Anyone have a 45" waist or a large waist but able to fit into smaller sizes?

Options
120poundstogo
120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
I have a 45" waist and am able to fit into a 14/16 at Lane Bryant but the size charts say I am a 3X according to my waist and I still can wear them but they are on the big side and I fit into Old Navy size 16 and XL and XXL

Replies

• SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2x or size 24 according to my waist but fit in an xl or 22 just fine and 2xl can be big on me depends on who makes the clothes. but a 24 is always huge on me no matter who makes it.

According to my hip size, I'm a 3x or size 26.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know the feeling. My waist is about 43in, but is out of proportion with the rest of my shape. I am fitting into 16 pants and jeans, but they do need some give in the waist. If I go larger, the legs and butt are way too big. I know what you are saying on the size charts. At this point, a 3X is huge on me.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is also notoriously large in their sizes. I wear an xsmall shirt there when I wear a medium at other stores. Same goes with their pants.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I really wish women's clothing was more standardized. Oh my goodness can you imagine if they were? Shopping would be so much easier. I've also seen the definition of "waist" change too between retailers- I've seen them define it as the smallest part of your torso underneath the bust, and also as the widest part below your belly button (which I would personally define as "hip size"). Obviously there is a good bit of difference there.

I've definitely stopped online shopping, as convenient as it is, and have started trying everything on in-store. That way I know something is going to fit and be flattering before I pay for it. Sometimes what you can fit into isn't the best guideline to go by- just because it technically fits doesn't mean that's the most flattering size. Sometimes going up a size makes you look a lot smaller than squeezing into something a tad too snug.
  • TheKevinFang
    TheKevinFang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is something called vanity sizing that shoppers should be well aware about. I have a 33 inch waist, and I find that even some 31/32 inch jeans are too loose for me! I have to wear 31 inch jeans from a specific retailer to ensure consistency with my belt :flushed:

The incentive for retailers to do this is that when you can fit into "smaller" size labelled jeans, it makes you more likely to buy from that retailer, due to dopamine release and such.

So yeah, always buy jeans in the high street, because you never know what kind of sizing tactics retailers are doing nowadays!
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    I think I am almost into a size 14 despite having still a really large belly! LOL
  • rg48772
    rg48772 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've being working in Apparel industry for over 30 years. And I can tell you, that sizing in US closing (men or women's) is not standardized. Each department store head quarter has merchandising department and they dictate fashion manufacturers sizing chart. So the same manufacturer (or design house) makes the same size and style with different measurements for different Department stores according their given specs.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    They're just trying to be nice! LOL!
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    rg48772 wrote: »
    I've being working in Apparel industry for over 30 years. And I can tell you, that sizing in US closing (men or women's) is not standardized. Each department store head quarter has merchandising department and they dictate fashion manufacturers sizing chart. So the same manufacturer (or design house) makes the same size and style with different measurements for different Department stores according their given specs.
    Thank you for your answer! Its really appreciated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Aren't most womens clothes today sized for vanity reason from seller to seller?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Aren't most womens clothes today sized for vanity reason from seller to seller?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think you're right about that! Thank you for posting!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!