Finding this to be EXTREMELY hard

Options
Hello all, my name is Nicole aka SwippleCita. I am 31 years old.
I recently saw a nutritionist who put me on this new diet. it is incredibly difficult to do. I am basically not allowed to eat anything lol. I can have only brown rice (which is fine) and stone ground bread, only fat free milk and cheese and all the veggies i want. I cannot use any seasonings other then mrs dash (WHICH I HATE) and i work on the road (ems) i am not allowed to make any purchases on the road he said. I work 4 days a week from 8am-8pm. I am finding it so hard to stick to this diet...

I am hoping to use this app to help motivate me and track my intake of food. Im dying here lol, i've only lost 3 lbs in like 1.5 months and i keep fluctuating back and forth between 219-217 so im really not losing cause it goes up and down... anyone out there have any advice for me or some tips.. anything im desperate lol thanks :)

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Ok yeah I don't see how anyone could do that diet long term. I think you're probably better off using MFP and eating real food to lose weight. Good luck to you.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my advice is to ditch your "nutritionist" and follow the guidelines MFP makes for you, as well as the food pyramid :) You'll be happier and more likely to actually lose weight!

Good luck with your weight loss, and lean on MFP for support whenever you need it :)

Katie
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    In the beginning just try to add some fresh fruit and veggies to your diet. Eat smaller portions when you eat your meals. When you can make sure you choose whole grains, non processed meats and fresh, or fresh cooked veggies. Eat a lot of salads but keep dressing on the side and don't use all of it. I dip my fork in the dressing as I eat my salad it helps control the amount I eat and I still have the taste on my tongue. Start out slow and make small changes. As the small changes get easier then make more small changes. Good Luck.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Is your nutritionist putting you on an elimination diet or trying to find a food allergy? I have a friend who had to cut out specific foods to find out why she wasn't sleeping at night and making her stomach hurt. If you are on this diet just to lose weight, try to stick with what they are telling you to do. Although, I agree with the others, it seems very restrictive just for weight loss. I am enjoying all types of food and 1,200 calories can go a long way if making smart choices. Feel free to send me a friend request if you wish to look through my food diary. Good luck and I wish you much success!
  • minke_moo
    minke_moo Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh, that's such an unrealistic diet and you're going to end up with such a bad relationship with food, not to mention resenting everyone around you who's eating 'normal' food. Get rid! The best way to lose weight is eating little and often and keeping track of everything you consume.I've only been using MFP for a few days but it's really helping me with my goals. Do you exercise at all? I'm especailly enjoying putting my workouts in and seeing how many extra calories I'm allowed - I can then treat myself to a glass of wine or something else naughty. I honestly wouldn't carry on with your nutritionist's diet - it's majorly flawed. Good luck!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sounds too strict!! I'm mostly at home and would find that hard to stick with. I think you are wasting your money on that nutritionist. Try just using MFP and see if you start losing, then tweak from there as you go along to see what works for you.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello all, my name is Nicole aka SwippleCita. I am 31 years old.
    I recently saw a nutritionist who put me on this new diet. it is incredibly difficult to do. I am basically not allowed to eat anything lol. I can have only brown rice (which is fine) and stone ground bread, only fat free milk and cheese and all the veggies i want. I cannot use any seasonings other then mrs dash (WHICH I HATE) and i work on the road (ems) i am not allowed to make any purchases on the road he said. I work 4 days a week from 8am-8pm. I am finding it so hard to stick to this diet...

I am hoping to use this app to help motivate me and track my intake of food. Im dying here lol, i've only lost 3 lbs in like 1.5 months and i keep fluctuating back and forth between 219-217 so im really not losing cause it goes up and down... anyone out there have any advice for me or some tips.. anything im desperate lol thanks :)

That diet sounds like something they'd use to kill you slowly. Seriously you can only eat what you listed?? No lean meats, nuts, cereals, etc etc....I can see this being a problem while on the road unless yo have some place to keep food cold. My husband is a corrections officer for our state and they cannot bring in their own food, so he has to eat what they serve BLAAH!!!
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the nutritionist. No protein? No fruit? The diet he/she put you on is not something anyone could maintain long term. Which means you are not teaching yourself a new lifestyle. Its not like you can lose the weight and then go back to the way you ate before. Everyone has to learn balance and how to eat in a healthy way so that the weight stays off. Also, fat free things generally have more sugar to compensate for the taste the fat gives.

