swimming goggle recommendations (UK)

Options
Hi guys,

I've started swimming regularly but haven't managed to overcome my dislike of putting my face in the water! I think some decent goggles would help with this, especially as I also wear contact lenses. I've had some on the past but they've all just let water in. Has anyone got any recommendations for the best ones to get (ideally not too pricey but I accept I'll need to pay a reasonable price to get some decent ones)

Any advice much appreciated

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I got some from my local pool - speedos, they were only 10 pounds. I wear contacts because I have HORRIBLE short sightedness (-5 and -7 or something) and like to swim, as well as do aquafit. When wearing my goggles, I can stick my head underwater regularly when doing breaststroke with no problems. The only downside is when I take the goggles off, I have the unslightly pressure marks around my face from wearing them for an hour!!!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    specsavers do some for under £20 with lenses
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I used to be a swimmer and we always used speedo or keefer. but we also used the bungee-like straps to put on them so that they could be tightened and loosened more specifically. You could find them in a sports store or online at keefer.com. good luck! :)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    The Speedo Vanquisher has been the only goggles I have worn in 10 yrs. They have all different options of lenses so if you swim outside you can get darker lenses or if you swim inside, you can get the light or clear lenses. They have a rubber seal around the lenses which helps with comfort along with a variety of sizes of nosepieces so you can switch them out to fit you well. I don't know about the UK but they are only $16 in the U.S.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All 4 of my daughters have been on swim teams. When it comes to goggles each one of them have different preferences it all depends on your eye and face shape.You need to try them on. Put them up to your eyes and press them into place the suction should hold them in place without the strap, if it doesn't try another pair. I've had the best luck with Spedo and TYR. Note: I've found the most expensive one are not always the best.
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I was going to buy online but now I think I'll go and try some on. Cheers guys!
  • chrisuy
    chrisuy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    +1 for the Speedo Vanquishers. That's what I use now and I love them.

For a long time, I would swear the old school "swedes". The kind with the plastic eye sockets with no cushion that you have to put together. They don't look comfortable, but they are very much so. And they don't distort your view as much as a lot of the other offerings out there.

I've worn both kinds for years and would gladly wear either again. The Vanquishers are probably easier to find at a retail store and are you can readjust them. They'll be more expensive than swedes though which you do have to assemble and can't really adjust at all after you put them together.
  • pauljohnsadler
    Options
    TYR Nest Pro goggles are great.
  • boobear42
    boobear42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm using a pair of Speedo Vanquisher prescription goggles (mine is -5.5) . They're fog resistant, and they come with various sized nose pieces for optimal fit. So far so good! I can see just fine in the water!