Diet Soda?

Options
Is it good or bad, can it stunt you from weight loss if you drink too often? I'll stick to water, but I'm curious...

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Ohhhh...lord.

(covers head and waits for the fallout)
  • sanjaykalrani
    Options
    historically i've noticed that keeping away from diet sodas have yielded better results.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh...lord.

(covers head and waits for the fallout)

Hahahahahahahaha. I posted a topic like this once too. I shall also grab my hard hat.
  • sanjaykalrani
    Options
    try squeezing a lemon in water and add little salt
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    How about this: it clearly does not HELP dieting in any way, and it is expensive compared to tap water. If it is the caffeine, I recommend becoming a tea drinker, or something. Best to just avoid the whole hornets nest.
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The biggest complaint with diet soda is that often times it is high in sodium. That extra sodium in turn can cause your body to retain water thus slowing down your rate of weight loss.

I know there have been several reports as of late about peoplw who drink diet soda weighing more than those who don't etc. BUt I did have a friend advise me that even the U.S Olympic training staff advises that if you are going to drink soda you might as well drink regular. (The person who gave me this advise has previously been a U.S. Olympic competitor)
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is a very controversial topic, and so you'll get a variety of opinions. If you're really looking for the currently held, educated opinion of diet soda answer, I'd ask a nutritionist. Otherwise, enjoy the smorgasbord of opinions!

(also - you can try searching the forum for this topic, as it comes up a lot)

Also - I don't mean to say anyone on here us UNeducated - but I mean research-educated as opposed to word-of-mouth-educated.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    TOXIC :bigsmile:
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I read on another post " soda has no nutritional value and does nothing for your weight loss". It is very true I think you have to consider what soda really does for you and how important is it to try and fit into your diet. Now don't get me wrong I love a good cold glass of coke but I gave it up because there really is no point.It is sugary badness and diet is no better. To get that fizz I do plain carbonated water with lemon or plain water with lemon.
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. I might be way off and in no way is my opinion backed by any medical studies lol. Weight loss is a simple formula in general. Burn less calories that you take in. If its diet soda or pancake syrup it shouldn't make a difference. If you drink diet soda with a triple whopper and never get off the couch, don't blame the diet soda. Your body could care less where the calories come from. it simply uses it as fuel and if you add to much it stores it for later use. There are of course nutrient levels that make your body run better but depending on where you are in your fitness journey that might not be the issue. Get the engine running before you try to tune it up!
  • rv40
    rv40 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    stay farrrr away from diet sodas!!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Oh god, they're terrible for you *slurps regular coke and takes bite out of a twinkie and a KFC double down* nothing but junk.
  • lutters
    lutters Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners in diet sodas can stimulate your appetite, making you more likely to succumb to cravings for high sugar foods. There have also been statistical studies that show drinking diet sodas can lead to lower bone density, most likely due the presence of phosphoric acid.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah diet coke got me pregnant and now hes says the babys not his!!!! An dont even get me started on what that *kitten* Ronald McDonald did to me!!!!!!:sad:
  • JamiroJunior
    JamiroJunior Posts: 139
    Options
    So you're basically diet coke's Billie Jean?

:bigsmile:

I guess diet soda isn't all that great...
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    10pn62p.jpg