Good luck to you!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I would question a couple of things. First, do you have any medical issues that the nutritionist based this plan on? Was there a specific reason for this plan? And second, what are the nutritionist's credentials? Unfortunately, some nutritionists don't actually have much in the way of education or certification, so you need to be extra careful in checking their credentials. A registered dietitian will have much more education and actually has to be licensed.

While some of those are good recommendations (switching to brown rice, whole grains, lots of veggies), unless there are other foods included, it's not really a complete diet. And, as with lots of "diet plans", if it's not sustainable then it's useless. Obviously if you have any medical issues that require a specific diet, then you have to do what you have to do. But otherwise, trying to get too restrictive or setting up a plan that's incompatible with your lifestyle/career just sets you up for failure. Really, a healthy weight loss plan should NOT be all that hard or make you feel very deprived. It's never easy, but if it's going to work it has to be something you can live with long term.

So, unless there are medical issues to consider, I would highly recommend seeing an RD or simply following MFP's general recommendations after putting in your info (you may need to tweak things down the line, but to set up your plan, it's pretty reliable.)
  • Grimlock1030
    Options
    Your diet sucks and that person should be punched in the face.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if you saw the nutritionist for healthy or allergy reasons but if it was just for losing weight there are better ways to do it. You need to find some way to make small, manageable changes to your diet for the better. I started out by cutting out fast food in 2005, then by adding running in 2007, eliminating soda in 2008, then eliminating meat in 2010. I have lost over 30 lbs doing this, but YOU need to find what works for you. I also found that when I started tracking my food in 2010 here that I realized just how much I was eating...simply watching your portion control and adding some activity every day will help you lose weight. Start by setting 5 lb loss goals and rewarding yourself when you reach them (spa day, new clothes, etc).

Good luck! My blog has some tidbits about what has worked for me also
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Unless ur nutritionist put u on the eating plan for medical reasons... I would agree with the rest ditch that guy..... I think this site has proven with a bit of diligence in tracking ur food, and maybe tweaking some to lower fat and lower calorie... u can achieve with your meal planning and exercise
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    umm, I dont know how that is a nutritionally rounded diet nor can I imagine you're getting enough calories that aren't bread and cheese. you NEED healthy fats and protein. I agree with the above. you can get all the support and encouragement and guidance you need from MFP. Add me if you would like. :)
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options

HAH. I like this response!! Because after day two of this diet, as stated, I would do just that.
  • Xlyinia
    Xlyinia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others that say your "nutritionist" is WRONG! I have gal bladder problems, an organic junkie, I do not eat anything with preservatives due to allergies, and I am a vegetarian and my diet is more varied than that. And despite all the crazy docs I went to over the years to lose weight, none of them ever told me to stop using seasonings: I can see cutting back salt, but I would literally die without herbs and spices. Gratend I would have listened if they told me to dance naked in the rain on a full moon if I thought it would help. I've tried everything under the sun to lose weight and I really mean everything. But the only thing that works is eatign like a real person and staying active.

Honestly unless there is some earth shattering reason for this crazy diet, and they have given you hard evidence that it will help, then I say ditch it. Eat small portions of good healthy food, excercise as much as you can without injury, and allow yourself a treat once in,a while. You cannot be on a diet the rest of your life. Learn to eat the right way now and the weight will come off, and you won't have to worry about crashing and burning on this nutso diet.
  • justimogen
    justimogen Posts: 76
    Options
    Don't hold back. How do you REALLY feel? :laugh:

I agree, though. If the OP is only allowed to eat exactly what is listed, that is not a balanced diet. Is the majority of the protein coming from fat-free dairy? Ugh!

