How to calculate body fat % loss

Options
When it comes to working with fractions and percentages, math is not my strength. I am having a very hard time then figuring out progress toward my goal.

I've read that it is safe and doable to lose 1% of body fat per month, but I don't know how to calculate that. Which is proper?

A. Current BF% 25.6
Minus % rate of 1
Equals goal of 24.6% ?

Or B. do you take 1% of 25.6 (which is .256) and subtract that for a goal of 25.4?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Take your weight multiply by 0.256 that's the amount of fat on your body. Take 1% of that and you have your monthly loss target.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,004 Member
    Options
    that's great for setting a goal, but unless you plan to spend money for expensive lab testing every month, how do you plan to measure progress toward your goal? The monthly change is probably going to be within the error range of impedance measurements (scales and handheld devices) and calipers.

You may be worrying about something you're not going to be able to accurately measure anyway.
  • mamakatia790
    mamakatia790 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can use a fat loss monitor to keep track on your body fat. My husband bought this one from Amazon for 20$.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ignore anything telling you about a formula because they don't know what they're talking about. There are specific scales that create a pulse to gather information to determine bf that are somewhat accurate. The best method I know of requires a special tank you get in that sports physiology research places (like a local U) have.
  • foxtayle
    foxtayle Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm aware there's going to be a measure of error without the super expensive lab equipment, so what I'd like to do is check it a couple ways (calipers with coach help, handheld device, and I have a scale at home the creates the pulse to check body fat and water %'s). Ultimately I know I'm looking for an overall downward trend.

Knowing progress may not always be a straight line, I'd still appreciate having a general outline to help keep me motivated. That's what works for me.

What I'm asking for is: how do I (mathematically) subtract 1% from my original body fat %. I don't think involving my body weight comes into play, especially if I increase muscle mass making my overall weight increase while body fat reduces.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have one of those scales that does the electrical impedance measurement and pretends to tell me my body fat % and my body muscle %. I accept that it's inaccurate. However, I use it once each month to get an observation of the trend, and for that it is useful.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking BF % and don't care too much about the accuracy of the absolute number then a bio impedence scale over time would possibly be your best bet. But the actual figure can be discarded and any variation in short time frames can too.

The formula up thread makes no sense because you're talking about LBM to fat ratios which differ by individuals hence an average number won't work