Is there a way to train your body to accept smaller portions and feel full?

Options
Is there a way that you can train your body to accept smaller portions without being hungry?

Replies

• Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It usually takes me about a month, but I've done it a few times. Lots of water and I break the meals up. Soon enough it becomes a habit, and having big cheat meals gets difficult for me. Also, make sure your macros are in a good proportion. Cutting back on pasta was very difficult for me, even when I'd make 1/2 lb dry at a time just for myself. I didn't have a lot of protein to help slow digestion down a little.
  • angeljo2015
    angeljo2015 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For instance if I was to have a recommended amount of oatmeal I'll be very hungry right now do I just bear with it until my body gets used to it?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to never feel hungry. Feeling hungry before a meal can be a great pleasure and heightens the enjoyment of your meal. But you aren't supposed to be hungry all the time, or be ravenous. You can train yourself to time your appetite better, as long as you aren't starving yourself, and what you eat is an overall nutritious and balanced diet.

Google "the hunger scale", "mindful eating", "intuitive eating", and "portion control". Your food diary here is a smart tool to plan your meals so that you can get enough of everything you need, not too much of anything, and food you like. Writing down what you eat can be reassuring, sometimes we "forget" what we just ate, you can look back in your diary and feel confident that you have eaten what you're supposed to, so there's no "need" to feel hungry.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I try to have protein, healthy fat and complex carbs at every meal
    My breakfast today was: One boiled egg ( yolk and white), oatmeal cooked with diced apple and almond milk . Served with chai seeds and fruit of the season ( blueberry today)
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think its more of a training your mind game. When you first start trying to eat smaller portions, your body/mind is in the habit of larger portions, it says, "feed me..". It will be a mental challenge to not given in, if you are trying to eat smaller portions.

However, the body is incredibly smart and will adapt over time to this new eating pattern and those feed me signals shall subside.

Quick side note, most of the times when we think we are hungry, it can be dehydration so trying drinking some water first. Then if the hunger signal still exists after a few minutes or so, then well you could be hungry and not just dehydrated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For instance if I was to have a recommended amount of oatmeal I'll be very hungry right now do I just bear with it until my body gets used to it?

Oatmeal (by itself) just isn't a filling choice for many people. I like to make oatmeal with milk, so I get some added protein. A few chopped nuts will add fat; I find that this sticks with me. A side serving of fruit, or a sprinkle of chia seeds will add some fiber. You will have to experiment.

Some people are volume eaters, others aren't. This recipe is for volume eaters: http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/rise-and-dine-growing-oatmeal-bowl-recipe
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I survived on 1500 cals per day for 6 months, I am trying to come of my diet now but it hard because I am so used to eating so little, the first month I was hungry all the time but I got used to it, you just have to give it time
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Oatmeal didn't do much for me either but then I decided to stick a scoop of vanilla protein powder in it and now it is filling, also tastes a hell of a lot better. Have it every morning, the perfect mix of complex carbs and protein.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I suppose some people can, but I tend to be a volume eater, so it never quite works out for me. What seems to help is larger meals to keep from snacking between meals (to avoid stuffing a bunch of snacks in my mouth to increase volume and blow my calories), and limiting my eating times to a window. I have breakfast a little later and have my last food of the day a bit earlier. It's not quite IF, but limiting the time between meals also helps with the snacking and not going overboard.

Bigger meals also makes dieting seem easier, as only one serving of chicken (3 oz) just makes me sad. A 6 oz chicken breast and one of those steam fresh bags of veggies, and I'm a happy girl.
  • jessdvr1
    jessdvr1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did this pretty effectively by eating much more slowly, drinking a cup of tea straight before my meal and taking sips of water every now and then between bites.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    What I did: I bought smaller dinner plates. Not that much smaller but smaller. It worked! I stood there choosing the smaller plates, I bought the plates, I put them on the table -- fully aware -- yet they fooled me into eating less.

Also, I have been observing how people eat. Most of us eat way to fast! If you like to eat, or if you like the taste of something, why are you so anxious to finish each bite? Chew it longer. Enjoy the taste. Mull it over. Only swallow it after it has been thoroughly masticating it. Not only are you going to enjoy your food more, but it is far more healthy for you. Your system will be able to process your food far better, distributing the good stuff to you!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Just continue eating smaller portions.