Pee like a champion

Options
Hi all,

So something interesting, fun, I've observed happening along this "journey", is the times when you can "pee like a champion" throughout the day or during the night before, only to wake up to lowest ever scale readings. Curious!

June 27th, Mon: 113.4 lbs
June 26th, Sun: 116.6 lbs
3.4 lb drop

I've been waiting close to a month now (discouraging) to get past 114, and finally this morning I seen the drop. I'll be honest, 3+ weeks bouncing back and fourth is disheartening, to say the least, and the hot weather putting me off wanting to workout... but last night I was up during the night peeing like 4-5 times, and bang..lowest scale reading in the morning..

Now, I am a female, and it was the 5-6 day into, that time of the month, so perhaps this is just a known thing that happens to females? I'd be interested in hearing if males experienced this "pee like a champion" thing also, and that it is unrelated and maybe even has a name, studies?

Interested to hear from everyone, cheers all!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Yes, both the peeing like crazy before a weight loss whoosh and a post-menstrual whoosh are common. You can do a search for threads about whooshes.

Also, at 113 - 116 pounds, you must be very very close to goal so inching towards it at this point is also common.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My 'guess' would be that you have been drinking enough water to flush out any excess sodium in your system and also to relieve water retention. Seems counter intuitive but drinking water keeps you from retaining it.

If you keep drinking enough liquids to pee 'clear', you will do better on the scale. If you aren't clear, drink more water. As an added benefit, more water helps with cravings because most often than not, if you are feeling hungry, you are in fact thirsty and the water will get rid of that hunger feeling.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, both the peeing like crazy before a weight loss whoosh and a post-menstrual whoosh are common. You can do a search for threads about whooshes.

Also, at 113 - 116 pounds, you must be very very close to goal so inching towards it at this point is also common.

Yep! I started at 146 lbs (10 st 6 lbs), and my goal was 112 lbs (8 stone), total loss thus far 32.6 lbs -- (Please don't get me wrong, I am SO over the moon right now, I'm moonwalking!). My strategy, though, is to overshoot my goal, since hearing that when you get to maintenance, you can gain 5 lbs due to water and such. Which is normal and expected, I hear. My loss now, per week, is .5 lbs. -- I've read about the whooshes, but don't remember the peeing thing! lol
    Koldnomore wrote: »
    My 'guess' would be that you have been drinking enough water to flush out any excess sodium in your system and also to relieve water retention. Seems counter intuitive but drinking water keeps you from retaining it.

If you keep drinking enough liquids to pee 'clear', you will do better on the scale. If you aren't clear, drink more water. As an added benefit, more water helps with cravings because most often than not, if you are feeling hungry, you are in fact thirsty and the water will get rid of that hunger feeling.

Well, yesterday my water intake was maybe 1400 ml, BUT recently I have been aiming for 1 gallon per day. Yesterday I ate greasy fried foods, too. While this may or may not be related to going to the toilet like crazy, I'm just documenting what was happening before this famous whoosh.

One other thing to note, last night felt like I constantly needed a pee, always uncomfortable.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on a regular basis, even when losing steadily at 'x' lbs per week. If I have a day of extra bathroom visits, I know the scale is going to be down the next morning.
  • Fursian
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    This happens to me on a regular basis, even when losing steadily at 'x' lbs per week. If I have a day of extra bathroom visits, I know the scale is going to be down the next morning.

@ridge4mfp, when you say regular, do you mean once a month, or are you noticing this weekly? 'Tiz fun isn't it? lol. I'm only just really noticing this stuff at 8 months, 3 weeks in! Hey, it takes a while to see patterns, lol.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »

@ridge4mfp, when you say regular, do you mean once a month, or are you noticing this weekly? 'Tiz fun isn't it? lol. I'm only just really noticing this stuff at 8 months, 3 weeks in! Hey, it takes a while to see patterns, lol.

I would say "most weeks". I think it's because I have become attuned to it and notice. It won't necessarily be a "up 3-4 times at night" situation, but on these days I really pee!
  • Fursian
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »

I would say "most weeks". I think it's because I have become attuned to it and notice. It won't necessarily be a "up 3-4 times at night" situation, but on these days I really pee!

Thanks for your response, very much appreciated! It's certainly something I'll be taking notice of in the future, that's for sure! :smiley:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there were championships in this.
  • Fursian
    Options
    I didn't know there were championships in this.

On your marks...Get ready! LOL :tongue:

Somewhere, this challenge is going down! Oh, the visuals...:mrgreen:
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also notice that I pee a lot more before a good loss. If I start peeling a lot, I get excited to weigh in... Lol.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i totally just recently figured this out too. If I pee more than normal while drinking my usual amounts, a big scale drop is coming! I hope it's water in the fat cells being released...which means the fat's on its way out too! Don't know for sure, but extra trips to pee often means big loss, whatever the explanation.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Water weight. I've lost as much as 4lbs in one night just by drinking a ton of water the day before and reducing sodium intake. It also generally means I'll be getting up at night to go as well several times. But yea, it's water weight you lose. Eat a whole bunch of something salty and you'll easily gain it back within a day or two. Other things like Creatine will make you gain water weight. I take a pre-workout 6 days a week that contains Creatine. Mondays are my rest day and I don't take it on Mondays, but I drink extra water. So usually if I weigh in on Wednesday or Thursday I'll be at my lowest weight without the extra water weight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Q5D7Tsb.gif
  • Fursian
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses, this appears common, good to know!
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Q5D7Tsb.gif

I've seen this movie, and it is ... very apt! heh. Good stuff
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the peeing/whoosh/ weight loss thing as I've only just got back on the diet wagon - but I wanted to chime in on that uncomfortable feeling you mentioned as I've noticed it too. I drink about 5 pints of water, 3 pints green tea, and 3 pints black tea with (lactofree) milk every day. I do mean pints, not cups! I have found if I have more than that, such as an extra glass of water to stave off hunger, I get a 'constantly full' bladder feeling the rest of the day and night. I wonder if it's possible to irritate your bladder by peeing too much?! Or rather from drinking too much. It isn't an infection as it goes away and doesnt hurt or anything, just uncomfortable, like your belly feels after Christmas dinner. Anyone else get this?!?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It happens to me on day 5-6 of TOM too. SO ANNOYING. Then a week later again. Good times. Last year my 5 hour drive back from vacation was on that day... Needless to say, it took much longer than 5 hours.

I actually had it a couple days ago, but it lasted 2 days. Bleh.