ETA: The only way I see the logic in this plan is if it is some sort of elimination diet.
  • enela
    enela Posts: 9
    Options
    I hope this is a short term diet (1-2 weeks maximum) just to get you jump started. My doctor had me on the Optifast 2 times a day and my other meal was Protein and a vegetable.... but only for a WEEK. I almost went crazy for that week. I never felt full.
    Then she encouraged me to join MFP.
    So now I still use the optifast for one meal but eat normal food the rest of the time... avoiding sugars and extra fat of course.
    I sure LOVE my turkey and swiss sandwich . It fills me up and it is only about 250 calories!

good luck finding a happy medium with your diet plan.

alene
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    If the nutritionist got a real good reason to why you have to be strict... then... I'm sorry there nothing i can help you with... but if there is no logic reason... :)

these tips will help :)

its would be a lot easier for you if you werent so strict with your food.
    I agree on the low fat to no fat thing. ♥

It helps to keep you away from the bad fat your dont need

this is what i do. Anything that has 3 grams of fat or less per severing (you can have it)
    anything from Low Fat to Non Fat is good too. (but you should look before you purchase)

your Nutrition telling you to avoid meat?
    (I would go as lean as you can.) their not high in fat.
    Like chicken breast, turkey breast, and if you want red meat try to find one that look more lean. if they have how much it is.
    get the one that has the less fat. the lowest fat i have ever seen was a 97/3 I was like WOW!!! :D

go ahead put seasons on your food. just dont over do it.
    (if you still not used to the taste of food without sodium) just put very little... a little can go a long way.

Only Grain Food. :)
    whole grain/ whole wheat or Rye if you like that

Im losing weight and working out just fine..
    plus I eat out once in a while...
    Just be prepared when you do go out to work.
    If you dont have time to make your food (you can make em the day before)
    or buy things that you can actually eat while you are out on the road. ♥ make sure their feeling, cause sometime you want more than what you ate.

and of course any veggi you like
    I go by MFP. :) and i still enjoy my food. :)
  • SwippleCita
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm so shocked at all the feedback I've gotten!!! ok so i rushed and noticed i did miss a few things. I am allowed to eat all the veggies I want and most fruits, No bananas and very little pineapple and mangos, berries no more then a cup. as far as meat goes I can eat it once all the skin and fat is removed and i must cook it on one of those broiler racks so that everything is dripped off, no seasonings other then mrs dash (as i stated i hate that stuff)..... i am not allowed ANY condiments, dressings, oils, nuts, etc. IM NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO DRINK JUICE. he said if im thirsty eat the fruit.

no this is not for any medical reason or allergies. i said i want to lose weight and that is the xerox copy he gave me. i wish i could photo copy it so i can post it up here. maybe someone knows how i can do that?

im sure that with the people I meet here I can go along way! thank you so much guys..

btw I'm 5'6" and currently 217 lbs started at 220 in May or April..
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm so shocked at all the feedback I've gotten!!! ok so i rushed and noticed i did miss a few things. I am allowed to eat all the veggies I want and most fruits, No bananas and very little pineapple and mangos, berries no more then a cup. as far as meat goes I can eat it once all the skin and fat is removed and i must cook it on one of those broiler racks so that everything is dripped off, no seasonings other then mrs dash (as i stated i hate that stuff)..... i am not allowed ANY condiments, dressings, oils, nuts, etc. IM NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO DRINK JUICE. he said if im thirsty eat the fruit.

no this is not for any medical reason or allergies. i said i want to lose weight and that is the xerox copy he gave me. i wish i could photo copy it so i can post it up here. maybe someone knows how i can do that?

im sure that with the people I meet here I can go along way! thank you so much guys..

btw I'm 5'6" and currently 217 lbs started at 220 in May or April..

Still too restrictive in my opinion. Success for long-term weight loss and maintenance will come with learning how to eat properly. Portion control, cutting out unhealthy foods slowly, adding fruits and vegetables and being able to plan ahead. Then will come the challenge of substitutions and modifications made at restaurants to meet YOUR nutritional needs. Not what the restaurant has listed on their menu. When you have learned to make changes to your lifestyle, the weight will drop. It may be slow, but it WILL come off. And chances of you not giving up, burning out OR putting weight back on will greatly decrease. Good luck to you!