To eat or not to eat...

Options
My exercise calories?

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, sure. If not, then no. But your body needs the fuel for a good workout, so it's a good rule of thumb to eat half back.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If your calories is particularly low or you are hungry, sure why not? If you're nervous about exercise calories being overestimated, only eat like 50% - 75% of it. So if you burned 300 calories, only eat 150 - 225 of them
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Some people can manage without them. I can't think straight if I don't eat some of them back. Plus, when I don't eat back some of them my workouts are lackluster at best. Come to think of it, everything is an effort without them. My job,cooking, cleaning. Because I feel like I'm running on fumes.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If I have burned an unusual amount of calories I eat 1/4 to half back if I am hungry otherwise if I am not hungry I don't bother to eat the
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you are following the MFP method then yes you should be eating them back. MFP provides you a deficit to achieve your goal without exercise. If you do exercise, you increase that deficit and risk losing lean muscle as well as not providing enough energy for your body to continue to complete workouts.

Some people only eat back a portion of them to ensure the estimates from MFP are not overinflated, but I always ate them back entirely before and after getting a FitBit and was able to lose the weight I set out to lose and am now maintaining.

Tl/Dr: yes, eat them.
  • michellemiler
    michellemiler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    isn't it hard to go with it for long? I think this is not a healthy practice. never push your self for the things you can't carry for long, so, if your hungry you must eat, but if it is the matter of weight management you can add some supplements along with your food that can help you burning your calories, beyond weight management tea is something like that,why dont you try it instead.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Did you use MFP to set your calorie goal?
    If so, the assumption is that you will eat more when you exercise.

Did you use another calculator?
    Most of them already include more cals if you say you are more active, so you don't add more cals when you exercise.