Is this possible?

Options
I have been dieting and working out for 84 days. I have lost 23 lbs, but according to a diet recomposition calculator I have gained 1 lb of lean body mass. Could that be correct?

Replies

• rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Knowing lbm would indicate you could know body fat from an online calculator which you can't, only get a vague hypothetical guess.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I can't say that your calculator is definitely correct but gaining lean mass while in a deficit is possible. Some reading for you:

http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use the inbody 230, or 320, body composition analyser to track my progress and I had something similar, but only after a stint of intermittent fasting.

It's really rare but not impossible.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Could be for sure. I will say that my calculated lean mass moved around a lot based on measurements.

Went for a Dexa scan a few weeks ago and my actual lean mass is less than what I get with measurements. It is possible my measurement based results are extra wonky because of my waist/hip ratio being .6 something, or IOW being an hourglass.

Looks like my goal is 136 to get to 25% body fat. A project to start in a couple of weeks.

If you get to a point where you are really curious see about BodPod or Dexa in your area. Personally I don't think I would do so great on the water one. I found Dexa available for $40 at a local university.