starting over again, trouble with motivation

Options
I've been on MFP for several years but I never stick with it. I constantly fall off the wagon with weight loss and working out. We have 5 kids ages 2-12 and I homeschool them as of last year. It's been really busy. I'm alone with them from 9 am to 10:30 pm, 6 days a week due to my husbands work schedule. Just keeping up with everything I need to do with the kids and around the house takes up most of the day. With what is left I just want to sit down! My weight is very high now at 223 and I really need to lose weight. I don't have any health problems but I'm sure that won't last with my weight being so high. I did work out today and I planned out all my meals so I will be below my calorie goal today. I made an accountability chart for my fridge to check off working out and food goals. How do you stay motivated when you are already so busy? I also have to work out when the kids are around. I have tried for years to get up before them to do it but they just wake up earlier to see what I'm doing. I'd like to get to 200 by the end of August and then 180 by the end of October or November. Maybe then I can make my higher end goal of 165 by New Year.

Replies

• debrasbarnard1
    debrasbarnard1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck ! If you find the answer, let me know ! Came back from holiday last week, and I just can't seem to stick to it anymore, just craving wrong sort of foods ☹️
  • glutenfreemama1
    glutenfreemama1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think I just need to find a time where I just shut myself in my room and work out. I have an elliptical machine, resistance bands and a yoga mat in my room. I can 45 minutes of something while my 12 yr old helps out watching the younger 2. I think I will probably end up paying her for that just so I can have no excuses to work out.
  • 54caligirl
    54caligirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You know the way you make your family a priority you need to do the same for yourself . Hire a sitter and take three days a week for yourself I'm not saying all day but two hrs just to dedicate for you your worth it if you don't when something happens to you who will take care of your family? Think about it. You make change one step at a time.
  • glutenfreemama1
    Options
    I know I need to do this for myself. I am still active, always moving and I can keep up with the kids at the park, etc. But soon enough I'm sure I will have health problems if I let things go. I really don't like how I look and feel. I'd like to be confident in my clothing. Its also daunting thinking about how many pounds I really need to lose. I'm 5'3 so I could loose 100 lbs. I really don't think I look good that low, I'm a short, muscular person when I'm not fat. I think 145 would be just about ideal. It could take 2-3 years to get to that goal, even working out and watching what I eat very carefully. I have dieted in the past and was extremely careful with my intake. I measured portions and weighed things and made sure i really knew what was going in. It took 3 or more months just to lose a little weight. I did lose inches but its very discouraging to see the scale at a stand still.
  • Faye0499
    Faye0499 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My motivation to keep going comes from how much better I feel physically and from how much more energy I have to take care of my busy life. My biggest realization so far is just how bad I felt when I didn't take care of myself. I never want to go back there. Make that time for you!
  • emtmissie1
    emtmissie1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I seem to have zero motivation after 3 days.....45...done WW...done MFP.....215 LBS....uuuggggg....I start out w the best intentions, then....IDK...I lose it........I get so angry w myself. I've been in recovery from drugs for 10 yrs.......how can I do that w/out falter but cant stop eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I'd love for anyone to help w my motivation. I'll help you if you help me..
  • glutenfreemama1
    Options
    I think it can be easier to quit something cold turkey than to moderate. You can never quit eating, you must learn to be moderate. I tend to be an all or nothing person. It can be a good thing, but it hasn't worked with food
  • ajpschmidt
    ajpschmidt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Add me, let's motivate each other! I am starting tomorrow and would like to lose 30 pounds.
  • Lavender2222
    Lavender2222 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have gone up and down. Right now at my heaviest. Last night at a funeral 3 people said " well you have gained". I know that of course . I need to loose 40pounds. Today started again entering my food intake. Maybe we start a 1st of July group
    Motivation is a BIG keyword, I miss that......
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am trying to not set big goals for myself. One day at a time.
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi add me I have had weight issues my whole life I lost 25 lbs since restarting mfp a little over 3 months I still have 50 lbs to go you can do it
  • tissie72
    tissie72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Story of my life... I had previously lost 23kg on weight watchers and felt fabulous!... Now 3years on I've out back on 16kg - I just can't seem to stay on track and motivated . My intentions are good but onky last a few weeks. Weight watchers kept me accountable because u had to weigh in each week. But I don't want to have to pay each week to keep going - hence I thought my fitness pal would be great, I just can't seem to stay on track... Arrrgghhh
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - in the past I was able to go to the gym 5 days a week, had a personal trainer, ate strictly and lost 40lbs, now things have changed and I am a single mother struggling for time and money, I am trying to find my mojo again. I now weigh 208lbs and at 5'1, I too could do with losing 100lbs, but my goal is to hit 140 as I am muscular and strong too.

I'm meal planning and plan to hit the gym 4 times this week. I find that spending 15 minutes before bed focusing on my goals really helps me. I think about what I want to achieve and 3 things I have done that day to help me achieve it, the next day it feels like a waste to have ruined that effort.

Feel free to add me.
  • ajpschmidt
    ajpschmidt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Add me!
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have you ever thought about working out with your kids since you homeschool them? It could be like gym class for them and you can get your workout in.

I have 3 kids ages 9, 4, and 18 months. 9 year old loves doing the workouts with me, 4 year old loves doing the stretches and just watches the rest lol, 18 month old just dances to the music but it works lol.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about working out with your kids since you homeschool them? It could be like gym class for them and you can get your workout in.

I have 3 kids ages 9, 4, and 18 months. 9 year old loves doing the workouts with me, 4 year old loves doing the stretches and just watches the rest lol, 18 month old just dances to the music but it works lol.

I was thinking the same thing. Relay races, flying kites, hopscotch, jumping rope and dancing come to mind. Kids need exercise as much as you do. And healthy eating! Make it a game and have the kids help out with vegetable prep to get them involved. Try some new foods/recipes.

I also agree that you need some 'me' time. Can you trade off with another parent a couple times a week?

This is a lifelong thing - making extreme changes typically ends in disappointment and overeating. Take one day at a time and maybe one or two new habits a week.
  • glutenfreemama1
    Options
    I do yoga with the kids sometimes. It can be fun but half the time I end up with my toddler trying to climb on me while I'm trying to balance, lol. The older kids love yoga.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yeah my 18 month old tries to climb on me too anytime I get in the floor, I just move him next to me and try to get him to do what I'm doing.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Add me. I've been up and down most of my life. I'm now 57 and I think I FINALLY "get" it! I struggled raising my kids, going through my divorce going through bankruptcy...life stressors can really throw you off but I have learned from my mistakes. I feel like I've been there and done that. If I can help you and motivate you so your life lessons can be learned while you're still young, I would love that!