Hi and where do i start

Options
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and have decided to give this a go before i join slimming world. So my questions are, how do i get the best from this site and are there any specific sections that will help me plan my meals and shift 20lbs of excess weight.

I am so keen to shift my stubborn baby weight that i have been carrying for the last 2 years, shed my problems with food, that old guilty feeling for having something 'bad'. You know the one! And most of all i dont want my two beautiful girls to grow up with the same obessions I have with doing one faddy diet to the next one!

I am really looking forward to a fit, health and happy me!

Replies

• davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    this site will show you the way, you will do fine, log what you eat exercise , you will learn good and bad as you go along
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    Good for you to want to be heathy and a good example for your girls. This is a good place to start. Chart everything and it really does help. If you have something you label "bad" just document it. Be honest with yourself. You can't always measure everything perfectly but do your very best. Try to find the best match for your food choices. Then......

Drink at least 8 (8 oz each) glasses of water per day. 10 to 12 is even better. Get enough quality protein - chicken, lowfat/nonfat cottage cheese, etc. It helps with controlling hunger. Eat colorful vegetables, salads, etc.

Figure out an exercise that you can do faithfully, change it up so you don't get bored.

You will see changes and feel better and better.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ladydove5
    ladydove5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you have just taken the first important step by joining up and starting your journey with everyone else.:flowerforyou: The advice you get and the tips you receive from others sure will encourage you and help you on your way. Have questions ...just post them and there are many out there who have been there and they can share what works for them. I have found an awesome support group out there and you will too!!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Read the forums. I have learned so much and connected with so many inspirational people on here. Otherwise just follow the instructions for the site. One hint though - don't take everything everyone says as gospel - there are A LOT of opinions on here. If you need a solid answer do your homework.
  • Imtherunner
    Imtherunner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It may also help to hsve your food log open so that others may assist you if you are not seeing weight loss.
  • Purple_Lurple
    Purple_Lurple Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm fairly new to this too. I've been on here for 35 days and have lost 11 lbs. All I did to start with was track my food, I then looked to substitute for healthier alternatives, and tried to keep to my calorie goal. I also started Zumba classes, but just logging any walks or exercise on here helps you see what you're doing, and for me, I find it pushes me to do that little bit more.
    Just remember never to eat far under your base cals.. I think 1200 is the lower end of the limit for most peoplen as you can go into "starvation mode". Some people eat back their exercise calories, some don't. You will soon find out what suits you.
    Be honest, be positive and don't be so strict with yourself that it turns into another short term diet. Allow yourself the occasional treat and don't kick yourself if you slip up.
    Think of it as a lifestyle change, rather than a diet, and it'll be much easier to keep it up :)
    Welcome to the site, and good luck!
  • brittanysingel
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm Britt. I'm 18.
    I'm 5'2
    I used to be 156
    & I'm now 139
    I want to be 120 :)
    I'm new to this, I just wanted to start counting calories because I have been stuck on the same weight for 5 weeks now.
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome. The best thing about MFP is the community of like-minded people that will support you. Friend me if you want to, and we'll help each other.