Protein Shake Before or After Workout?

Options
I've heard different things. Some say to drink it before, some say after. More info: I'm doing a full body gym type machine called a healthrider and drinking powdered whey protein mix with skim milk. I also do 60 miinutes on an exercise bike 3x a week and am doing the 100 pushups & 250 situps challenge thung every other day. Thanks!

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    After - it helps rebuild your muscles post-workout.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that if you are doing one or the other, you'll be just fine. I normally don't want to drink protein before a run (bad things happen) so I do it after, but I make sure that I DO have one. :o)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would have it before is if you're going right from work to the gym and you haven't eaten a meal in 5+ hours and need a replacement. Give yourself at least 30 min though to keep it down.
  • JoSa37
    JoSa37 Posts: 16
    Options
    Right now I'm using N.O. Xplode for preworkout and do a protein shake after my workout. I use whey immediately after working out but I might suggest cottage cheese in the morning and before bed since it is a slow absorbing protein and can feed muscles over an extended period of time.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Before and after =) Also make sure to get a bit of carbs in there too so your body can actually use most of the protein.