Oy, lol

Options
Taliko
Taliko Posts: 82 Member
Ok. So about 2 weeks ago, my mother gave me the, "You've had 2 kids you're never going to look fantastic," speech. i've been trying really hard to lose the last 20lbs on top of all i've already lost and I found it extremely demotivating, and didn't work out for about a week afterwards.
However! I decided she was full of it, am back on my workouts, and my scale says i'm down 1 lb :)
Very pleased with myself for being able to pull it together.
Oh, and I got my children happy meals at Mcdonalds the other day, and I was SO going to get mcnuggets right up until the last second when I went for a salad instead. Go me!

Anyone else have relatives that bring them down? I think my mom meant well, honestly, and she was trying to prepare me for disappointment or something. It really wasn't what I needed to hear, though. Sheesh.

Replies

• LaylaClapton
    Options
    I can relate. My mom told me a few weeks ago that "for your structure, you are a little overweight." Thanks mom! But actually it is the kick in the butt I needed.

Glad to hear you're turning your remark into something good....renewed determination & a salad! lol
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    I've been very fortunate in that both my parents are very supportive about my choices in terms of diet & exercise. My father is even picking up the bill for my gym membership since the only one near me is CRAZY expensive and I'm on a budget. But sometimes people are just thoughtless. For example, one time after I dyed my hair, I showed my mom and her response was, "I think people who dye their hair have low self-esteem." Or the last time I was at my father's house, I wasn't feeling well so I didn't bother with make up and he looked at me and said, "Is that what your face looks like without make up?"

I know they mean well, so I can just laugh it off. I find it's the best response. If your mom is getting you down, prove her wrong! Success is the best revenge. It seems like you're doing really well. :)
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't mean to insult your mom, but why would she tell you that? She should want you to be as healthy as you can, forget about looking perfect. Maybe she was just trying to say you are doing a great job considering you have had two kids? If it wasn't your mom, I would say that person is sabotaging you out of jealousy...
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I have the exact opposite type of mother. She tells me to keep losing...even when realistically I am pretty healthy looking now with a bodyfat% that I am comfortable with. She was rail thin after all 4 of her kids and I think she wants me to follow in her steps and to never stop trying. I think she means well. When we stop trying to lose weight...we are more likely to start putting it back on because we are comfy as we are. I just shrug it off. This is MY life and MY journey and I will do what feels good to me. We all should!

and FYI.... we eat healthy...why shouldn't our kids? Here's an article about McNuggets that may change your mind next time you want to treat your kids....

http://www.naturalnews.com/032820_Chicken_McNuggets_ingredients.html
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My Mum In Law told me when I was at 162 lbs. I told her I want to get down to 120 lbs.

She said 'OH you'll never get there'...

5 months & 10 days later --- I called her up and said 'Guess who just weighed in at 120 lbs this am' ...

ANYTIME someone puts me down, or trys to - Sure, I'll get upset - but I don't stop workin' out and sulkin' - I let those nasty words, FUEL my energy on provin' them wrong...!

I hope to see you on the forums when you get to your goal and prove your Mother wrong....! or maybe it's her way into pushin' you? probably not eh? :wink:
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    There are moms who are jealous of their daughters and even want to compete with them. Sad but true.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude!
  • Taliko
    Options

and FYI.... we eat healthy...why shouldn't our kids? Here's an article about McNuggets that may change your mind next time you want to treat your kids....

http://www.naturalnews.com/032820_Chicken_McNuggets_ingredients.html

It was treat day. Once a month we go out to mcdonalds and go to a movie.
    At least they have apple slices not fries...they are both really thin and eat healthy 99% of the time.
  • Taliko
    Options
    I hope to see you on the forums when you get to your goal and prove your Mother wrong....! or maybe it's her way into pushin' you? probably not eh? :wink:

I am determined to prove her wrong - I proved my dad wrong when he said I would never be able to do a chin-up, too, lol
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact situation (and still do). I love how you're taking it as motivation right away, it took me a while to not let her get me down.

My mom is the reason I'm doing this b/c her and my grandma are SUPER unhealthy and have all these health problems and that's not a road I want to go down. I'm home for the summer and she just takes it to the next level. Like I don't eat after 7, and she knows that perfectly well, but she'll call me to the dinner table and then say "oh wait, you don't eat so late" and laugh. She also makes (rude) comments on my workout outfits before I go running (I mean, I guess a green shirt, purple leggings, and blue and orange sneakers are sort of comment worthy, but still! I need to brighten up my day somehow!) Erm, anyway, we'll show them!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!