Anyone else semi-depressed upon reaching goal weight?

Options
I'm .6 pounds from goal, back into all my old clothes and instead of being excited, I feel a huge letdown.

I'm sure some of it is because when you've been so focused on a goal, reaching it sometimes leaves a sort of empty space. You were dedicated, working hard, doing well and then it's just over.

And I know some of it is although I know in my head I look absolutely fine, I certainly don't look the way I did the last time I was at this weight. There's a difference between years of dedicated workouts and a few months. I know in time, I'll look as fit as I did before.

Anyone else feel sort of blah about hitting goal?

Replies

• Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I just told my mom the other day when I hit my goal what will I have to talk about? losing weight is all I have ever known for years. This whole losing weight thing is such a mental game as well...
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm worried about this as well. I'm not sure my goal will be good enough for me even though it is a completely healthy and hopefully attainable weight. I'm afraid that no matter how much weight I might lose I won't look good.
  • bruteforceglory
    Options
    Just change your goal from losing weight to healthy lifestyle, you know, maintaining is also a hard work )
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You need new goals and new challenges to keep your momentum moving forward.
  • icerose137
    Options
    stupid duplicates
  • icerose137
    Options
    sorry duplicate
  • Virg_hill
    Virg_hill Posts: 1
    Options
    Hang in there. Don't expect your world to change dramatically because you lost weight. You have made a change to make your life so much easier because you have more energy and much better health.

The rest is up to you. Force yourself to do something for yourself - exercise or volunteer somewhere or whatever you will enjoy. I've been there, and I felt that everyone should come to me and keep my ego going strong, but that won't happen (not often anyway). It's up to you to realize WHY you lost weight, and that was for yourself, not for everyone else.

Life IS beautiful, and now that you are healthier, you can enjoy it more than before. You will get over the let-down, but you need to know the let-down is temporary. Don't blow it by comforting yourself with food that will take you right back where you were when you started.

I hope I helped, that's all I want to do!
  • dltang
    dltang Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just change your goal from losing weight to healthy lifestyle, you know, maintaining is also a hard work )

I agree, hitting your goal weight is only the beginning. A new goal has to be in place now, to maintain, get toned and live healthy. Congratulations by the way on hitting your goal weight, that is something to be proud of. Don't let it end your life, you have lots to talk about. You can share with so many others on how you accomplished your goal. There are many people here that need to know what you've gone through, how you did it and now how you are going to keep it. Don't let it get you down, celebrate what is to come.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is the easy bit.

Keeping it off is a challenge, even if you retain your healthy eating habits and only eat over maintenance occasionally, it all adds up. I know I've successfully lost weight and failed to maintain three times now.

So, you definitely do have something to focus on. :smile:
  • bellaandmouse
    Options
    BruteForceGlory makes a good point. Think of all the stats that speak to those who lose lots of weight only to put some or all of it back on. Perhaps your new goal should be to sustain your goal weight for 6 months and celebrate that accomplishment! Then set a new target of a year and so on. I have a friend who put back on 10 pounds within 45 days of hitting her goal and is now fighting to take it off again. So the challenge to maintain your goal weight is not trivial.

BTW---congrats for getting to your goal! That is a great accomplishment! :drinker:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes!! I've been battling with weight for probably a good 13 or so years and then all of a sudden I hit my goal (all of a sudden was actually two years of hard work) and then I had probably the worst six weeks or so of my 'dieting' life... I clung on to a deficit, i was starving myself and then binging. I still hated my body and thought the only way to change this was to lose more weight, which I really didn't need. I felt lost, like I wasn't sure how to be out in the real world and not focus on every bite that I put in to my mouth. I also wasn't prepared for the fact that I still felt big, I was expecting to just know that I was slim and when that didn't happen I questioned whether it was worth it...

It's been four months since I hit goal and after that first rocky period, things seem to be getting better. I'm starting to accept that I'm not fat anymore and that I don't have to hide my body away and I'm also starting to trust my instincts when it cones to my diet. I make good choices and enjoy healthy food and have managed to enjoy cheat meals and snacks without automatically binging which was something that happened a lot when I first hit goal. I'm still not a hundred percent there, but it's getting easier! I feel really optimistic about my future in terms of weight and food now... Hang in there! It's SO worth it!
  • Incisive
    Incisive Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Time to firm up. Get to the gym and tighten everything up by doing serious cardio and some heavy weights. Weights are fine for women too as we can't bulk up like men do but we certainly look leaner and more firm.