Smokers

Options
I was just wondering ,does anyone smoke and still manage to do cardio and maintain /lose weight?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    I was just wondering ,does anyone smoke and still manage to do cardio and maintain /lose weight?

I did cardio when I was a smoker. Yes I got puffed out super quick in the beginning, but i got fitter as time went by. I used to light up a smoke in the parking lot straight after my class, bad bad girl!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My brother smoked and biked and he did fine. But he quit about 6 months ago and he said there's a noticeable difference.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's "Easy way to quit"...it's easy, affordable, and you never have to do it again :D
  • 54caligirl
    54caligirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can I know o did but seriously quitting is your very best option once you do your energy will go through the roof.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of cardio while I smoked...but it was a hard bike ride that at the end my chest was burning that made me decide to quit.

I started vaping on Dec 7 2014...I haven't had a puff since...

I can run now...8 min mile...easy peasy.

Bike rides only hurt my butt....and I didn't gain when I quit cause of the vape...gave me something to do.

I still vape but my nicotine levels are down to 1mg...so basically nothing.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ^^ Yes to the vaping. It makes quitting smoking dead easy, i felt like i was cheating somehow because I didn't crave a cigarette at all. I tried patches,pills, gum, everything!! And I never managed to quit.
    Yes, it's replacing one habit with another one, but vaping is definitely the lesser of the 2 evils. You also need to get over people asking if you're smoking a crack pipe in public lol
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I smoke, do some cardio on a bike and lost 37 lbs since April. I'm looking into vaping but I promised myself I would quit smoking when I get to goal. I can't do both at once
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I went the vaping route. Lung capacity is massively improved after a month.

I got into crazy levels of vaping though, 18mg and constantly at it and panicking if my batteries were running low. Have managed to get of the ecigs as well now. 5 years smoke free and lungs feel so much better.

You can do cardio when you smoke but just not very well
  • Christine_72
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    I smoke, do some cardio on a bike and lost 37 lbs since April. I'm looking into vaping but I promised myself I would quit smoking when I get to goal. I can't do both at once

Eve the earlier you quit smoking the better, let go of the excuses.I'm Not having a go, but you're post is very familiar, because i did the same. I don't want to be an annoying ex smoker, but just do it, do it now :lol:
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I bike or do elliptical for an hour 4-5 days a week along with lifting (on an active week). It is more challenging but nothing that can't be done. Almost a pack a day smoker.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »

Hi other Eve's mom ;)

I wasn't joking about the book. Quitting isn't hard, it isn't painful, you smoke while you read the book and when you're done, you don't smoke anymore. It's shockingly simple and effective.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a smoker and I don't have any problems with cardio. I started at 185 and I'm 158 now. I'm sure cardio would be easier if I didn't smoke, but I haven't been able to have much luck with a vaporizer. It burns my throat when I use it, which is worse than smoking a traditional cigarette. I've played with the nicotine levels. The last bottle of liquid I bought was 12mg nicotine and it was still rather harsh. I was told that the higher nicotine strengths can burn more. Not sure if it was the flavor or not, since it was Sweet Tart equivalent. I might try and go down to the next lowest nicotine % (which is the lowest until you get zero nicotine) and see if it's any better. I've also used two different vaporizers with the same result.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm currently a smoker and I don't have any problems with cardio. I started at 185 and I'm 158 now. I'm sure cardio would be easier if I didn't smoke, but I haven't been able to have much luck with a vaporizer. It burns my throat when I use it, which is worse than smoking a traditional cigarette. I've played with the nicotine levels. The last bottle of liquid I bought was 12mg nicotine and it was still rather harsh. I was told that the higher nicotine strengths can burn more. Not sure if it was the flavor or not, since it was Sweet Tart equivalent. I might try and go down to the next lowest nicotine % (which is the lowest until you get zero nicotine) and see if it's any better. I've also used two different vaporizers with the same result.

The flavours and ratios can take a bit of tweaking. I use cappuccino and blackberry flavours, i mix them together. I have no idea what the % of nicotine we use is, but it's equivalent to a 12g cigarette (12%??), so my hubby informs me.. We only add 2mg per mix these days, and will stopping the nicotine altogether after this bottle is finished, and just sticking with the flavours.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :) I quit smoking about a year ago but I am smoking again
    Hope it wont affect my cardio
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow, how did you feel when you started smoking again? Just asking because I'm about 6 or 7 weeks smoke free and yesterday I had one and it felt so normal but I also felt like I couldn't breath during and after... haha.

I did smoke when I was doing heavy cardio before though, I was able to do them, but like everyone else says, I think my cardio is better since I quit :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies :) I quit smoking about a year ago but I am smoking again
    Hope it wont affect my cardio

it will.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Just so you know, the throat hit has little to do with the nicotine level. It's derived from the PG to VG ratio, but can also be slightly influnced by the artificial flavoring used. Menthols and more sour flavors are more likely to affect it, but it's still not that much. The PG/VG is the biggest part. This is nigh impossible to control when buying pre-bottled, unless you find the rare manufacturer who is willing to divulge the info. Most keep it secret to avoid their liquids being easily cloned, because seriously, the markup on liquid is insane. When I batch my own, it costs me $2.638 to make a 30ml bottle, including the dropper and glass bottle. For my stronger hit liquids, I'll use 70% PG, 30% VG. The vapor output it lower, but it hits harder in the throat. I typically use that for my menthol/cinnamon blend. For something more bakery/coffee like, I'll run 40% PG, 60% VG. More vapor, lower throat hit, and slightly better flavor output since the bakery ones can be too subtle.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    chalaivy wrote: »
    Wow, how did you feel when you started smoking again? Just asking because I'm about 6 or 7 weeks smoke free and yesterday I had one and it felt so normal but I also felt like I couldn't breath during and after... haha.

I did smoke when I was doing heavy cardio before though, I was able to do them, but like everyone else says, I think my cardio is better since I quit :)

Haha i missed them so much and was dying for a cigarette .. I only smoke on weekends though
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I smoked and trained for a half marathon and finished it! So being fit and being able to do large loads or cardio while smoking is doable.

I vape now some during the day, not much. I still run 4 days a week and lift 5 days.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Just so you know, the throat hit has little to do with the nicotine level. It's derived from the PG to VG ratio, but can also be slightly influnced by the artificial flavoring used. Menthols and more sour flavors are more likely to affect it, but it's still not that much. The PG/VG is the biggest part. This is nigh impossible to control when buying pre-bottled, unless you find the rare manufacturer who is willing to divulge the info. Most keep it secret to avoid their liquids being easily cloned, because seriously, the markup on liquid is insane. When I batch my own, it costs me $2.638 to make a 30ml bottle, including the dropper and glass bottle. For my stronger hit liquids, I'll use 70% PG, 30% VG. The vapor output it lower, but it hits harder in the throat. I typically use that for my menthol/cinnamon blend. For something more bakery/coffee like, I'll run 40% PG, 60% VG. More vapor, lower throat hit, and slightly better flavor output since the bakery ones can be too subtle.

exactly mine are a 50/50 mix and custom created when I go to the store...no issues ever and even those who have used other stuff use mine and have no issues as well.