Pasta?

Options
For my birthday, my friends are taking me to this cute little family owned pasta restaraunt that apparently makes amazing food. It's not really big, and doesn't have a website for nutritional value, and I've never been there before so I don't even know whats on the menu!
I want to get pasta, (it's my birthday and I've been really good! :blushing:) but I want to make healthy choices and not completely ruin my diet.

I know I want whole wheat noodles (if they have them), then what?
What kind of sauce is best, or noodles, or cheese, or extras?
Also, I will cut the plate in half, and only eat a portion of it, and not the whole thing.(Apparently they give you alot for your buck) As well, I will watch my calories that day and make sure I have room for a few more, and excersize. So now I just want to make some lower- cal, healthier pasta choices! But I don't know where to start :ohwell:

Replies

• Mimiche
    Mimiche Posts: 60
    Options
    For my birthday, my friends are taking me to this cute little family owned pasta restaraunt that apparently makes amazing food. It's not really big, and doesn't have a website for nutritional value, and I've never been there before so I don't even know whats on the menu!
    I want to get pasta, (it's my birthday and I've been really good! :blushing:) but I want to make healthy choices and not completely ruin my diet.

I know I want whole wheat noodles (if they have them), then what?
    What kind of sauce is best, or noodles, or cheese, or extras?
    Also, I will cut the plate in half, and only eat a portion of it, and not the whole thing.(Apparently they give you alot for your buck) As well, I will watch my calories that day and make sure I have room for a few more, and excersize. So now I just want to make some lower- cal, healthier pasta choices! But I don't know where to start :ohwell:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    It is likely that the vegetable-based toppings are lower calorie than the cheese-based ones. So, tomato sauce, or zucchini, rather than alfredo sauce. Parmesan is actually relatively low in calories. Generally, the harder the cheese, the lower the calories, since it is the fat that makes the cheese soft.

Have fun and enjoy yourself:smile:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday. :flowerforyou:

You really have already mentioned two smart things, whole wheat pasta & 1/2 portion. Say no to the garlic bread as well. I would also recommend a red sauce over a rich white sauce.

Also, what is the name of the restaurant, I might want to take the family there. :drinker:
  • Mimiche
    Options
    Thanks Sunflower :flowerforyou: I will! And I love vegitarian based meals, so thats def an option!
  • Mimiche
    Options
    Oh really? So tomato sauce would be better then alfredo?
    And Yes! No garlic bread, gets me everytime! Thanks ce_fit. I think the restaurant is called Amorosa or something like that, I've never been there or even seen it, my room mate just really likes the place!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Oh really? So tomato sauce would be better then alfredo?
    Anything cream based is going to be higher calorie than tomato based. That applies to sauces and soups as well. Eat slowly and enjoy your friends and your day. You deserve it!
  • Dustdevil
    Options
    I know that one bread stick from the olive garden is 140 calories. :sad: