Eating Out Once A Week & Feeling Guilty...

Options
So let me start by saying I used to eat fast food 1 to 3 times a day almost everyday because I was so "busy" (that's what we told ourselves right?) and we would go to a sit down restaraunt 1 to 3 times a week. Since I started MFP two months ago the only thing I had from fast food was one taco and that was because there was no other option and I got sick off it and was throwing up all night. lol....and we cut down the eating out to once a week. But when i do go out I won't order food I don't like(or eat a huge salad)...I usually order appetizers and have a little bit of everything,..before I would have all that plus a meal...but even just the appetizers come in at 1000 cals, and it kills my sodium. If I go over on cals I cut back the next few days to compensate and drink water. I have been losing weight still...but when I see my friends diaries it seems like they NEVER eat a crappy meal and I start feeling so guilty. I am trying to keep a realistic approach to my weight loss, and for me that means I still want to enjoy my life and I want to be able to keep this up my whole life...so logically I think I am doing the right thing by not depriving myself because then I may just quit altogether and go back to my old disgusting habits....but i still feel guilty!! Those of you who have been successful at losing weight have you given up the "crap" completely...what's your approach?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary if it makes you feel better. I make it a point to eat "crappy" once or twice or thrice a week. It's good for the soul. I have no guilt about this. You shouldn't either. Guilt has no place in this journey.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is very important when eating out. Get the book "Eat this, Not that." It will help you make better choices when eating out. Also, stop ordering the appetizers. Go ahead and get the full meal of exactly what you want. If it turns out that it is a lot of calories, you can always get a take out box so you can eat the rest later. I often will spread my calories out over two meals. Good luck and don't beat yourself up. You just have to learn how to eat the things you love in moderation. I haven't given up any of the foods I love. I just make certain that I get a lot of healthy foods to offset the crap.
  • dlafarga
    dlafarga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! We all deserve a cheat day. And it's just the way it sounds, a "cheat day". Some people will fully log in what they eat and some won't. I know I do if I know I still have plenty of calories to waste or I avoid logging if I know I went way over.
    If you feel that guilty, cut down to once every two weeks. Or you can try to exercise half a hour more on the day you're going out to eat as well as the day after.
    That's what I do. I eat out once every two weeks or sometimes once every 3 or 4 weeks. And I plan ahead to try to exercise a bit more than usual. I use to feel quite guilty because meals at restaurants have about 1200 cal alone and that's not including the drink or dessert!
    We're all human though. Having one cheat day every once in a while will not kill you. you will not gain 2 or 3 lbs off it. Just jump right into your dieting routine the next day and I guaratee you'll do just fine. :)
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had two pieces of pizza yesterday.

I eat what I want, but less of it.

And the longer I do this (eat healthier, work out) the less I want crap (as in processed and fast food) I will actually choose fruit and veggies more...because I like them, my body likes them, and I feel better when I eat them.

this is not a comparison or competition, we've all got to figure out what works for us. Take the basics (eat less, move more) and build something that you can sustain over the rest of your life. It's not a fad/crash diet......if it's going to 'stick' we have to be realistic.
    :smile:
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Your right, if you deprive yourself from foods that you enjoy you will fail, as long as you do it in moderation you will keep your healthy lifestyle and succeed :drinker:
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I just keep going the way I am. Yeah, I feel guilty when looking at their food diaries, but I'm still loosing weight, and that's what matters most to me. :smile:
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Monday nights are my "cheat meal" night. I stay under my cals and rarely go over my sodium, but on Mondays I allow myself to go get one of my fave foods- a burger from my fave restaurant Shindigs. They have a $5 burger night on Mondays and this has become tradition every Monday for me and my boyfriend and I still am under my cals :) So, guilt free!!!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sustainability is about what works for YOU. I eat out fairly often, and will continue to do so, but I make better choices when I eat out now...and every once in awhile, yes, I will have unhealthy food. This is for life, after all! So long as I'm still losing, still adequately fueled and still meet my nutritional needs, I see no reason to feel guilty about what I eat. My body, my fuel choices! :)
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Hi,
    I know exactly where you are coming from, I use to be the fast food queen!
    Just like sweets, all that stuff is bad carbs and thats what I was living on, until
    i got a wakeup call, the Dr. told me that I was pre-diabetic, that if I didn't make a major
    change right now, I would become a diabetic...well with my daughter and Ex being diabetics
    I know full well what they go through so I did not want that so I almost immediately changed
    my lifestyle, I saw the Doc on the 2nd of June and started eating healthier and exercising on June
    6th...sincde then i have lost 15 lbs and weigh in is tomorrow, so hopfully that number has increased!

I absoltely DO NOT eat any fast food what so ever now, or sugar loaded snacks, but yesterday was my
    19 year Anniversary and some friends invited us to dinner and i made exceptions, we went to Outback Steakhouse
    and I had 1/2 grilled chicken breast, garlic mashed pot., a salad with honey mustard dressing, 2 slices of bread with butter
    and some bloomin onion, and that was a huge wakeup call, you know before when the eating was so out of control, you know that these things are very unhealthy, but when you actually put in the foods and it tracks and logs the calories and nutrition
    info and you actually see the numbers WOW, a whole new perspective! It is not worth it to me, you have to work way to hard.

