I ate 2200 calories... will I still lose weight since I was highly active today?

I walked about 5.5 miles in about 98 minutes I sweated a lot and lost a couple of pounds of water weight like I usually do

I weigh about 205 pounds after a workout "walking is a workout for me" in the morning I'm about 207

I ate about 2200 calories today

My Fitbit says I am "over target" but it also says I have 120 calories left to eat for the day

I usually burn about 2900 calories on a walk day
Compared with 1900 when I'm sedentary but my numbers could be off but I doubt it because I use my Fitbit to track everything

Replies

• runlong16
    runlong16 Posts: 14 Member
    I wouldn't trust that you burn 1000 extra calories from walking, since I only burn about that much when I run 10 miles. Be really careful with fitbits and stuff as they are just guidelines. Make sure you know your BMR and target calorie ranges, and then don't log your walking calories. Eat only if you are hungry and make your calories count.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    runlong16 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust that you burn 1000 extra calories from walking, since I only burn about that much when I run 10 miles. Be really careful with fitbits and stuff as they are just guidelines. Make sure you know your BMR and target calorie ranges, and then don't log your walking calories. Eat only if you are hungry and make your calories count.

You don't weigh 205 pounds... You are fit, near or at goal and routinely running marathons. Your burn is not going to be the same as another person's burns even for the same exercise. % miles of walking in 98 minutes is a pretty good clip.

OP don't worry to much about what Fitbit says. Just go by what MFP is telling you. Make sure the two are synced. MIne often will tell me I am over budget but have a couple of hundred or more left in the day. It all balances out at the end of the day. I am almost always under budget at the end of the day even if it shows me over budget at dinner time.
  • runlong16
    runlong16 Posts: 14 Member
    That's only 50 pounds heavier than me. Be cautious about overestimating your burn.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    You have given your weight. What is your age and height, OP?

You haven't provided enough information to determine if 2200 is more or less than an estimated TDEE (for age/height/weight).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    I walked about 5.5 miles in about 98 minutes I sweated a lot and lost a couple of pounds of water weight like I usually do

I usually burn about 2900 calories on a walk day
    Compared with 1900 when I'm sedentary but my numbers could be off but I doubt it because I use my Fitbit to track everything

I track my walking as approx. 200 calories per hour. 98 minutes would be about 325 calories.

I know you're heavier than me, but you're not that heavy, and when I was at my heaviest I still only counted walking as just a little over 200 calories per hour. So in your case, I wouldn't count 98 minutes of walking as anything over 400-500 calories. Definitely not 1000.

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    edited June 2016
    If I remember right the estimate for calculating calories burned while walking is (0.57)x(weight in lbs) per mile. So 0.57 x 207 x 5.5 = 648.945

I don't know how much you're walking or active besides your 5.5 mile walk, but it could be that you're burning 1000 calories in total exercise (purposeful and incidental).

FWIW, I find my fitbit to be pretty accurate. I base this off of the fact that when I eat the amount it tells me to eat I lose weight at the rate I should be on average (avg 1lb/week).

The reason fitbit is telling you you're over target but have 120 calories left is because fitbit will only count the calories you've already burned (both the calories needed to keep you alive and active calories). You've eaten more calories than your goal right at this moment. But it's estimating that if you're completely still from now until midnight you will burn enough calories that you could eat 120 more and still be in the deficit goal you set. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    If I remember right the estimate for calculating calories burned while walking is (0.57)x(weight in lbs) per mile. So 0.57 x 207 x 5.5 = 648.945

I don't know how much you're walking or active besides your 5.5 mile walk, but it could be that you're burning 1000 calories in total exercise (purposeful and incidental).

FWIW, I find my fitbit to be pretty accurate. I base this off of the fact that when I eat the amount it tells me to eat I lose weight at the rate I should be on average (avg 1lb/week).

The reason fitbit is telling you you're over target but have 120 calories left is because fitbit will only count the calories you've already burned (both the calories needed to keep you alive and active calories). You've eaten more calories than your goal right at this moment. But it's estimating that if you're completely still from now until midnight you will burn enough calories that you could eat 120 more and still be in the deficit goal you set. Hopefully that makes sense.
    @ACSL3
    No that's a running estimate. Walking is a as far more efficient method of movement (no up and down movement which wastes energy).

These are common running and walking estimates:
    Net Running calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles)
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)

205 x 0.3 x 5.5 = approximately 338 cals