How can I guess calories?

Options
Hi all, I started MFP a few days ago. I've been measuring and weighing my food but last night I didn't but took note of what I ate and how much. This morning I'm entering the calories but
it seems my guess could be out by a large margin (positive or negative). What do people do in these situations?

Thanks

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Take your best estimate, usually I pick an entry that is medium - high cals.
    Over time you will get better at guessing. For now, just do your best and keep on going, it won't matter in the long term.
  • iheartshunsuke
    iheartshunsuke Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't guess because you'll always underestimate!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You already ate it, do your best and move on
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    yep, just move on and continue to work towards hitting your goals today. There's no sense in dwelling on what you did yesterday.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I find a similar entry in the database that seems similar...like I use P.F. Chang's for most Chinese food because it's pretty typical IMHO. Or olive garden for Italian...it's unlikely that too many restaurants are worse for you than the oversized chains.

I look at all the entries for that meal in the database and assume the worst ;)
  • asatari
    asatari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will make a best estiamte and move on. Thanks for your advice guys.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The longer you weigh food the better your guestimates will be. You'll know what 4 oz of steak looks like or a an oz of chips. I'd be conservative with my guesses though