Contrave Participants? ???

Options
EbonyJ1984
EbonyJ1984 Posts: 1 Member
Starting Contrave to help with weightloss. Anyone else??

Replies

• mirandag57
    mirandag57 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Me
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Scary stuff.... "CONTRAVE can cause serious side effects of suicidal thoughts or actions. One of the ingredients in CONTRAVE is bupropion HCl. Bupropion has caused some people to have suicidal thoughts or actions or unusual changes in behavior, whether or not they are taking medicines used to treat depression. Bupropion may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults within the first few months of treatment. If you already have depression or other mental illnesses, taking bupropion may cause it to get worse, especially within the first few months of treatment."
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Bupropion is the generic name for Wellbutrin. The other ingredient is Naltrexone. Since Contrave is a prescription medicine, a doctor is supervising its use, and has presumably discussed the potential side effects.

Good luck, I hope it helps both of you!
  • jeanjean619
    jeanjean619 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ebonyj1984 and amandag57 How are you two doing?
  • krst1888
    krst1888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Half through month 2, down 17 pounds, also doing their step down program and following a 1200 calorie diet along with walking and swimming..good luck
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Bupropion is the generic name for Wellbutrin. The other ingredient is Naltrexone. Since Contrave is a prescription medicine, a doctor is supervising its use, and has presumably discussed the potential side effects.

Yes, it's called Zyban here in Australia and is prescribed to help people quit smoking, and has been linked to depression, sleeplessness and suicidal thoughts. I thought it was a strange thing thing to prescribe as an anti depressant :huh:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Yes, it's called Zyban here in Australia and is prescribed to help people quit smoking, and has been linked to depression, sleeplessness and suicidal thoughts. I thought it was a strange thing thing to prescribe as an anti depressant :huh:

That's pretty standard warning amongst antidepressants. All the ones I've seen have had it, because in a small percentage of people, the drugs can exacerbate symptoms.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

That's pretty standard warning amongst antidepressants. All the ones I've seen have had it, because in a small percentage of people, the drugs can exacerbate symptoms.

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying :smile:

OP, sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I remember being prescribed something with similar ingredients in my teens for depression. I had no idea it's used for weight loss.. I don't remember I lost weight back then, I might have who knows.. I wasn't paying attention to my weight back then and as a morbidly obese I might have lost but did not notice. How does it work?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I remember being prescribed something with similar ingredients in my teens for depression. I had no idea it's used for weight loss.. I don't remember I lost weight back then, I might have who knows.. I wasn't paying attention to my weight back then and as a morbidly obese I might have lost but did not notice. How does it work?

I think it decreases your appetite and gives people energy, must trigger something in the brain.

Like i said earlier it's prescribed here as a quit smoking aid, not for weight loss or depression.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I think it decreases your appetite and gives people energy, must trigger something in the brain.

Like i said earlier it's prescribed here as a quit smoking aid, not for weight loss or depression.

Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I just feel a bit "cheated" that my doctor was covertly trying to make me lose weight and I just found out about it more than 15 years later :confused:
  • Christine_72
    Options

Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I just feel a bit "cheated" that my doctor was covertly trying to make me lose weight and I just found out about it more than 15 years later :confused:

Did it help with your depression?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Did it help with your depression?

Hard to say. I had lost my best friend so I needed time more than I did medications and some intensive help. It probably helped, I don't know. It doesn't matter. I don't want to derail the topic. Carry on!
  • rendimitchell
    rendimitchell Posts: 1 Member
    Options

