Tzatziki and Tuna?

Options
Anyone ever tried this? It sounds like a weird combo but I can use it to replace mayonnaise in my tuna.

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but it sound like it would be good. I have used avocado as the fat instead of mayo and that works well but a little high on calories for some.
  • jwhittyworth
    jwhittyworth Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was going to do avocado but how is the shelf-life? I'm trying to make it last at least 5 days.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LOL, you're asking the wrong guy. There are very few thing's I'd eat that were in my fridge for 5 days because I'm uptight about that and tuna's not on that list anyhow :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the shelf-life for the tzatziki? It's base is Greek yogurt so I'd guess it has the same shelf-life as Greek yogurt. I think it would be a good combination with tuna.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Do you mean the shelf-life for the tzatziki? It's base is Greek yogurt so I'd guess it has the same shelf-life as Greek yogurt. I think it would be a good combination with tuna.

I think he means avocado.. which wouldn't be great unless you put some lime juice or something in there.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What about reusable vacuum seal bags
  • SurfCityBeachGuy
    SurfCityBeachGuy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki is the stuff the Greek Restaurants put on your Gyro sandwich. Im sure it would be great with Tuna & its Healthy. You can make it at Home. there are different recipe versions of it online. Basic recipe would be something like 1 cup plain Greek Yougurt, 1 squeezed fresh lemon 1/2 cup chopped cucumber.You could even add some fresh Dill Herb. Great idea.... J Whitty !
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also think it would be great as a mayo sub with tuna. You might also want to try a flavored mustard. I do one with green chile mustard that is super yummy, with more flavor and considerably fewer calories than mayo.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried tzatziki with tuna, but it's awesome with shrimp.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Avo and tuna lasts fine in the fridge for a few days - but I don't think I'd leave it for five days, more like three.

Tzatziki and tuna sound like a good flavour combo, but I suspect it might go a bit watery if it sits in the fridge, you'd have to try it and see.

It would definitely be better than tuna and mayo, I think that's a disgusting mix.
  • jwhittyworth
    jwhittyworth Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I made it last night and it's really good!

My ingredients:
    5 cans of drained white albacore
    2 whole dill pickles
    .5 cucumber, squeezed
    1 red onion
    6 hard boiled eggs
    Lemon juice (1 lemon)
    Lemon zest
    4 gloves of garlic
    1.5 tbsp of Pepperoncinis
    2 tsp of olive oil
    1 small case of cherry tomatoes
    3 cups of greek yogurt.

I forgot to add dill in my recipe this time :(

Surprisingly wasn't very watery at all today, I'm assuming the tuna absorbs some of the excess water. (Idk)

Make the Tzatzizi, mix all the tuna ingredients (Onion, Eggs, Pickles), then put them together!
    Eating them with some wheat thins as an at-work snack.

I don't know how to share MFP recipes but

According to MFP:
    Calories per serving - 371
    Fat - 15%
    Cholesterol - 82%
    Sodium - 27%
    Potassium - 20%
    Fiber - 11%
    Protein - 98%
    Vitamin A - 22%
    Vitamin C - 24%
    Calcium - 46%