What are your calcium sources?

Options
I eat a vegetarian diet, with no dairy, and I make my own nut milks so they have less calcium than fortified milks in the store, but also less additives, and I feel like I am always falling short on my calcium RDI. What do you guys usually eat for calcium, asides from beans and fortified foods? Thanks for your help. :)

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big milk drinker or yogurt eater, so I take a multivitamin with calcium.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are an excellent source of calcium! Also fortified OJ and tofu. I drink Silk soy milk.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    Oh spinach, kale and broccoli.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin and dairy. I know that dark green leafy veggies are good calcium sources.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Pizza, cereal w/ milk, cheese sticks, mozzarella cheese, spinach
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin and a calcium supplement. Soy milk. Vegan "cheese". Brussels sprouts.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I wouldn't eat vegan cheese every day just for the calcium, there are far healthier options but for every now and then it's ok.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    It's wierd I was just researching about calcium today too. I wondered if my 1 year old was getting enough and she definitely is. She drinks 1 1/ to 2 cups of soy milk a day, plus 1 tsp chia seeds and spinach in her morning smoothie. Obviously she only needs half the amount adults do but I find it funny that people worry so much about vegan kids and calcium.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help you at all with your dietary restrictions, but I mainly get mine from drinking a lot of milk.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    For me, milk, chocolate milk, pizza, ice cream
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Pills! I hate milk (and it hates me) so I find a multivitamin helps a great deal. It also gives me the iron I frequently fall short on, as well as some trace minerals that I don't even know what they do, but at least I'm now at 100%.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Bone meal supplements, and dairy.