Protein, when is too much TOO much???

Options
Hi there!
Ok so my question, like the subject says, is when am I consuming too much protein?? My ticker only says 45 a day for the amount, this is before adding workout cals in! By the end of lunch alone I am already at around 58g of protein as I do a protein smoothie with greek yogurt etc which is also high in protein. I am not skimping on carbs to be able to consume more protein which I know can have some pretty adverse effects on your body, I do still have a bunch of carbs left until I hit the 'goal' amount for the day even though I am already over their protein amount, but I make sure to up everything (carbs, fats and protein) when I add more exercise in.....hope this makes sense lol! any serious insight would be very welcome :) Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    are you on a low fat diet, or a low carb diet ??
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen, MFP sets the protein goal relatively low to begin with, so going over, even after adding in more for workouts, isn't going to be "too" much.

I was doing some research and other sources recommend quite a bit more than MFP, especially when losing weight/gaining muscle, because protein will help in the muscle building part.

But I am interested in what others have to say!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight is the maximum you should eat. You should strive for at least 30% of your calories to be protein especially if you exercise as it helps restore muscle. I found protein is actually set low on MFP and my carbs and fat were too high I have my carbs/protein/fat set at 45/30/25 now
  • staciekins
    Options
    And try to consume at least 35 grams of fiber as high protein can "back you up" if you aren't getting enough fiber, but the pros of both high protein and high fiber are totally worth it.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    cant help u on that coz i have totally opposite case im too low on proteins so anyone who gives the answer to actual topic throw some light on this opposite case too. i dont eat eggs n meat except fish. my sources of proteins r milk, yoghurt, lentils, chickpeas and black eyed beans. what r the adverse effects of low proteins?
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight is the maximum you should eat. You should strive for at least 30% of your calories to be protein especially if you exercise as it helps restore muscle. I found protein is actually set low on MFP and my carbs and fat were too high I have my carbs/protein/fat set at 45/30/25 now

Per lb of current body weight or goal weight?
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Here's a calculator that may be of help http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I am not skimping on carbs to be able to consume more protein which I know can have some pretty adverse effects on your body

What is your source for that information?
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat between 100-130 grams of protein daily......needed to build muscle. Actually I could and probably should eat more but I like to get other nutrients in my diet too. And yes, if you exercise and especially if you're trying to build muscle or "tone" up, you should eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of actual body weight. :flowerforyou:
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Can we please make one of these threads a sticky. It get asked a few times a day.
  • runawaydoll19
    runawaydoll19 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • staciekins
    Options

Per lb of current body weight or goal weight?

current
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I eat between 100-130 grams of protein daily......needed to build muscle. Actually I could and probably should eat more but I like to get other nutrients in my diet too. And yes, if you exercise and especially if you're trying to build muscle or "tone" up, you should eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of actual body weight. :flowerforyou:

Eating protein does not increase muscle building or mass sorry. My macro's are 50C/25P/25F. Some opt for 40C/30F/30P (zone diet).

http://www.lifeed.ucla.edu/documents/CHS19Bulkingup.CommonlyaskedQsandAs.pdf

If your a body builder you should consume .8g per lb of body weight or less .4g per pound for a sedentary person.You should never consume more then 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight ever. Excess protein consumption is not a healthy practice Good Luck!
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    can u elabrate. im 163 lbs does it imply 163 grams. MFP has allowed me just 57 and my consumption is less than tht. im a veggetarian and allergic to soya and whey protein
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    I am on a 50% Protein, 30% Carb and 20% Fat diet for the next month or so (Phase 1 of the Diet plan for P90X). I am training for a marathon, so I am running alot. It does seem to be giving me a little more energy, but it is hard to get that much protein in. I am at 222g of Protein a day unless I exercise and then it is upped. I try to stay around 200.

My opinion is that 1g per body weight is more than enough.

Some people stagger their caloric intake every day to "confuse" their bodies into burning more calories. I think this is what P90X is doing with their diet plan and exercise plans. They vary your exercises every 30 days and vary your diet.

Phase 1 Diet: 50% Protein / 30% Carb / 20% Fat "The Fat Shredder Phase"
    Phase 2 Diet: 40% Protein / 40% Carb / 20% Fat "Energy Booster"
    Phase 3 Diet: 30% Protein / 50% Carb / 20% Fat "Endurance Maximizer"
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a calculator that may be of help http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html

What follows the calculator is very interesting; a completely different perspective from the one normally found on this website. I had sort of accepted the high protein argument, simply because everybody around here seems to agree on it. But now I'm not so sure...
  • jea1668
    jea1668 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you everyone, to answer one person (for some reason i cant hit reply and have it past the persons paragraph in it like i see others doing!) I just finished both anatomy and physiology and nutrition for courses I was taking, and though they didnt go over ideal protein for body weight/adding in exercise it went over effects of prolonged low carb dieting while upping protein significantly, i do not have my book with me as i just moved but could find info on it if you are that interested :). So sounds like I can go over MFP's protein intake as long as im not crazy with it! i definitely dont intake 1g protein/1lb of actual body weight so i'll keep up what i'm consuming for a few weeks and see how it goes, thank you! I apologize for asking a question it seems some have said have been asked multiple times, i jsut joined the site and did look through the boards before posting but couldnt find one on protein sorry!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Eating protein does not increase muscle building or mass sorry. My macro's are 50C/25P/25F. Some opt for 40C/30F/30P (zone diet).

If your a body builder you should consume .8g per lb of body weight or less .4g per pound for a sedentary person.You should never consume more then 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight ever. Excess protein consumption is not a healthy practice Good Luck!

Where do you get your info? I would really like to review your source material.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Smart girl.^^^
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options

My information comes from research......I don't do ANYTHING without researching it first. And secondly, I am under a professional trainer with over 20 yrs experience and he's rated among the top 5 in my state and he's RIPPED to boot so I'm assuming he's practicing what he's teaching me. Below is just a few of the places I read that: (1) Protein IS needed to build muscle (2) the protein range I should aim for is correct. Also, I've seen the educational books that he gets his information from. He doesn't tell me to do anything without being able to back it up. So I definitely think what I'm doing for my body/muscles is appropriate....sorry, you've been misinformed.

http://www.building-muscle-guide.com/high-protein-diet-plan.html
    http://www.musclehack.com/how-much-protein-is-needed-to-build-muscle/
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-training-tips
    http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/