FitBit and Grocery Shopping

Options
I've read where I should manually add in grocery shopping as an exercise in MFP because FitBit doesn't track this activity accurately. How do I characterize a grocery shopping trip as exercise in MFP?

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit Zip tracks my grocery steps.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Why wouldn't fitbit track your steps taken during grocery shopping? That is NEAT. Non Exercise Activity Thermogensis-everything you do that isn't sleeping, eating, or engaging in purposeful sport/cardio/exercise. It will include things like doing your job, grocery shopping, running errands, and even fidgeting. It shouldn't be added as extra exercise to MFP as long as you have your activity level set appropriately.
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge and it doesn't usually count steps if I'm pushing a cart. I just put my fitbit in my pocket and it seems to be pretty accurate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh okay you guys have the fancier fitbits. I have the zip and it's always attached to my bra or the top of my underwear so it counts everything.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've read where I should manually add in grocery shopping as an exercise in MFP because FitBit doesn't track this activity accurately. How do I characterize a grocery shopping trip as exercise in MFP?

In UA's MapMyRun app, there is a category called "House Work" with a subcategory called "Misc Tasks - Light", that's what I would call it.
  • JanineMcAdory
    JanineMcAdory Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have FitBit charge and it doesn't count steps when I'm pushing a cart. I will try putting it in my pocket next time. Thanks everyone for your comments!!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I wear my charge hr while I'm shopping and it counts my steps. I listen to music while I shop, so I'm moving quickly. I don't log it bu I do get a decent amount of steps in.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my flex doesn't give me many steps when I'm pushing a cart, other friends with pushchair have made the same observation. I guess it's because the arms are not swinging so fewer steps register.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    When I had a zip it was accurately counting steps but when I went to the charge hr it wasn't accurate so I just put it in my pocket and my friends put their hr in their purse.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing... If you are trying to track normal activities like exercise you are probably doing it wrong. You may not have set realistic parameters here
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip so it tracks all steps. I have paid attention to the calories I have earned grocery shopping a few times. If it's the kind of shop where I am up and down most aisles, I earn around 7 calories.

While it counts for the day, it doesn't make a grand difference. Sometimes I earn less for the day as I have less time for intentional walking for exercise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I just pull the cart from the front or push it one-handed if I can
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Use a basket? Or one of the smaller carts. I wouldn't log shopping as exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing... If you are trying to track normal activities like exercise you are probably doing it wrong. You may not have set realistic parameters here

A Fitbit is an activity tracker and is meant to record all your step based movements, not just purposeful exercise.

I have a Flex and purposely wear the large band because I can fit it around my ankle on the biggest setting, so I do that when going to the store OP. If that doesn't work, or you don't like looking like you are on house arrest, then I have also put it in my pocket and gotten similar results...
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I just pull the cart from the front or push it one-handed if I can

I also pull from the front with one arm and swing the other. Works well for me.
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I always put the fit bit in my pocket or my son wears it for me when I go grocery shopping. It works for me.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    How many calories do I burn collecting food? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • arogers0541
    arogers0541 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I put mine in my pocket also. Seems to get a much more accurate count.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I refuse to drive any more than I have to. I'll use my car to get to/from work and to leave town. Otherwise, I'll find another way. That means I'm either walking or riding my bike to the grocery store. Either way, I only buy what I can carry. So a basket, not a cart. This means my Garmin counts all my steps; walking home with bags of groceries is good for my arms, too. :smile: