Weighing pasta/spaghetti?

Options
Do you weigh before or after cooking? I ask because 100g of wholemeal pasta ends up almost 200g after boiling.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Always before
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The weight on the package is before. Just weigh it after cooking and assume that weight is double it's raw amount
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Always before since the weight after cooking will depend on how much water it absorbs and it won't always be the same.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Before. All of my packages say dry weight on label. You don't weigh it after because the after weight will vary depending on how long you boil it. The longer you boil it the more water it will absorb.
  • mauriziovecchione234
    Options
    Weigh before cooking always. I am italian and i know very well pasta.
  • Zewwy
    Zewwy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    But if you're making a big pot of pasta for your family, and you weigh it before, how do you know what portion for yourself?

Do you take out a portion that weighs double what you want the uncooked portion to be?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You can do either.
    Just use the appropriate entry in the database: "pasta, dry" or "pasta, cooked".
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Say you cook 400g of dry pasta. Get the calories for 400g of pasta. Then divide your cooked pasta up into portions. If you divided into 4 portions, divide the calories by 4. If you divide into 2 portions, divide total calories by 2 and so on. Otherwise if you can be bothered you could cook your serving of pasta separately.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Zewwy wrote: »
    But if you're making a big pot of pasta for your family, and you weigh it before, how do you know what portion for yourself?

Do you take out a portion that weighs double what you want the uncooked portion to be?

Either weigh and cook yours separately, or accept that there may be some inaccuracy, and preferably err on the side of caution.
  • Zewwy
    Zewwy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you!