Help correcting a food plan to meet 1200 but <130g carbs

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
It seems next to impossible to plan out a daily meal plan that hits 1200 cals minimum but doesn’t go crazy on carbs. I’m really trying to keep my carbs to 40-45% and it seems everything I add increases them too much

**All bran is my favourite food in the world and necessary fiber so all I ask is whatever you suggest, please don’t cut that out.

I’ve added in lots of protein and healthy fat b/c normally it’s hard for me to get 10g a day but even with this plan, I still can’t hit 1000 cals. That is NOT to say I’m only eating 1000 cals a day but it has happened to avoid going over on carbs.

Please advise! Thank you.

Breakfast:
½ cup all bran cereal (90 cals)
½ cup 1% milk1/2 cup strawberries

Morning snack:
10 almonds

Lunch:
1 can tuna (in water, drained) (110 cals)
½ tsp sriracha hot sauce
½ red pepper
30g avocado

Afternoon snack
Granny smith apple

Dinner
1, 100g Boneless, skinless chicken breast (85 cals)
½ red pepper
¼ cup dry couscous (150 cals)
½ zucchini
1 tsp evoo
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Evening snack/dessert
½ cup strawberries
10 almonds, crushed
100g Yoplait source 0% (35 cals)

= 930 cals (under by 270), 1322 mg sodium (under by 1178), 26g fat (under by 3), 119 carbs (under by 28, set at 45%), 77g protein (under by 28), 28g fiber (over by 3 set at 25g)

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    instead of yoplait you might try greek yogurt, lower carb higher protein. Also, the fruit is going to kill you. Instead of an apple you might try something like carrots.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    instead of yoplait you might try greek yogurt, lower carb higher protein. Also, the fruit is going to kill you. Instead of an apple you might try something like carrots.

3 servings of fruit a day is going to KILL ME? Wow, that's extreme. Since I asked for opinions I won't yell at you but ummm, wow.

Greek yogurt (the plain non fruit/sugar added kind) may have 18g of protein per 175g but also a whopping 12g of carbs so that it added to the carb probably without making significant increases in the protein area.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So is the problem you feel too full to eat more? Cause just doubling the chicken at night would help. Eating just a bit more at every meal would help too.

Otherwise I'd say it may be supplement time. One Premier Nutrition Protein bar (double chocolate crunch, my favorite) is 270 calories (puts you dead on at 1200), 330 mg sodium (still under), 6 g fat (over by 3), 26 g carbs (under by 2), 30 g Protein (over by 2), and 2 g fiber.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    No, I can definitely eat more than 1000 cals I just would like to keep the carbs to a minimum and notice every time I try to plan accordingly its too little food.

I had protein shakes forever and they were 120 cals 26g protein and 2g carbs and little to no sodium so that is probably better than bars but I feel it's so processed and not only that, other successful females on MFP seem to stick to 50-60g of protein but yet are still successful and I've been through the threads about eating 1g per kg of body weight but that isn’t the reality for those who have been successful with open food diaries.

The chicken breast I bought most recently is definitely low on cals so doubling up would be an option as well. Thanks for that tip and the nutritional bar recommendation, I'll look into that!

Considering I’m a BMI of 21 I know it’s hard to lose weight when you are in the healthy range but staying nutritionally balanced (carbs, fat, protein) seems mathematically impossible.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Agree, too much friut. Add some more raw veggies.
  • heathersmilez
    Options

Seriously, since when is 3 servings of fruit too much? 5-10 fruits and veggies is recommended a day. There are 3 fruit servings and 3 vegetable servings listed. Sure, I can add more veggies but just wondering where all the fruit hatred is coming from considering MFP’ers are constantly reassuring each other that the sugar listed in MFP doesn’t account for natural vs processed sugars so 2-4 fruits a day is more than fine, it’s recommended. Sources? Serious question, not a challenge.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options

3 servings of fruit a day is going to KILL ME? Wow, that's extreme. Since I asked for opinions I won't yell at you but ummm, wow.

