cardio or weights?

Options
Hi all,

Currently looking to change things up with my weight loss and just wondering what you guys would suggest doing, would you go with doing more cardio or weight training?

I have a set of free weights at home so ive been looking to do some circuits with them mixing usual free weight exercises with pushups/situps/planks ect.

I am trying to eat at 1500 cals a day and aim to do a 30 min walk a day a work, think this sounds like a good idea?

Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cardio AND weights.

These have different health benefits. Both are great. Cardio will likely burn more calories, but also great for heart and lungs. Strength training helps you retain more lean muscle while losing weight and great for bone health too. Strength training will "shape" your results.
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks @TeaBea would you say 30 min walk a day would be enough or would you suggest maybe twice a week go for a run?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    thanks @TeaBea would you say 30 min walk a day would be enough or would you suggest maybe twice a week go for a run?

Exercise is something that I have always stopped doing after I lost weight. Then I would just gain the weight back again.

Choose the exercise you like the best. Choose the exercise you will be most consistent at (and likely to continue). Either way, make sure you are challenged.
  • michealtheworm
    michealtheworm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did weight lifting over cardio. The thing with weights though is that you wont lose as much weight as fast but you will lose inches. Muscle weighs more than fat does. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. I would honestly do a good mix of both with walking/ light jogging on non lifting days. I did nothing but lift weights and lost 17 in 30 days. Once you get muscle built up, then start to push to more cardio to cut down. You want to have muscle to give you a good shape when you lose weight. Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    both
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    both
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Both! Absolutely! Weights build muscles, and muscles burn more calories even when you're inactive. Cardio helps define your results/burn fat/is good for you, in general. Or, at least, that's a very, VERY basic way of trying to explain it, haha.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Both, on alternate days
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did weight lifting over cardio. The thing with weights though is that you wont lose as much weight as fast but you will lose inches. Muscle weighs more than fat does. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. I would honestly do a good mix of both with walking/ light jogging on non lifting days. I did nothing but lift weights and lost 17 in 30 days. Once you get muscle built up, then start to push to more cardio to cut down. You want to have muscle to give you a good shape when you lose weight. Good luck and I hope this helps.

No. A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is denser than fat. Volumetrically it takes up less space.

Either cardio or strength training can aid in losing weight but more important is to make sure diet and intake is still tracked carefully. You still wouldn't lose weight if you're burning 1000 kcals per day through exercise but then going out everynight slamming beers and shots. Still have to maintain a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. Period.