Is it THAT bad to be under your calories?!

Options
Lately I've been under my calorie goal by a lot. The thing is, I've upped my water intake (which takes away my need to munch), switched to lean meats, switched sugary fruits to mostly berries, and breads to under 100 cal, and stopped drinking as much. I work out on the elliptical 5 days a week for only 30 min burning about 305 cal. each time. It's not that I'm not eating, but at the end of the day it still has me at 700-900 cals left but I'm the lowest I can go on this site at 1200 cal a day. What's so wrong with being under you calories if you're still eating healthy, consistently, and working out?

Replies

• paloma1182
    paloma1182 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best person to ask on all this... butttttt its prolly not goot to be under by a ton. I know nutritionally you should be eating at least 1200 cal a day so that your body is getting the best nutrients, and not going into starvation mode. think of it as trying to run a car on not enough fuel.

i think u are KICKING *kitten*! and doing a GREAT job, but you should really try to get up to where you should be on the calories.... its better to make sure you get all the nutiritional values from it.

I know you are eating healthy and doing a great job tho!! keep up the good workouts.
  • HMuter
    HMuter Posts: 1
    Options
    There's nothing wrong as you're not starving yourself to be under your goal calories each day :)
    Maybe just try and eat a little more but still healthy of course :) xx
  • ewalker10
    ewalker10 Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but I feel the same way. I am interested to hear what people say to this.
  • StarArly
    StarArly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can change your calorie goal if you select custom.
    I think you are doing awesome as long as you are eating.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong as you're not starving yourself to be under your goal calories each day :)
    Maybe just try and eat a little more but still healthy of course :) xx

Please don't take this advice! Please people try to educate yourself on proper nutrition and starvation mode (which will in fact happen if you keep your calories low for prolonged periods of time) before you offer others unhealthy or unsafe advice!
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    yes it is the odd day or 2 isnt really going to make alot of differance but in tthe long term your body thinks its starving and starts hanging onto all you feed it like its the last meal so you lose nothing

it is good you are eating the correct foods but you will need to up the calories to a minimum of 1200 net a day to keep losing
  • Kreenorris
    Options
    If you are seriously under your calories myfitnesspal will warn you and tell you that you are not eating enough (I know, I have ended my day with that warning before). No matter how much you exercise, if you are eating at least 1200 cals you are at a good range. Also, as long as you are feeling good(not tired) and eating every 2-3 hours and satisfying (not starving) your body, then all is well and you are eating enough. Sometimes it is SUPER difficult getting in all of those calories if you are eating healthy low sugar meals, and everyone's body is different. Just listen to yours and make sure that you are not eating too little to give yourself proper nutrition.
  • sandytope
    sandytope Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you are eating a day. Make sure that you are getting enough nutrients from the foods you eat. Are you getting enough calcium and protein? You can add those in your food tracking section. Add some more fruits or vegetables and maybe skim milk or cheese. Sounds like you are doing well.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've heard drs say that if you're really over weight your body stores up fat, and you don't have to eat the 1200. I think 1200 is just a general rule, because can you really tell someone 100lbs and someone 300lbs that they BOTH have to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Something's weird about it.

I eat about 800 a day. I eat only when I'm hungry. I don't find a reason to force myself to eat just to be at the 1200 calorie mark.

It's like a baby, they will let you know when they are hungry, don't force them to eat if they're not.

Same with us! Our bodies tell us when we need to eat. Why eat if we're not hungry? We should eat to live, not live to eat..

But that's just MY thoughts. I know everyone has different opinions.
  • Kreenorris
    Options
    Question: Are you at least hitting your calorie goal? Are you 700 - 800 cal under Net? If so, It may just be because you are exercising. That's all. I try to stay at 1500 calories no matter how much I work out that day.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get flamed for this response but I believe the 1200 calories for women is a guide based on nutrition. Meaning you have to eat at least 1200 calories a day to have a prayer of getting all the nutrients you need. I think too many people think it's a net number. That said if you are only eating 1200/day I would do some nutrient research. Unless everything you eat is really clean - nothing processed, and you get the perfect balance of foods it is really difficult to get all the nutrients you need for 1200 calories.

I eat 1570 calories/daily and I take a multivitamin as well as a vitamin D and magnesium supplement.

