Introducing myself. I'm doing intermittent fasting.

Hi guys, just introducing myself.
My name is Gabby and I'm from Australia, I'm 25.
I've downloaded this app a couple times and used it for a bit then got lazy and stopped logging my meals and such. I'm trying again, this time also paying for premium in hoping it will assist in motivating me.
I've started intermittent fasting and I feel much better for it. It's definitely not for everyone but after some research I've decided to give it a go. I'm allowing myself 1300 calories per day and I begin eating at 12 midday, and cease eating at 7-8pm. It's working well for me. My body feels clean and I have more energy and I feel happier all round with regular and healthier digestive habits.
I'd love to get to know some like minded people and talk about what works for you as an individual.

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Add me, I do IF also
  • Andrealorren
    Andrealorren Posts: 17 Member
    I also wanted to try this! The first day I fasted I felt great but then eventually started feeling a little sick. One thing I have kept though, is not eating 3-4 hours before bed. Some people say it doesn't matter as long as your within your calorie bank.. Idk I think it's made a difference!
  • gabbycavanagh
    gabbycavanagh Posts: 9 Member
    Truly I have no idea about the not eating before bed. I stop eating at around 7pm purely because I want to and would usually sleep around 10-11pm, beginning my day around 530-6am. So far it's working well for me.
    At midday I eat which usually consists of some lean protein and some extra veg from the night before.
    I noticed I need to remember to hydrate even while not eating otherwise I get a bit of a headache but that's my own fault lol.
    I've been following a lady on Facebook, twitter and pinterest and her stuff is called 'food can wait' I find her very inspiring. I've also started walking 30 minutes per day.
    I'm starting out slow as I've recently recovered from surgery for an umbilical hernia that I had for over 3 years which was a result of a botched emergency cesarean that went unknown and untreated as my gp kept telling me I was 'just healing' and nothing was wrong.
    So now that I'm all fixed up I have very little core strength and have put weight on as a result of always being in pain and just taking it one day at a time.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Welcome aboard/back Gabby, I hope your more successful with sticking to logging your meals this time.

I am also a subscriber of intermittent fasting. This will be my 2nd season in practice and I can attest to its effectiveness for weight loss/management. I began this season March 1st weighing 188lbs, I am currently at 139lbs and 6% body fat, that's almost 50lbs in less than 4 months! My goal was 140lbs by June 29th (my Bday). Last season, following the same protocol I got down to 135lbs and 5.5% body fat so looks like I put on about 3-4lbs of lean mass in a year which is great because it tells me I was doing things right in the off-season.

So celebrate with me me June 29th and raise a glass to intermittent fasting!
  • gabbycavanagh
    Welcome aboard/back Gabby, I hope your more successful with sticking to logging your meals this time.

I am also a subscriber of intermittent fasting. This will be my 2nd season in practice and I can attest to its effectiveness for weight loss/management. I began this season March 1st weighing 188lbs, I am currently at 139lbs and 6% body fat, that's almost 50lbs in less than 4 months! My goal was 140lbs by June 29th (my Bday). Last season, following the same protocol I got down to 135lbs and 5.5% body fat so looks like I put on about 3-4lbs of lean mass in a year which is great because it tells me I was doing things right in the off-season.

That's fantastic!!!
    I've only been at it a week and am still new to it. Can I ask, what would your daily schedule be? Eg- when do you start and stop eating and what do you eat on a normal day? What exercise if any works for you?
  • DresdenSinn
    edited June 2016

That's fantastic!!!
    I've only been at it a week and am still new to it. Can I ask, what would your daily schedule be? Eg- when do you start and stop eating and what do you eat on a normal day? What exercise if any works for you?

My 1st full meal is at 10am followed by a smaller meal/snack at noon, this is when I'm at work, if I'm at home these 2 meals are spaced a couple more hours apart. I try to have dinner finished promptly by 6pm. You can have a look at my food diary for meal specifics, it's open to the public.
  • DresdenSinn
    edited June 2016
    "What exercise if any works for you?"

Are you asking for fat loss or for muscle building?

• gabbycavanagh

Fat loss, that's my current priority. After I get my weight back down I'll be focusing on improving core strength.
  • DresdenSinn

Fat loss, that's my current priority. After I get my weight back down I'll be focusing on improving core strength.

Well I use both resistance (weight) training and cardio for fat loss. Compound movements i.e. squats, deadlifts, clean & presses etc. are great calorie burners in both the lower and higher rep ranges. For cardio I do a little bit of everything treadmill, stair stepper, cycling, calisthenics, and I do both steady (30-60min) and interval or HIIT (20-30min). And I don't take rest/recovery days in the "on-season", I'm doing something every day usually twice sometimes thrice like cardio in the morning, weights in the afternoon, and a more leisurely walk or bike ride in the evening.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    In my experience (which means nothing of course)

I.F. goes well with a Ketogenic diet. Ketosis hacks the fat burning pathways, to force your body to use your fat stores for energy in stead of glucose. So when you go long periods of time with out eating your body never sends the signal you need more energy that makes you feel hungry.

For example I fast everyday from 7pm to 7 am. If I don't eat dinner before 7 I don't eat till breakfast some days that means I fast for 18 hours because I don't eat after lunch.

On Tuesdays I fast for 24 hours 7 am to 7 am. I even go to the gym on those days and do 30 mins cardio and lift weights. Like I do 4 days a week.

To day I changed brakes, alternator, wheel bearings, and ball joints on my Sisters car. It was outside in 92 degree heat. I started working on it at 9 am and finished at 6 pm. After taking a shower and getting on clean close it was 7:30 I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast. So I decided sunday was a spontaneous fast. Lol

My point is my body is Keto adapted so I was never hungry, I did drink a gallon of water but it was hot.

At least this is what I am telling myself. I hope this helps
  • DresdenSinn
    In my experience (which means nothing of course)

I.F. goes well with a Ketogenic diet. Ketosis hacks the fat burning pathways, to force your body to use your fat stores for energy in stead of glucose. So when you go long periods of time with out eating your body never sends the signal you need more energy that makes you feel hungry.

For example I fast everyday from 7pm to 7 am. If I don't eat dinner before 7 I don't eat till breakfast some days that means I fast for 18 hours because I don't eat after lunch.

On Tuesdays I fast for 24 hours 7 am to 7 am. I even go to the gym on those days and do 30 mins cardio and lift weights. Like I do 4 days a week.

To day I changed brakes, alternator, wheel bearings, and ball joints on my Sisters car. It was outside in 92 degree heat. I started working on it at 9 am and finished at 6 pm. After taking a shower and getting on clean close it was 7:30 I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast. So I decided sunday was a spontaneous fast. Lol

My point is my body is Keto adapted so I was never hungry, I did drink a gallon of water but it was hot.

At least this is what I am telling myself. I hope this helps

I feel ya..it's a wonderful thing isn't it?!
  • gabbycavanagh
    Thanks guys! Everyone is so full of great information here. I'm new to the whole community thing.