College?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
I am entering my second year of college and will be in an apartment next year...meaning, NO meal plan and more cooking! YAY! :) But my freshman year, unlike most who gain, I lost about 15 lbs. total. I want to keep this up during sophomore year, and am training for a half marathon. Any good ideas/recipes (mainly for dinner) that I can make, preferably inexpensive, easy, and quick? Or something I can make to last a couple days? Only one thing...no seafood! Thanks!

:)

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    If you have a full kitchen, the possibilities are endless. I've learned to cook using the microwave (by necessity) so here's my favorite microwave recipe:

2 egg whites
    1/4 cup soaked lentils
    oregano
    chili powder
    raw kale

-mix the eggs, lentils, oregano, and chili powder in a microwaveable bowl. Nuke for about 45 seconds to 1 minute (depending on the strength of your microwave). The eggs will be light and puffy, but moist with some texture because of the lentils. Shred some kale or lettuce and mix it in the bowl for a superfood breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack. You can add things like low-sodium salsa to give it a kick.
  • nikki3337
    nikki3337 Posts: 19
    Options
    You're going to love living in your own apartment! I'm going into my senior year and i've loved it every year! I stay so busy throughout the year that I tend to live off of frozen healthy choice meals, light yoplait yogurt, apples, and soup, and vegetables. Oh and peanut butter sandwiches on wheat bread. These are all super fast and healthy meals for me since I am always on the go. Good luck next year :).
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    google hungry girl .com so many recipes!!!!!!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The biggest piece of advice I have is to learn to cook BEFORE you get hungry. I think the downfall of many students is that they start to cook when they're already starving, which limits you to processed options in most cases.

A nice solution to this is to make BIG batches of homemade things so you can have healthy leftovers when you are short on time.

Buy fresh fruits and vegetables.

Aaand say no to the ramen noodles.
  • marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm getting my first apartment this year too :) I'm super excited to cook for myself! Dining Hall food is dangerous.