this helps somewhat
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Water does many things! Flushes your system. Aids in metabolism. Aids digestion. Keeps your feeling fuller. What you shouldnt do is mix water with salt or simple carbs, like sweets, sugars, sodas, pastries, bakery items, etc.

Salt (sodium) will bloat you. You'll retain water. Note that most foods already have sodium in them. Naturally! So, adding extra salt is pointless, IMO. Instead, get Mrs. Dash. Use that for a salt alternative.

Next, sugars and simple carbs. Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad! And... wait for it... BAD! They do nothing for your body. No nutritional value. No metabolism support. Period! Plus, in the topic of water, they are water binding... causing further bloat and + on the scales. A few sweets in a week to calm the cravings is fine. Just don't make a habit of it.

As for gating water... do teas. Green tea. On-the-go Koolaid packets. Male your own lime aids. Fruit infused water. So many many ways to flavor water WITH 0-5 calories in a 32oz cup. 32oz of cold brewed Green Tea + 1 cherry To-go packet + 1 table ReaLime + ice... bam! I LOVE that. Dont like cherry? Chose your flavor packets. Lol

Hope this helps somewhat

Water is the best thing to drink after eating something salty. Ever wonder why you get thirsty after a bowl of popcorn or peanuts?
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Water is essential for metabolic processes. Infuse it with lemon. Tea is good, but several are diuretics.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Approximately 75% of your body is water. Making sure you are ingesting enough is the best way to insure that all of your systems are operating at their optimal level.

Drinking plain water is best, but if you really cannot stand it, any fluids will help. Just make sure you count any calories included and adjust for things like carbs that are in your beverages. I am partial to fizzy water I make myself with a SodaStream. I flavor it with a small amount of extract so I have no additional calories to count. Yes, you can count coffee, tea, milk, soda, etc. Even fruit contributes to water intake.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Think of it as kind of like the car oil of your body. It helps facilitate getting parts moving. That's a very simplified analogy. I just started drinking water more and it has improved not only my mood but energy level. I know the struggle as I've traditionally not drank much water myself. It doesn't taste great, it's a chore, you have to remember to have water wherever you go, and it's annoying having to pee all the time, especially with work. You really should be drinking 10-12 glasses minimum a day depending on gender, size, climate, activity etc. Do what I do. Plan for 16 oz every hour or so. Just down it. If you miss an hour oh well. Don't drink much more than that. You can't make up hydration by chugging 64 oz of water, needs to be a regular input.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Could it be that you have bad tap water?
    Have you tried bottled water? The gallon bottles from the store? Spring water? Just trying to help.
    McDonalds uses reverse osmosis for drinking water/soft drinks. It tastes awesome.
    Ask for $1 iced tea cup but instead ask for water.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You need to drink enough liquid (not necessarily plain water) to stay well hydrated. You'll be able to tell by your urine if you're adequately hydrated (it will be relatively clear or very pale yellow). Beyond that -- no, forcing yourself to drink more does nothing. And other than possibly adding some extra calories and caffeine, there is no harm in getting your fluid from tea, coffee, soda, etc. There's no reason to drink plain water if you don't like it.

Now some people believe water or other liquid helps them feel fuller, and that sometimes they think they're hungry when they're really just thirsty. I won't say those aren't true, because maybe for some people they are. I will say unequivocally that they are NOT true for me. I know when I'm hungry and I know when I'm thirsty and I don't get the two confused. And drinking fluid doesn't make me less hungry for food.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Water primarily keeps you from dying.
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I drink enough....just...but could drink more. I drink water/no added sugar juice when I'm thirsty not just because. I love tea but don't have chance to drink too much of it. Thanks all