High Protein Side Dishes (Weeknight Family Dinners) ???

Options
So I've switched up macro goals as I continue to learn about food and nutrition. I'm on a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein plan which for me equals 90g of protein a day (1200 cal diet).

On most days I can meet my protein goals (lots of greek yogurt, quest protein bar, etc) but usually on my workout days I struggle to meet it, as it increases when I workout. Any ideas on some high protein side dishes I can make that the whole family can enjoy?

For instance, tonight I'm going to saute some chicken and then top with ham and swiss in the oven, and serve with a strawberry feta almond salad with greek yogurt balsamic dressing. What else can I serve that has protein and isn't going to blow my fat out of the water? I'm open to any suggestions! I've searched pinterest and so far I really haven't found anything :/

So glad for this community - thanks in advance!

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would just increase the portion of my chicken so I met my protein macro. I don't worry about going over on fat. I consider fat & protein more of a minimum, not a maximum.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My go-to's are:
    Cucumber, tomato & mozzarella salad
    Beans- any variety (I like black beans)
    Hummus and veggies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Quinoa. Google it. Lots of recipes. You can serve it hot or cold. Sweet or savory.
    Lots of options.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Hard boiled eggs (you can just eat the whites if you want). Salad with added protein. Veggies cooked with bacon.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For a fun side that has protein, look at various high protein grain dishes. Often as a side for broiled Salmon/Trout, I make a pilaf with quinoa and lentils. Only added fats are a little olive oil. Great side that keeps well. You could also look at various bean salad...you can add fresh/green garbonzo beans or Edamame to make it "fresher".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas come to mind. They have some carbs too.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Any kind of beans, pintos, black beans, red beans. Pair with a grain like brown rice to make complete proteins.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lol....my husband....

I made quinoa last night - just 1 cup to 2 cups water in my simple rice cooker with some salt. He said "....where's the gravy?".

Ha. -__-

Ohhhh country boys.... I tried to tell him you can't have gravy with everything!!! lol...I'm not giving up on it yet. Thinking I can do a mushroom onion thing with some kinda "gravy" or sauce to jazz it up. If anyone's tried anything good like that, let me know/send me the recipe please! Determined to get my family to like quinoa!! And of course thank you all for the other suggestions! I will keep them in mind!
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lol....my husband....

I made quinoa last night - just 1 cup to 2 cups water in my simple rice cooker with some salt. He said "....where's the gravy?".

Ha. -__-

Ohhhh country boys.... I tried to tell him you can't have gravy with everything!!! lol...I'm not giving up on it yet. Thinking I can do a mushroom onion thing with some kinda "gravy" or sauce to jazz it up. If anyone's tried anything good like that, let me know/send me the recipe please! Determined to get my family to like quinoa!! And of course thank you all for the other suggestions! I will keep them in mind!

Try cooking it in low-sodium chicken broth! Gives it a lot of flavor.

Also, I enjoy making it with chicken, broccoli, a little cheese and hot sauce (buffalo chicken rice), or taco meat, taco sauce and whatever veggies to make a taco bowl!

EDIT: Amen to the country boy. I always get "all I want is red meat and potatoes. extra gravy." Sure, if I want to blow all my calories on dinner, haha. It's been a bit of a change for him, but he's been pretty supportive! I do try to make him a different side once in a while that he actually enjoys instead of veggies or quinoa.