• jeanjean619
    jeanjean619 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I need hep from anyone who takes or has taken contrave:
    My dr prescribed contrave a few weeks ago. Needless to say my insurance kicked it back. I called my dr and after a couple of days of phone tag they said that my dr would make a call and let me know. A week went by and, frustrated, I called to see the status. The nurse asked me if I had any more samples left, but I never got any samples to begin with (which would have been great if I did because I would know what I'm getting myself into!) Finally I got a call back saying that I should be good to go and to go to the pharmacy to get it. On my way from work I called the pharmacy and they said it was still awaiting insurance approval. I told them I had the coupon and asked how much it would be with the coupon and I was told that they weren't sure and that they would have to order it!
    Now I am trying to decide if it is worth it.. I need to lose about 35 pounds. I have been struggling with losing this weight for the past 10 years. I eat when I'm frustrated, am a carb addict and seem to have no energy. I am older, have hypothyroidism but my tsh is at a good level. If you are taking contrave, do you think it would be worth it for me?
    Thank you!!
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think Contrave is totally worth it! It sounds like it would be helpful for you. With the card ("coupon") it should cost $90 or less a month. Is it worth it to you to possibly lose weight at that cost? It is to me! Hope this helps!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    My dr prescribed contrave a few weeks ago. Needless to say my insurance kicked it back. I called my dr and after a couple of days of phone tag they said that my dr would make a call and let me know. A week went by and, frustrated, I called to see the status. The nurse asked me if I had any more samples left, but I never got any samples to begin with (which would have been great if I did because I would know what I'm getting myself into!) Finally I got a call back saying that I should be good to go and to go to the pharmacy to get it. On my way from work I called the pharmacy and they said it was still awaiting insurance approval. I told them I had the coupon and asked how much it would be with the coupon and I was told that they weren't sure and that they would have to order it!
    Now I am trying to decide if it is worth it.. I need to lose about 35 pounds. I have been struggling with losing this weight for the past 10 years. I eat when I'm frustrated, am a carb addict and seem to have no energy. I am older, have hypothyroidism but my tsh is at a good level. If you are taking contrave, do you think it would be worth it for me?
    Thank you!!

Seeing as you only have 35lbs to lose, no I don't think it would be worth it. Also, since you are not morbidly obese, it is doubtful you insurance will cover it since it is not a "needed" medication.
  • krst1888
    krst1888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!

I am not sure where you are at, but I am in Arkansas... that being said my doctors office gave me a manufacturers coupon card and starter pack... the discount card after you call it in discounts the Kroger pharmacy to 70 for the first 3 prescriptions and 60 after that.. it also signs you up for what is called the step down program.. they send you a digital scale and help you log your weight daily which you can like to your doctors office and help with exercise and diet recommendations on weekly emails... I do not really use the emails as I use MFP to log my diet, but I like the scale and daily weights as I feel like I have to account for myself.... of course this is not for everyone so talk with your doctor.. it does curb my appetite and give me a slight boost, but it is no where near like adipex.. which I cannot take as it makes me very jittery and raises my BP... but when it is meal time and I sit down to eat I am hungry when it is right in front of me... Good luck.
  • dserickson1
    dserickson1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am starting it tomorrow and am anxious. I am insured and with the coupon it was $24 for 3 months supply.
    I feel like I have tried so many different ways to lose weight. This is being prescribed along with a dietitian, psychologist, and fitness evaluations. I hope the multidisciplinary team works. I need this weight to be off forever!
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Scary stuff.... "CONTRAVE can cause serious side effects of suicidal thoughts or actions. One of the ingredients in CONTRAVE is bupropion HCl. Bupropion has caused some people to have suicidal thoughts or actions or unusual changes in behavior, whether or not they are taking medicines used to treat depression. Bupropion may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults within the first few months of treatment. If you already have depression or other mental illnesses, taking bupropion may cause it to get worse, especially within the first few months of treatment."

Bupropion is a drug that is regularly prescribed for depression. I have been taking it on/off as needed for 7 years... it isn't that scary to me and I had absolutely no with-drawls. It kicks your appetite, gives you energy by sending more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine to transmit messages to other nerves.

Every prescription drug I have ever seen in the business of healthcare has 'scary' side effects but I'm not going to stop taking my necessary-for-life thyroid pills because a side effect is afib/heart palpations/chest tightness/cardiac arrest. lol