Can I freeze / store it?!

Options
CaptainQuarry
CaptainQuarry Posts: 6 Member
Hey everyone,

I have just found this recipe ...
http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/baked-eggs-with-peppers-spinach-and-tomato.aspx

Just wondering of anyone had any thoughts on if this could be frozen or kept in the fridge and reheated?

Love the sound of these recipes but it's always for 4 people and I just want it enough for me... Plus having it pre prepared for the week is ideal in principle :)

Thanks in advance all

Replies

• CaptainQuarry
    Options
    haha Ok that's great :)

Don't think there's is anything in there that can hurt me if I pop it into the microwave!

Thanks for your help
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    You can store / freeze pretty much anything for later use. Its the way you reaheat things (microwave / toasted oven) that will make it taste as good or lets just say "not as good" ;)

Yep. I'm a batch cooker and while I use my microwave to defrost things, but I tend to follow up with broiling or baking if I can. If I'm at work and eating a freezer meal, I usually just microwave it until it's warm.
  • CaptainQuarry
    Options
    I have bought some of those tin foil trays so will go for the cooking in the oven approach :)

I agree microwaves can make the food quality diminish a lot!

Sorry to sound stupid but is 'broiling' the same as boiling? Probably an American - English cross over word lol :D
  • advonadiathomas
    advonadiathomas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have bought some of those tin foil trays so will go for the cooking in the oven approach :)

I agree microwaves can make the food quality diminish a lot!

Sorry to sound stupid but is 'broiling' the same as boiling? Probably an American - English cross over word lol :D

actually, BOILING is in a pot with water, as you would cook pasta or boil eggs. BROILING is in an oven with intense, direct heat. if you have a toaster-oven that sits on your counter, you'll find it often has a broil setting. i have a Breville Smart Oven that I use to reheat some left overs. good luck!
  • CaptainQuarry
    Options
    Ah I see ... makes sense

We call it Grilling as opposed to Broiling but handy now that I have a new word to
    impress / confuse my friends lol

Learn something new every day :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can freeze and reheat, but it will tend to make the eggs rubbery. I would prepare and freeze everything but the eggs, then I'd reheat, crack in fresh eggs and finish it off. It wouldn't add much time but would turn out much better.

Microwaves only ruin certain things. Anything with a fairly uniform, wet texture (soup, stew, curry, pasta sauce) turns out fine in the microwave. Anything with a variable texture or any element of crispiness, like pies, pasties, crumble, cobbler, pizza, will not turn out very well, it will tend to become soggy and sometimes tough. Microwaving affects food in a similar way to steaming, so if you wouldn't steam it, don't put it in the microwave. And dumplings on stew are ruined by the microwave, but really, they don't turn out well reheated by any method. I make large batches of stew but only enough dumplings for that one meal. When I reheat leftover stew I'll add fresh dumplings and cook in the oven till they are done.
  • CaptainQuarry
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed reply ... Thought the same about the egg actually :)

Really appreciate everyone's tips, it has really helped already :#
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm with catof the ga... Because this contains egg and potatoes which aren't a good after microwaving, prepare all and freeze before cooking. Only then bake, broil or grill.

Also we Americans grill over charcoal. We broil under intense heat in our ovens.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Ah I see ... makes sense

We call it Grilling as opposed to Broiling but handy now that I have a new word to

I don't know if your ovens have a different name for it, but it's super high heat that comes from the top coils instead of the bottom.
  • 5099peperk
    5099peperk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The potatoes might turn black if you freeze them, I had a few dinners I tried freezing and the potatoes turned black and mushy.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ah I see ... makes sense

I don't know if your ovens have a different name for it, but it's super high heat that comes from the top coils instead of the bottom.

Yes. It's called grilling in the UK. We call the top element the grill. So "grilled chicken" means chicken cooked under the top element of the oven (or under a specially designed burner in the top of a gas oven). The thing in the garden we call a barbecue.