Strength training at home - basic equipment

Options
I was wondering if anyone could help - I'm currently a member of a gym but don't get to go as often as I'd like (single parent, working, yadda yadda). I've been doing hiit workouts on YouTube, which have been great but would like to do some strength training.

Does anyone successfully strength train at home and, if yes, please could you advise on what basic equipment is required please? I'm after essentials and things that will take up as little space as is possible. There's loads of info online, but as beginner I find it fairly overwhelming and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has their own, successful experience.

Thanks in advance of any help!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i like TRX suspension training at home, its cheap , quick , easy and you can do anything with it. I had complete gyms at home and rarely use them, but i always use my suspension trainer every day for all kinds of things.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I agree with @njd. If you have a Play It AgainSports, or other sports consignment store, you can probably get everything for $250 or so. Strong lifts 5x5 is a good starter program
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    craigslist is your friend. I just picked up a $400 Bowflex for $75.
    I also have a Weider ultimate bodyworks that uses your own body weight as resistance, super compact and pretty cheap at $145. My first 16lb loss I went down 2 pant sizes, hopefully due to body recomp.
    Weider Ultimate Body Works
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have the half cage below (with bench) and Olympic bar/weights. The cage allows for pull-ups, band and suspension trainer attachments.
    http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346&clickid=family_cs&recid=family_PageElement_family_rr_1_1026

If you don't have room for a cage, you can still get the Olympic barbell/weights and train progressively with Landmine work. Add a Landmine sleeve and you can train almost anywhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/51-50-Landmine-Sleeve-Bracket-Crossfit/dp/B00J2B28O4
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    peperley wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could help - I'm currently a member of a gym but don't get to go as often as I'd like (single parent, working, yadda yadda). I've been doing hiit workouts on YouTube, which have been great but would like to do some strength training.

Does anyone successfully strength train at home and, if yes, please could you advise on what basic equipment is required please? I'm after essentials and things that will take up as little space as is possible. There's loads of info online, but as beginner I find it fairly overwhelming and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has their own, successful experience.

Thanks in advance of any help!

Get a Olympic bar, some barbells, 2 adjustable dumbbell bars, and a bench.
  • Exercisewoman
    Exercisewoman Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a hula hoop, boxing bag and mitts, spinning bike and weights bench with 3 sets dumbells and 2 bars. I like variation in my workouts and if I'm not feeling too energetic I just use my hula hoop which I really love.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have you considered a good body weight course? There are a number of very good ones available. The trouble with bars, benches and squat racks is that you have no spotter. A kettlebell is also an option.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    An adjustable set of dumbbells, I like the PowerBlock, and a computer logged onto FitnessBlender.com. If you have a carpet, you don't even need a mat, just a towel to keep it reasonably dry ;-).

The adjustable dumbbells, your own body weight, and the conviction to do it is all you really need. Even the dumbbells can be an option, body weight exercise can be tough.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    Have you considered a good body weight course? There are a number of very good ones available. The trouble with bars, benches and squat racks is that you have no spotter. A kettlebell is also an option.

You don't need a spotter with a rack.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bench, weights, dumbbell bar and barbell. I would love squat rack no way itll fit in my living room. bench i put in the corner and pull out when im working out. I got all these things off kijiji. havent paid more than $50 for it all.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I say start out with straight body weight and work your way up to weights. Make sure to practice good form!! You can find great workouts on Fitness Blender or Popsugar Fitness.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I got multi-gym. power tower and smith machine, with stack of weights. Started with the multi-gym. Whatever you do, check quality rather than the price. I decided to go for Marcy, which serves me very well, and has done for the last 2 years ... after that I bought more of the same brand.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    dlm7507 wrote: »

You don't need a spotter with a rack.

True, I've dumped weights in the floor on failed lifts and didn't have to go see a doctor. YouTube is full of examples of what can go wrong.

The thread was started by a single mom. We all think our methods are best and promote them (I did mention kettlebells) but the most practical solution to her dilemma might just be the simplest method.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this article written by a fairly well known trainer. Its how he outfitted his basement gym. Most likely over the top to duplicate but gives many good ideas on equipment and why you would want it.

http://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    In my basement I have a hoola hoop, different weight kettlebells, weighted skipping ropes, various free weights, bands, bar...about 40 different fitness videos/dvds from yoga up to kickboxing....for cardio I have a treadmill, and a recumbent bike/elliptical machine. I pretty much live in my basement...lol
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The equipment you need will change as you progess, so I'd suggest starting simple. In the beginning, I started with a 40lb set of adjustable dumbbells (the 1" screw-lock kind). This was enough for a few weeks. Pretty soon after, I added a second 40lb set (easy to find and cheap on craigslist) and a FID bench. That lasted me another month or so.

Once I progressed past that, and decided to stick with it, I added an Olympic barbell set and squat stands (with safety arms). Couldn't get a rack cause the space is tiny and the ceilings are low. The squat stands worked out well cause I can move them around when I need to, and use the safety arms for dips or loading the bar for deadlifts.
  • shumm090
    shumm090 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Working mom here with a small house. I have one closet to hide my workout equipment in. I have a few sets of dumbells, an adjustable 60lb set, and some ankle weights. Currently saving for power blocks. Fitnessblender.com has become my go to training website. Great programs and awesome results! Good luck on your journey!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    What I use for strength training is a good set of resistance bands and three door anchors [one for each position in a secure door: high/mid/low]. Resistance bands help by maintaining a load on your muscles at all times, unlike dumbells where most of the muscle work is in the push part of the exercise. I've been working with them for the last month as part of a rehab program [a serious allergic reaction with some meds I was taking caused a considerable amount of muscle degeneration] and so far I'm up to the 30 pound resistance band. With a combination of bands, you can get a total weight resistance of 75 pounds.
  • peperley
    peperley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks all, a mine of information! I'll be looking through it all and will have a look at fitness blender - I do some of their hiit workouts so am familiar with them, so will look further at the other stuff they offer.

Thanks again.