Sprained Ankle

Options
Fochizzy
Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
So I fell on my way back from the gym yesterday (coordination of a swan with an inner ear problem, my friends came to watch my dance final in undergrad because I am so uncoordinated) and I am pretty sure I sprained my ankle (poor ankle I keep reinjuring it). So I see my trainer on Monday but I am supposed to exercise today. Which is better: Wearing a brace and walking on a treadmill at a slow pace, OR low resistance elliptical also wearing a brace? Obviously knee push ups should be fine, as well as pull-ups on a machine where I am kneeling. The lunges and squats I was doing are out. But my crunches should be fine. I expect my trainer to re-evaluate it on Monday but I REALLY wanna make my 5 days at the gym this week so elliptical or treadmill?

Replies

• Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I did ballet for ten years, and I trip over my own two feet every day. You really need to rest that ankle, it won't get any better if you keep working out on it. RICE.. Rest Ice Compress and Elevate! Take the day off and let that sucker heal.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Search YouTube for "seated aerobitcs". There's lots of stuff out there that you can do with a sprained ankle. Good luck!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I did ballet for ten years, and I trip over my own two feet every day. You really need to rest that ankle, it won't get any better if you keep working out on it. RICE.. Rest Ice Compress and Elevate! Take the day off and let that sucker heal.

Yes what she said!!! Your first 3 days are crucial!!! You are in acute injury state you shouldnt even be walking on it at all let alone wearing a brace...get it wrapped good with an ace bandage sit with your feet up with ice on them and RELAX!!
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    broke a (very small) bone in the top of my foot about 5 weeks ago. still can't run! Luckily kettlebell workouts burn massive calories so I can still get cardio in without having to run or jump rope ;-) I also did an elliptical machine the other day and it wasn't so bad because i wasn't pounding my foot or torquing it, not sure about an ankle sprain though -- might still be too much. don't push a hurt foot though especially if you like to run because you can definitely make matters worse by starting back too soon.
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Rest is the best thing. I sprained my ankle over 2 months ago and I still can't do any kind of workouts, because it is always swollen. It's not like I'm on it 24/7 cause my work is at a desk job so I'm sitting all day.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yes a sprain is worse then a break. So RELAX and give it some time..the longer you stay on it the worse it gets and the longer you have to wait until you can work out again. I see these all the time in my business dont mess around with it. Do your ankle a favor, or you could have 9 pieces of titanium in it like mine. Which could happen if your ankle gets weak from not resting it..sorry but scare tactics do work and yes I do have 9 pieces of metal in my ankle.
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're hurt. I hope you realized that when I laughed at you yesterday it wasn't for falling - it was for your "swan/inner ear" comment!
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bicycle, i have tendinitis and for atleast one week no exercise almost killed me but i started back on bicycle and am slowly getting better. I didn't wait long enough and therefore am taking longer to heel. Good luck
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    I'm sorry you're hurt. I hope you realized that when I laughed at you yesterday it wasn't for falling - it was for your "swan/inner ear" comment!

Yeah, coordination is not my strong suit
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bicycle, i have tendinitis and for atleast one week no exercise almost killed me but i started back on bicycle and am slowly getting better. I didn't wait long enough and therefore am taking longer to heel. Good luck

Just be careful if you're on a regular bike (instead of stationary). I have a 6 wk old sprain. Even still sometimes when I stop, if I put that foot down first, it really aggravates it. Pushing off on it bothers it sometimes too.... I guess from the different motion. Swimming seems to aggravate it, too (the resistance from kicking through the water), even more than running. Be careful and good luck!
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    That's exactly what the trainer wants me to do a stationary bike the kind that you sit back on...