• hgaspard83
    hgaspard83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i agree 100% the struggle is real
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I eat creole food all the time. You can def lose weight on creole food. I'm not sure what you mean by heavy spices....spices doesn't really ,are you gain weight. The only spice I'd keep an eye on is high sodium spices because it traps water in your body too easily.

But yeah, you can def lose weight on creole food.

Ah creole food. The delightful nectar of the gods
  • Smurfe04
    Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I live in Southeast Louisiana in the Jambalaya Capital of the World and know your pain. The majority of my obesity occurred after I moved to Louisiana in 1999. Spices aren't really your issue with Creole food, it's fat and carbs. Between roux, oil, butter, fat, rice etc., it is tough to eat healthy. We have Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice weekly. I have just eaten different from the family for the past 3 weeks. Don't worry as much about spices though unless you are restricting your sodium intake as that can be high. I sure add the spice to my chicken breasts and pork tenderloins though.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love Creole food too. I have a recipe I use when I make Jambalaya or Gumbo where you brown the flour in the oven until its a dark brown color. Then add it to your celery, onion, tomato mixture. It is so good and a great way to make it. I know some true Louisianians would think its totally wrong not to use oil or butter, which I totally get :smile: , but it is really good. I found it online a few years ago when I wanted to cook Jambalaya on Fat Tuesday. Its the only way I make it now. I even did a post on here about the recipe years ago.

But yes, I agree...Creole food is awesome.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    We're getting pretty close to "clean" = "penitential", which IMHO is often the intended, if unstated, purpose.
    And if I understood your comment I think you're saying the opposite, that clean eating is more like our punishment for past "eating sins", but either way, I find the whole "food is the new religion" idea very fascinating.

I think you got the gist of my comment. It was more or less off the cuff, but I do think that people intend "clean" to have a religious connotation, whether they would say this explicitly or not.

"Of all the things that are processed in factories, these shall be unclean to you. They are detestable and you shall not eat of them. Except for those protein powders, these you may eat and not be unclean."
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Moderation. Cut back portions, or consume fewer calories during other meals. A while back I ate mexican all weekend and lost three pounds between Friday and Monday. It's all in the servings and exercise.
  • charlenegrichard
    charlenegrichard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Louisiana girl here. We still cook Creole foods but we make them healthier. Turkey sausage, brown rice or quinoa. We still definitely use the seasonings!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    We're getting pretty close to "clean" = "penitential", which IMHO is often the intended, if unstated, purpose.
    And if I understood your comment I think you're saying the opposite, that clean eating is more like our punishment for past "eating sins", but either way, I find the whole "food is the new religion" idea very fascinating.

I think you got the gist of my comment. It was more or less off the cuff, but I do think that people intend "clean" to have a religious connotation, whether they would say this explicitly or not.

"Of all the things that are processed in factories, these shall be unclean to you. They are detestable and you shall not eat of them. Except for those protein powders, these you may eat and not be unclean."

Totally laughing over here. That is awesome.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If smaller portions were not effective. Herbs and spices being high in salicylate could contribute to holding a higher weight. Most western general practitioners do not recognise this as a possible problem but they do know not to give aspirin based pain relief medications to asthmatics and accept in some other patients they can cause digestive problems including bleeding. I discovered my problem with salicylate after I realised, by accident, that not taking pain relief before exercise was more beneficial than taking it for pain in my joints following activity.

Salicylate is the active ingredient in aspirin and other products. Many plants use salicylate to protect themselves from moulds and mildews, for some of us this can build up and cause many different health problems unfortunately because our diet varies day to day and the effects are cumulative, in this situation it is not possible to define one dietary culprit many can be involved. Look up Finegold, his diet may help some. Anne Swane et al, did some good work giving many different foods a salicylate status. "Food can make you ill" a book and a web site, probably still will also had much information on this and other food related potential problems. Looking up, SalicylateSensitivity may also help.

Its all too complicated that even medics who do recognise this as an issue still do not know what sets some of us up with the problem because it is more toxic to us and not the general population. It was put to me that for some reason the "bucket", our systems should have, become over full and that is why we develop problems. (2014)

It is possible the key lies in our endocrine system. I have been generally doing better addressing my endocrine and digestive functions privately.

I have asthma and aspirin does not do anything to my asthma,I can take it with no issues