If you're eating at least 1200 a day and it's exercise putting you under I wouldn't be worried unless it's really low.
  • Chandrarae
    Options
    Nope, I'm just counting regular calories (not counting with the work out extra cals) and am only hitting between 550-650 a day. I'm lucky if I hit 700. But, I AM eating super clean, almost all unprocessed foods.
  • randisaucier
    Options
    I'll probably get flamed for this response but I believe the 1200 calories for women is a guide based on nutrition. Meaning you have to eat at least 1200 calories a day to have a prayer of getting all the nutrients you need. I think too many people think it's a net number. That said if you are only eating 1200/day I would do some nutrient research. Unless everything you eat is really clean - nothing processed, and you get the perfect balance of foods it is really difficult to get all the nutrients you need for 1200 calories.

I eat 1570 calories/daily and I take a multivitamin as well as a vitamin D and magnesium supplement.

If you're eating at least 1200 a day and it's exercise putting you under I wouldn't be worried unless it's really low.

No flame at all! Your advise is spot on!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm just counting regular calories (not counting with the work out extra cals) and am only hitting between 550-650 a day. I'm lucky if I hit 700. But, I AM eating super clean, almost all unprocessed foods.

Only eating 550-650 calories per day TOTAL (not net, not including any exercise calories) is not healthy and you are not doing your body or health any favors. Even eating clean, there is no reason why you can't hit at least 900-1,000 calories each day easily. Start replacing some of the low calorie food items you are eating now with healthy and clean higher-calorie options like nuts, avocados, yogurt, etc.

I'm sorry, but eating anything less than 700 calories per day is just starving yourself. That is a whole different issue than just wanting to lose weight. Being skinny is not worth losing your health.
  • randisaucier
    Options

My advise would be to pick up a copy of The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. It will truly make you see how unhealthy your current eating (or lack there of) habits are!
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    In the begining it may be fine, but a few days of doing so will put a damper on you. I used to eat about 800-900 cals a day. I almost fainted because of it. I couldn't see, hear, or stand. It was awful. :[ It's unhealthy to ea under 1200 cals a day....
  • reneelgonzalez
    reneelgonzalez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Question: Are you at least hitting your calorie goal? Are you 700 - 800 cal under Net? If so, It may just be because you are exercising. That's all. I try to stay at 1500 calories no matter how much I work out that day.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Finess Pal adds what you burn to your daily calorie allotment, so if you hit your daily goal at least, I would think you'd be ok.
  • jea1668
    jea1668 Posts: 32
    Options
    It is not bad to be under your calories, but when people or doctors say that, it is usually in reference to someone being 100-200cals under....Eating between 550-700cals as a base is way too low, (especially if you are then exercising!!!) think of an engine where you only put a tiny bit of fuel in daily, the farther you have to travel(or more you move) the more fuel the car is going to need or else it will start to breakdown. just because youre eating that little does not mean you will lose weight faster, it more so means that you will constantly keep your body in a freak-out mode because it then has to scramble to find the nutrients to keep itself going, and if it doesnt get it from an outside source it will start to take it from the stores in your body. I am not talking about fat stores, i mean vitamin and mineral stores, ones that your body needs to have to do basic functions like repairing cells and cellular respiration etcetcetc. As my breakfast is usually between 250-350cals I am unsure as to how you have been able to manage a day with only eating 550cals, but suggest maybe attempting to for a few days track and maybe dumping a glass of water or two if its keeping you from eating more, and putting more foods into your day instead! hope you can work something out :)
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    maybe try eating regular bread it's usually 110 cal a slice. full fat yogurt, milk, and cheese. nuts are a great source of protein and calories too! just change the little things to help get a few more calories in. you look like a smaller girl and you should probably try to get closer to that 1200 cal goal.
  • ewalker10
    ewalker10 Posts: 11
    Options

Only eating 550-650 calories per day TOTAL (not net, not including any exercise calories) is not healthy and you are not doing your body or health any favors. Even eating clean, there is no reason why you can't hit at least 900-1,000 calories each day easily. Start replacing some of the low calorie food items you are eating now with healthy and clean higher-calorie options like nuts, avocados, yogurt, etc.

I'm sorry, but eating anything less than 700 calories per day is just starving yourself. That is a whole different issue than just wanting to lose weight. Being skinny is not worth losing your health.

Totally agree. Nuts, avocados, and yogurt are great options!