At a Crossroad in My Life

Options
erkevin
erkevin Posts: 4 Member
Hello Everyone-
I am a 52 year old male in dire need of a lifestyle change. Just 13 years ago, I was an avid runner who competed in marathons and half-marathons. Slowly, work and family took over my life and my weight ballooned (put on 80 lbs) over those years. Lifestyle became very sedentary. High blood pressure and likely, pre-diabetic. Due to the stress of my work, i drank too much, slept too little.
A little more than a year ago, my doctor said that if I did not retire or find a lower-stress profession, I would die (both parents died prematurely- mother at 42 yrs).
Last month, I retired and here I am. I am not going to even consider going back to work (it would have to be a VERY different line of work) until I completely change my life.
Running is out of the question until I lose a considerable amount of weight. Hiking, biking, weights, elliptical is where I will begin. AND, of course, a radical change in eating habits.

This is going to be a long road back.

Replies

• KellBell113
    KellBell113 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Take it one day at a time! And get some supportive friends on here. I'm at the beginning of my journey and I'm already feeling better. Feel free to add me if you want.

• tboz08202016
    tboz08202016 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's never to late to start to live your best life. I've been using MFP for 100 days today and I'm down 45 pounds. I'll cheer you on! Add me if you like. I log daily and will support you every step of your journey! Have a blessed evening.
  • haney1722
    haney1722 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on retiring, that was a huge step in a positive direction!! I just turned 52 recently and am making a healthy lifestyle change as well, feel free to add me for support and motivation!
    Just taking those first steps to a healthy life is empowering...one day, one pound at a time! :)