Ladies: Were you shocked by your body fat %?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to answer because it's about body composition

Take me for instance...I have a large frame (by wrist and forearm measurements), decent amount of muscle (from weight training). I'm 5'8, at goal at 160 (give or take 3lbs either way). My body fat percentage currently is around 22-23% (scale says 21%) which is considered lean for my age

at 215 scale was at 33% which for my height and age was still deemed ok.

You cannot rely on the overall number from your scale ..it's generally pants ...I didn't believe my scale when it was higher or lower)

And the best solution I've ever found for the body fat percentage conundrum, if not doing stage figure competitions, is to jump up and front of a mirror nekkid...if it jiggles and isn't boobs it's BF
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my BF done properly - it's on the To Do list. My Aria average (which I know is not accurate) is around 18%, and went as low as 16% when I was in deficit. I am very lean and boney on top, and carry fat in my thighs especially - a pear. It's not the greatest look because I'd like to lean my legs out another 5 pounds, but I fear it would somehow come off in the wrong places.

I feel like my top half and bottom half need totally different BF numbers!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just did the little device at the YMCA during personal training. I don't know how accurate it is. I was at 40.8%. Shocking, yes. I have lost 89 lbs and am now in the overweight category per BMI. I have begun strength training and am going to concentrate on gaining lean muscle.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Never tested my body fat in any way... tried that military fat test thing and it puts me at 28%, My BMI is 23 right now. When comparing my looks to pictures that represent different BF % I would say 25% looks about right... so I guess 25-28 would be probably correct. I'm fine with that... however I'm still 3-8 lbs away from my original goal weight so it will likely get a bit lower.

Also everyone that is freaking out about being 30-31 and 'obese' it really is not that bad, relax, BF % categories lack Overweight category!

I think the pictures that represent body fat % are a good visual reminder and more helpful than just a number %. Do you have the link for that?
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Haven't read thread but who told you 31% BF for a woman is obese? Because that's clearly incorrect

ai5s0fe1tol3.jpeg

Oh whew! You saved the day! How did I miss your post? I am lower average body fat for a woman my age at 30% BF. I will try to get it into "ideal". Thank you for this chart! But I plan to work at inching that down even more. The weight comes off at a snail's pace now versus 20 years ago.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Never tested my body fat in any way... tried that military fat test thing and it puts me at 28%, My BMI is 23 right now. When comparing my looks to pictures that represent different BF % I would say 25% looks about right... so I guess 25-28 would be probably correct. I'm fine with that... however I'm still 3-8 lbs away from my original goal weight so it will likely get a bit lower.

Also everyone that is freaking out about being 30-31 and 'obese' it really is not that bad, relax, BF % categories lack Overweight category!

I think the pictures that represent body fat % are a good visual reminder and more helpful than just a number %. Do you have the link for that?

This one?
    check_your_body_fat_percentage_woman.jpg

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    My 2 cents...it takes a lot to move the needle on body fat even while losing weight and dropping BMI.

So true. Started out MO a few years back and something like 58%. Down a bit over 100 pounds from that and currently at 30.8% Smack in the middle for my age on the chart Sued0nhim posted, but a good stretch away from my goal of 25% or better.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

This one?

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png

The links don't show up for me. I will try to Google.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

This one?

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png

Did realize you wanted only links. Must not have pictures on mobile.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52d356b4e4b02276b3d9b442/t/52d36047e4b06d9fa0396aca/1389584457007/Women+Fat.jpg
    http://nicefitbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/women-body-fat-percentage.png
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just had mine checked and it says 21%...(think it's recommended 21% to 33% or something?) which I find very hard to believe, wondering if they're always that correct...
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options

This one?

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png

Did realize you wanted only links. Must not have pictures on mobile.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52d356b4e4b02276b3d9b442/t/52d36047e4b06d9fa0396aca/1389584457007/Women+Fat.jpg
    http://nicefitbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/women-body-fat-percentage.png

(Yeah, my mobIle phone doesn't show images all of the time but these came through). Based on the examples in the photo I am definitely 30% BF. I would love to get down to what the girls in the 22-25% range look like. I had that in the past so it is attainable. BMI measurements say I am 25 now so it must be comparing apples to oranges figuratively comparing standard BMI with military body fat calculations.
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone! My BMI is just under 25 and my brother is 30%. It is higher than I would like. Thanks for the chart - I guess I'm average for my age but would like to move towards ideal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone! My BMI is just under 25 and my brother is 30%. It is higher than I would like. Thanks for the chart - I guess I'm average for my age but would like to move towards ideal.

Hi @andrea_nichol

I think you are confusing BMI and BF

BMI - body mass index is a number and simply a ratio of height to weight, falling between 20 and 25 BMI means you are less at risk of specific health issues correlated with weight. It is useful for populations but less so for individuals, although it's good enough idea for around 80% of population and a decent starting point
    Men and women have the same boundaries

BF - body fat is a percentage estimate of how much fat as a proportion of lean body mass. Hard to measure ..the most accurate way is dexa scan (out by 1-3%) then bodpod (hydrostatic) ...scales showing bio impedance are least accurate (7-13%)
    Men and women have very different boundaries
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No. I don't know what my body fat % is, and I don't want to know.