I do believe though, that you can induldge once in a while, in fact i think that it is imperative that you do, to prevent you getting bored and feeling all deprived, just watch portion sizes and don't do it all the time, make it as a reward of sorts.
    I really hope that i have helped you in some way, I am so sorry that this was so long. Good luck to you in meeting all of your goals! Please feel free to add me! :smile:
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have A free day once a week, but my goal isn't just to lose weight but to eat healthier and to have a healthy lifestyle; I'm in it for the long haul.

I prefer to make my own foods since I know what's in them (preservatives, sodium, fats). I do occasionally eat out but I try to make healthy choices. I would love to splurge,but I don't want to kill myself working it off the next day ;)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Are you still losing weight? Are you eating more healthily overall? Do you enjoy those meals?

If the answer to all three of those three questions is yes, you have nothing to be guilty about!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    We gained weight over years and years of bad eating, drinking etc etc, I still eat out occasionally. Well this week more then most as i've been on vacation but my calories haven't exceeded maintenance levels if that once in 7 days. That's including 8 beers on certain days lol. Try to think long term. Moderation not Deprivation is the only way to maintain a healthy weight.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    but when I see my friends diaries it seems like they NEVER eat a crappy meal and I start feeling so guilty.

I learned that no two (2) diets are alike, so you are still loosing the weight just like your other MFP friends you just may be loosing it a little slower because of what you're eating not how much {you tell me}. For me, it took some time not to feel guilty about eating out, but I started making better choices at restaurants {like eating half of my entree and no starters unless it's a salad. One habit I've given up are drinks. Not completely but 95% of what I drink is water, green tea (no calories), coffee w/ few additives, and a drink a few times a month {either diet or regular}. I look up the calories before I go eat and in most cases I just accept that the sodium is going to be high. So I don't feel guilty anymore since I know there's little I can do about that part unless you ask them to go light on the salt, lol.

To some extent the "I won't deprive myself" excuse doesn't work. That's how we all got fat, lol. . . We ate EXACTLY what we wanted to, when we wanted to. So not to say we should never eat what we like, but the times we do should be in moderation, not as often as we use to, and maybe an alternative. Like I eat the weight watchers chocolate {it tastes good and I don't worry about eating other kinds of chocolate}. . . I've given up McDonalds Completely though, there's no compromise on that one, lol.

Good luck, hopefully my rambling amounted to something.
  • BabyLove1606
    BabyLove1606 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary if it makes you feel better. I make it a point to eat "crappy" once or twice or thrice a week. It's good for the soul. I have no guilt about this. You shouldn't either. Guilt has no place in this journey.

PSHHHHHHHHHHHH Taso you are one of the friends with the clean diaries...last night I ate two chessesticks, and three boneless buffalo wings, and a few chips with s[inach dip and it was 1100 cals!!!! =0(

Thank you all for the posts....I feel better
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Assigning "good", "bad", and guilt to food only harms your progress toward a healthy attitude and lifestyle with food. Food is either high in nutritional value or low in it.

It's normal to enjoy a meal out, so enjoy it. Long-term, you're looking at a lifestyle change, so make the changes that are sustainable for you. If that means eating out once or twice a week, do it and enjoy it.

Plus, feel free to look at my diary. Plenty of low nutritional foods make their way on it a few times a week. I'm still losing weight.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I eat crappy or have cheat meals. There are some things I like to have on occasion and I have a busy social life that include eating out often. I rarely do fast food because like you said it's rarely worth the extra sodium that come with it.

Today for instance I wanted a cupcake. There's a bakery nearby that makes good ones from scratch and I knew I would have extra calories because this was a gym day. For me a cupcake is also easier to handle than a slice of cake because everyone's idea of what a 'slice" is varies too much. Still I ate breakfast, I ate lunch and my snack for today is a cupcake. I don't do this often, not even monthly, but when I want it since it is a food I can eat without binging, I plan for it and allow myself to have it without guilt.

There are some foods that I have given up because either because they really aren't good for me, or I can't eat them without binging. It requires being honest with yourself and admitting what those foods are.

My diary is open, so feel free to take a peek. My biggest goal is to eat cleanly as possible at least 90% of the time with little to no artificial additives.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    last night I ate two chessesticks, and three boneless buffalo wings, and a few chips with s[inach dip and it was 1100 cals!!!! =0(

So what? :smile: That was one day. How about the other 6 days of the week?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    last night I ate two chessesticks, and three boneless buffalo wings, and a few chips with s[inach dip and it was 1100 cals!!!! =0(

So what? :smile: That was one day. How about the other 6 days of the week?

lol, exactly. yesterday I didn't exercise and probably ate 2500+ calories. even then i don't think it's enough to undo the good did i whole week.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job so far!! Stop feeling guilty!! I know I should cut out most the crap I eat. But its hard when you work a lot and don't have much time to prepare meals. So even though my diary has a lot of processed meals and take out I try and make the best choices when I'm at a restaurant. If I go over on sodium I know to drink a lot of water and take in some potassium to offset it. And be careful of sodium intake the next day.
  • BabyLove1606
    BabyLove1606 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Rach I put up the pic just for you! LOL...

Thanks for the support guys!!!!!!!!!!!!