"Stubborn belly fat"

Options
You rarely see a commercial for some new diet pill, diet program, or workout machine that doesn't mention "that stubborn belly fat". With your experience, is "stubborn belly fat" a myth? I am a male, 6'1, and was at 233 when I started my lifestyle change. I am now down to 214, and I feel like my stomach has gotten smaller and I've gotten a lot of comments on losing weight, but I hate the way my stomach looks! I mean, my goal is to be 20-25 pounds lighter before I start maintenance mode (185-195 ideally) and that fat has to come from somewhere. I can easily "pinch an inch" and then some and I don't care for that feeling at all.

Has anyone else had issues getting rid of this so-called "stubborn belly fat" or is it just a myth that these companies all try to spread to get your money?

Replies

• bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello, I don't know if it is a myth or not but boy oh boy do I ever have the "stubborn belly fat" and it is other places too!!!! LOL feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like to. I would love to motivate and support you on this journey.

Hugs
    Bev
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello, I don't know if it is a myth or not but boy oh boy do I ever have the "stubborn belly fat" and it is other places too!!!! LOL feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like to. I would love to motivate and support you on this journey.

Hugs
    Bev
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the "stubborn belly fat" is a reference to how difficult it is to lose those last 10 pounds.
    So no, it is not a myth, because it seems impossible to lose that last bit of belly fat (in my case at least).
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    Definitely not a myth! I'm fairly close to my goal but I'm nowhere near happy with how my stomach looks. It's like the fat has melted off everywhere else but there! However I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for 11 days now and the 'stubborn belly fat' is FINALLY starting to disappear! Fingers crossed it will soon be gone all together, lol.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I never had 'stubborn belly fat' until I had my son, and now I definitely do!
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    I reckon its a side effect of our lifestyles - sugar and cortisol (stress). I have lost 20lbs and can still pinch a good inch! It's a pain in the bum but I think i've resolved myself to having a "meaty" tummy instead of a 6-pack :-(
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I reckon its a side effect of our lifestyles - sugar and cortisol (stress). I have lost 20lbs and can still pinch a good inch! It's a pain in the bum but I think i've resolved myself to having a "meaty" tummy instead of a 6-pack :-(

Not me! I will not give into the fat! I changed up my Cardio and began doing some p90x and in one week I have noticed a little difference.
  • mom2ajnsz
    mom2ajnsz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i definitely have the stubborn belly fat and i don't believe any diet pill will ever conquer it the way exercise will. sounds like you and I both need to concentrate on an ab workout. crunches, planks, all the tough stuff! good luck.
  • Carriesund
    Carriesund Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have that stupid stubborn belly fat. I am rocking these super sexy muscles in my arms and legs even my rear end looks good with my new exercise regimen of spend every hour in some type of dance class that I can afford. So a good 10+ hours of pole dancing fitness mixed with a little Latin and maybe some ballroom now that my rehearsals are over. Then I also do some at home. I eat healthy almost all the time and I still can't seem to move this belly fat. I guess it will take more time. So not it is not a myth but I think women struggle with it more than men and some body types never deal with it but those of us that gain most of our weight in the mid section seem to have a really hard time getting rid of it.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen!!! Exercise is great and definitely needed (crunches and cardio), but until you start eating clean, there will be a stubborn layer of fat. And, unfortunately, the belly is the last place we lose fat.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Some people will struggle more with their bellies than others, and a lot of it has to do with skeletal body type. Run your hand along the side of your torso, and feel where the rib cage ends and where the hip bone begins. Some people have long torsos, and will have 6" or more between ribs and hips, other people have short torsos and will have only an inch or so of clearance. (And some people, of course, fall in between!)

The fact is that we have a LOT of organs in our "bellies," and people who have long torsos have more room for those organs. The shorter your torso, the less room there is for all of your abdominal organs, and the greater the tendency for those organs to push your belly out.

Losing fat will help, of course, and toning the abdominal muscles helps make a strong wall to keep those organs from pooching out. I've had good results from doing a T-Tapp move called "Organs in Place" before doing ab work - it literally pushes the organs inward and upward, to give your ab muscles a helping hand in creating that nice flat wall of muscle we all want! It sounds weird, and it does feel a bit weird (but is quite safe, unless you're pregnant), but I'm pleased with what it's done for me. The exercise instructions are at http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/flatstomach/index.html.