Greek yogurt (the plain non fruit/sugar added kind) may have 18g of protein per 175g but also a whopping 12g of carbs so that it added to the carb probably without making significant increases in the protein area.

I think she just meant the fruit will kill your carb count!

Anyway. Have an egg or two with your breakfast if you like eggs. Or bacon! Twice as many almonds for snack. More meat at dinner. Full fat plain greek yogurt is pretty awesome with fruit or coconut on top. There are lots of little options you can add in without changing too much, but still staying under your carb goal.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Seriously, since when is 3 servings of fruit too much? 5-10 fruits and veggies is recommended a day. There are 3 fruit servings and 3 vegetable servings listed. Sure, I can add more veggies but just wondering where all the fruit hatred is coming from considering MFP’ers are constantly reassuring each other that the sugar listed in MFP doesn’t account for natural vs processed sugars so 2-4 fruits a day is more than fine, it’s recommended. Sources? Serious question, not a challenge.
    You asked a question. If you didn't want anyones opinion then don't ask the question.
    Fruit is loaded with wonderful, good, healthy carbs. If you want to lower your carbs you have to cut the foods that contain carbs. If you don't want to cut your fruit then don't.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No, I can definitely eat more than 1000 cals I just would like to keep the carbs to a minimum and notice every time I try to plan accordingly its too little food.

I had protein shakes forever and they were 120 cals 26g protein and 2g carbs and little to no sodium so that is probably better than bars but I feel it's so processed and not only that, other successful females on MFP seem to stick to 50-60g of protein but yet are still successful and I've been through the threads about eating 1g per kg of body weight but that isn’t the reality for those who have been successful with open food diaries.

The chicken breast I bought most recently is definitely low on cals so doubling up would be an option as well. Thanks for that tip and the nutritional bar recommendation, I'll look into that!

Considering I’m a BMI of 21 I know it’s hard to lose weight when you are in the healthy range but staying nutritionally balanced (carbs, fat, protein) seems mathematically impossible.

One more question. Most people when counting carbs and trying to get their totals all lined up, subtract fiber from their carbs to get "net" carbs. "Net" carbs are the ones that count since the fiber is listed as a carb but has no calories. So if your daily carb goal is 125 g but you eat 150 g of carbs and 25 g of fiber, then your actually hitting your totals even though it looks like your going over.
  • JennLifts
    Options

Sorry, you took me literally. I meant it's going to kill your carb count, as in shoot it up. Evidently bad working.. You asked for advice.
  • JennLifts
    Options

You asked a question. If you didn't want anyones opinion then don't ask the question.
    Fruit is loaded with wonderful, good, healthy carbs. If you want to lower your carbs you have to cut the foods that contain carbs. If you don't want to cut your fruit then don't.

Exactly what I meant. Thank you!
  • masonmst
    masonmst Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just cut the fruit out by 3 pm. That is what my PT suggested for me. :flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    Options

I think she just meant the fruit will kill your carb count!

Now THAT, makes sense, lol!
  • heathersmilez
    Options

Exactly what I meant. Thank you!

Yes, I asked for advise and I also specially asked what was up with all the fruit hatred, I never once put you down for saying it, I just asked.
  • heathersmilez
    Options

One more question. Most people when counting carbs and trying to get their totals all lined up, subtract fiber from their carbs to get "net" carbs. "Net" carbs are the ones that count since the fiber is listed as a carb but has no calories. So if your daily carb goal is 125 g but you eat 150 g of carbs and 25 g of fiber, then your actually hitting your totals even though it looks like your going over.

Ahhh (insert light-bulb icon here, lol), thanks!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Limit yourself to one fruit a day
    Stop eating cous cous do protein plus veggies for dinner splurge with a sweet potato once on a while
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Fruit = carb = hatred :)