4th of July BBQ

rebawagner
rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
Does anyone have any good (healthy) 4th of July recipes out there????

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Strawberries, banana slices and blueberries on a skewer ... red, white(-ish) and blue and super healthy!
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Hi
    Squash and Zucchinni is also good on the grill, just slice length wise and brush both sides with
    Olive oil and grill about 4 minutes each side and YUM! Very healthy as well!

HAPPY 4TH! :flowerforyou:
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Grilled eggplant is great too!
  • Grilled eggplant is great too!
    Absolutely love this!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    We like to cut up mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, red and green peppers and onions into big chunks. I soak/marinate it in fat free italian dressing overnight, then drain and throw in a grill basket on the grill for about half an hour, stirring occasionally. We also like fresh green beans or asparagus on the grill.

Have a great holiday!
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    enjoy a little bite of everything - portion control!
    grilled veggies are a great idea and shrimp. watch how big some rolls/buns can be too, maybe use just a half for the flavor?
    try roasted red potatoes with seasoning as opposed to potatoe salad too.
    good luck!!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    I'm bringing home-made humus and pita chips: if you make it yourself you can control the oil. It seems to travel well and keep well at a picnic. Fiber and good oils.

I ‘dump’, so these are estimates I go to the desired taste/texture. But the idea here is not to add too much oil.
    1. 29 oz can of Garbanzo beans/chick peas
    2. Tablespoon of chopped garlic
    3. 4 oz of tahini/sesame paste
    4. ¼ cup of lemon juice
    5. Salt/Pepper to taste
    Pulse together in your food processor.
    Now, I add about 2-3 tablespoons of grape seed oil – and run the food processor enough to give it the texture I want.
    I like it firm, but won’t break a pita chip . I garnish with a little curry power. If you make it the night before you might have dried/firmed more than you like. Add a little more lemon juice and stir before serving.
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Can't go wrong with cucumber/tomato salad:

Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Salt
    Pepper
    Dill
    Cilantro
    Vinegar of Choice
  • jstrohs1
    jstrohs1 Posts: 66
    Chicken Kebabs on the grill with fresh veggies in between!
    Stay away from the frozen fruit drinks...they have a lot of calories.

Now after saying that....I will probably eat and drink like a pig!!
    I got 30 people coming to my house for one big BBQ and I'm going to regret it by Tues...lol
  • lauralhicks
    lauralhicks Posts: 168
    Grilled Chicken with Cherry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

This is a spicy but not fiery-hot dish. It is made with chipotle peppers, which add not only heat but also a subtle smoky taste. Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapenos packed in a flavorful sauce.

Serves: 8
    Preparation time: 2-3/4 hours (including 2 hours marinating time)

Ingredients
    1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup cherry preserves
    1/3 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1-1/2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or more to taste
    1-1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat

Preparation
    1. Stir cherries, broth, preserves, ketchup, vinegar, chipotle peppers, thyme and allspice in a small deep bowl. Transfer to a shallow non-reactive dish large enough to hold chicken. Add the chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Preheat grill to high. Oil the grill rack. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a medium skillet.

3. Reduce the grill heat to medium and grill the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 7-9 minutes per side. Meanwhile, bring the marinade to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced by about half, 12-15 minutes. Let the chicken cool slightly; serve with the sauce.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
    Per serving:
    180 calories
    3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono)
    63 mg cholesterol
    14 g carbohydrate
    24 g protein
    1 g fiber
    179 mg sodium
    272 mg potassium
  • lauralhicks
    lauralhicks Posts: 168
    greenbean and new potato salad

* YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
    * COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
    * 2 cups (1-inch) cut green beans (about 3/4 pound)
    * 2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
    * 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
    * 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    * 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    * 1 teaspoon honey
    * 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * Dash of salt
    * 1 garlic clove, minced
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    * 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Preparation

* Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board. Let cool to room temperature. Add beans to simmering potato cooking water; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; let cool slightly. Cut potatoes into quarters.
    * Combine mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potatoes, beans, onion, and basil; toss gently to combine.
  • Shells77
    Shells77 Posts: 22
    We recently combined pineapple and cherry tomatoes on skewers and grilled those directly. Spray olive oil and sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt and pepper.

Also, asparagus spears sprayed with olive oil (the pam olive oil spray works great and obviously you're using very little) and sprinkled with salt and pepper and a little bit of balsamic vinegar.

If I give myself plenty of vegetable options at a BBQ I stay away from noshing on the meat and fatty potato chips.
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    On the sweet side...
    I thought this was a really cute idea... http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/patriotic-poke-cake-52679.aspx?cm_mmc=social-_-facebook-_-wall-_-recipes

And I actually made these last night to take someplace tonight. 160 calories per cupcake & 4g fat.... http://fakeginger.com/?p=1176
  • Just fresh veggies and lots of fruits. MMM. Yum!! :flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Turkey Brawts! On whole wheat buns. They are pretty good actually.