There's no end to what they will come up with to create insecurities and reasons for dissatisfaction and feeling of inadequacy. I am 45 years-old and decided to pass on this one.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've just been using the same scale for the past 28 months. When I started at 268 pounds it said I was 55% BF, now that I'm at 131 pounds it says I am 21.8% BF. I know these scales are not accurate at all but I just use that number as another tool to measure progress over time. I would guess I am at least 5% higher than that though.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I went to a nutritionist late last year, her fancy scale put me at 44.9% body fat. Since February 2016, I have been working out (both cardio & weightlifting), eating healthier, and logging calories. I have lost about 40-45 pounds since February and according to the Military Body Fat Calculator, I am at 41.3%. I'm not sure how I feel about that though; I was really hoping that I would have lost more body fat but then again I'm not sure how accurate it is (nor am I certain about my nutritionist's scale accuracy).

Comparing body fat changes using 2 different methods is misleading because they all have different margins of error. You should measure progress by using the same method because the error will be the same throughout.

So either go back and re-measure at your nutritionist's scale to see the change since the first time OR if you've started using the Military calculator, use the new number as your baseline from now on to see how you're progressing. I used it from the beginning and still do but whenever I checked body fat using the handheld scales at my gym, the result was always different, which is to be expected. All that matters is an accurate measure of the change over time as opposed to 100% accuracy.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    gypsy8080 wrote: »
    I'm 5'7" and 212 right now. Obviously I'm pretty heavy for my height; and the bulk of my weight is in my belly, arms, and chest. Anyway, my little home scale says my BF percentage is 42% right now, though it's down from 45% when I started in January. I'm horrified at that number, but at least I can be glad it's come down a little. My goal weight is somewhere between 130 and 140, and I wonder at what weight my BF percentage will get into the acceptable range. I always hate seeing that number flash at me when I weigh myself because, even if I've lost a pound or two, I'm always reminded that I'm composed of 42% flab.
    According to - http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html - the ranges are:
    Essential: 12-15%
    Athletes: 16-20%
    Fitness: 21-24%
    Acceptable: 25-31%
    Obese: 32%+
    (FYI-the above ranges might be using the Navy/Military Formula in that link, so you might want to use it to see how it differs from the 42% showing on your home scale), but let's go with 42% for the sake of calculation.
    42% x 212 = ~89 lbs Fat Mass (And therefore 123 lbs Lean Mass=bones, organs, muscle, fluids etc)

By exercising, the goal is to preserve your Lean Mass as you lose weight, but it's realistic and normal to expect to lose some, even upto 20%. But let's be optimistic and say you'll only lose 10% of 123 lbs of Lean Mass, or 12 lbs and therefore retain about 111 lbs of Lean Mass.

Let's say you want to reach the low end of the Acceptable Range above, ie 25% and the 111 lbs of Lean Mass will be 75% of your new weight, then:
    Total Weight=111 lbs/0.75=~148 lbs
    Final Fat Mass=25% x 148=37 lbs
    Current Fat Mass=89 lbs
    You therefore need to lose 89-37lbs=52 lbs of FAT. And we assumed you'd lose another 12 lbs of Lean Mass (most of which is probably water especially if you exercise)
    So, total weight loss is 52+12=64 lbs.

BUT, you mentioned you wanted to get to 130-140 lbs. Let's use the median of 135 lbs and assume you want to preserve the same amount of lean mass above of 111 lbs.
    Your final body fat would be 135-111=24 lbs
    Final Body Fat % = 24/135=~18% which would be in the Athletic Body Fat range above.
    Total Fat Mass lost =89-24=65 lbs of pure FAT.
    Estimated Lean Mass lost (from above)=12 lbs (10% of original LM of 123)
    Total Weight lost=65+12=77 lbs

TLDR: To reach 25% body fat, lose 64 lbs of which 52 lbs is FAT and 12 is Lean Mass (hopefully water not muscle)
    To reach 135 lbs, lose 77 lbs of which 65 lbs is FAT and 12 is Lean Mass.
    Assumptions:10% of original Lean Mass is lost. It could be higher or lower depending on diet and exercise.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

This one?

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png

I find these photos so hard to decipher because 25% looks a lot heftier in the second set of pictures than in the first. If I follow the navy calculator I'm 22%, if I follow the WW scale I'm 24%, if I follow these picture representations I'm anywhere between 20 and 25% depending on which one you're using. Am I the only one who finds the discrepancies between these kinds of charts really confusing? Buellar?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

This one?

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png

I find these photos so hard to decipher because 25% looks a lot heftier in the second set of pictures than in the first. If I follow the navy calculator I'm 22%, if I follow the WW scale I'm 24%, if I follow these picture representations I'm anywhere between 20 and 25% depending on which one you're using. Am I the only one who finds the discrepancies between these kinds of charts really confusing? Buellar?

I think the charts show, in part, how different body shapes show fat differently. They could be helpful if your body shape lines up with the pictures but are not if it doesn't or if you have loose/stretched skin in spots. They are one tool and work well for some women but not for others.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

This one?

Or this one?
    bodyfat_women.png

Yeah those pictures are not helpful at all... plus they focus on the midsection so are probably completely inaccurate for pears (or people like me who have thin limbs but most of their fat/loose skin in the midsection). I know that I'm around 20-21% for legs and arms (but I have loose skin too), but closer to 25% for midsection... so who knows.

Better to just focus on being fit and healthy...