Hip Flexor!

Options
Hi,

I've just started marathon training (my second one) and am experiencing hip flexor issues on my long runs (so far only two). On both occasions, I cut the run short of my scheduled distance out of fear of making in worse. Now I'm worried about aggravating it but scared of falling behind on my training. I've started some stretches and also some back aligning yoga poses (I have mild scoliosis and therefore wonky!) - should I continuewith my training at a lower level or stop altogether for a week or so?

Replies

• rich101467
    rich101467 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it only on your long runs? If so I don't think you need to quit all together for a few weeks. Did you jump back in after a long break? You may need to shorten your long run and extend training a few weeks. Have you gotten new shoes lately? It just doesn't sound like an overuse injury if it only occurs on your long run. I had IT band issues I thought was a hip flexor, but it hurt on every run. It finally sidelined me for 6 weeks because I didn't listen to it early, so do listen to your body or it will finally make you listen.
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Pain in the hip flexor sometimes means that you're overusing it to compensate for weakness elsewhere, such as in the glutes. It's worth investigating.
  • nikkijune18
    nikkijune18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Uh, I have hip flexor pain and sciatica nerve pain and it's awful. Mine started to hurt bad after one mile yesterday... I'm not sure what will fix it since I took time off, did exercises, and it's still not better! I know that for me running is what makes it hurt. I've been doing other excercises (cycling, swimming, gym classes) and all that doesn't bother it, just running. I'll check back here to see if anyone has good advice since I really like to run...
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I think I did jump in on the long run too soon. I stupidly thought I'd be OK as I've run quite a few half marathons but I have taken a break from those kinds of distances over the last couple of months. I'll scale bsck the length of my long runs and continue training I think.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training? Hip flexor pain is commonly caused by muscle imbalances, such as weak glutes, like ilikegardens said. In addition to stretching, use a tennis ball or foam roller on your hip flexors. I like to do this quick routine after running, which focuses on the hips and glutes: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0.

If you don't have pain or tightness during short runs keep doing them. If you've been running regularly and have a decent base, you'll be fine missing or cutting back on the first couple of weeks of training especially if you're following a standard lower mileage beginner plan. However, I'd make an appointment with an orthopedist ASAP. It's better to find out what is wrong, get a referral to PT or exercises to do, and address the issues now than try to wait and have it develop into something more serious that completely side lines you for months.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I second the abover poster, especially with a roller, It will help with releasing your myofascial tissue which can get knotted up and stuck together causing tightness and pulling. I have scoliosis, a slightly rotated pelvis and I get a lot of hip flexor issues in my right hip area. I stretch and roll it a lot.
  • iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What are your symptoms? I'm a LMT and treat lots of runners. I do a lot of strain/counterstrain and positional release on hip flexors, including the iliopsoas and also work the piriformis and deep six rotators. Make sure you have great running shoes, especially for distance running and listen to your body.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, it is most likely being caused by an imbalance. Foam rolling and yoga will help strengthen the imbalance (that's a bad thing) and possibly get you through training. However, I strongly recommend you identify why the imbalance was created and work to fix that. Most likely it has to do with your biomechanics. If you don't fix the problem then the issue will just get worse and manifest in other ways.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It can be imbalance. It can also be overuse injury. If bilateral, that's a reason for optimism since it's unlikely to be a tear or acute injury. (Can't tell from your post.) Back off a bit. Stretch, roll, check your shoes, see a PT who works with athetes.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. My initial thought was that it's imbalance due to my scoliosis. I'll try the foam rolling and continue with stretching and yoga and see how things go with a view to seeing a physio if nothing improves. I had a slight issue during my last marathon training (but only when it got to mile 18/mile 20 runs).

To clarify, my hip flexor feels kind of stiff and it comes on very suddenly.

I have been incorporating more strength based work outside and weak glutes are a known issue for me.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Pain in the hip flexor sometimes means that you're overusing it to compensate for weakness elsewhere, such as in the glutes. It's worth investigating.

True, the hip flexor is the opposing muscle to the glutes. Working your leg muscles is never a bad idea. I know people throw "squats" in for every scenario but this is one case where this basic compound exercise could help you since it works both the flexor and the glutes.

You might also consider your running form. Since this is only happening in your long runs it's possible that this is an issue you're getting from losing form when you're tired. Backing off on distance of course would help but consider evaluating your running form. Take the following for example:

http://www.balancedrunner.com/how-to-fix-a-tight-hip-flexor-when-youre-running/

Best of luck.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have suffered 3 escalating hip flexor issues this year, and my advice would be to stop training immediately and rest for at least 2 weeks. And I do mean rest! Even lifting can tweak this, and I know from personal experience how quickly this can escalate and how nasty it can be. Each time I gave it a few days and thought I would be OK, only to be writhing in agony in bed that night. I could not sleep, sit, get any comfort at all.

My last episode was a month ago and my Dr advised 2 weeks complete rest with Ibuprofen. I hated it, but it seems to have done the trick & I have been working out again for 2 weeks without a twinge. But I did make sure to gradually ease back into exercise, rather than going for it 'gung-ho'!

Epsom salt baths and tiger balm also helped make me more comfortable while it was healing. And I love my hot water bottle. Always!

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have suffered 3 escalating hip flexor issues this year, and my advice would be to stop training immediately and rest for at least 2 weeks. And I do mean rest! Even lifting can tweak this, and I know from personal experience how quickly this can escalate and how nasty it can be. Each time I gave it a few days and thought I would be OK, only to be writhing in agony in bed that night. I could not sleep, sit, get any comfort at all.

My last episode was a month ago and my Dr advised 2 weeks complete rest with Ibuprofen. I hated it, but it seems to have done the trick & I have been working out again for 2 weeks without a twinge. But I did make sure to gradually ease back into exercise, rather than going for it 'gung-ho'!

Epsom salt baths and tiger balm also helped make me more comfortable while it was healing. And I love my hot water bottle. Always!

Sounds like you need evaluated by a doctor who is going to do more than say "rest and pills". Reoccurring injuries like this usually point to flawed biomechanics. Have your running form evaluated and get a physical eval from a chiropractor or osteopathic physician. Someone who will look at the structure of your body. "Rest and pills" don't fix the problem, they just cover it up.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Sounds like you need evaluated by a doctor who is going to do more than say "rest and pills". Reoccurring injuries like this usually point to flawed biomechanics. Have your running form evaluated and get a physical eval from a chiropractor or osteopathic physician. Someone who will look at the structure of your body. "Rest and pills" don't fix the problem, they just cover it up.

Good advice. I had a hip flexor issue once. Last fall I tripped over someone's dog and dog leash during a run. (Letting your dog run out 25 feet across a path isn't keeping it on a leash even if it's on a leash) I was limping for a couple weeks with that injury but once it got better it was better and hasn't come back since.

If if keeps happening you need more than rest. You need to find out why it's happening. In my case I just watch people with dogs more closely.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need evaluated by a doctor who is going to do more than say "rest and pills".

Unfortunately I have a deformity to my pelvis, so I will always be slightly 'lopsided'. So I know my issues stem from pushing too hard in a way my body won't support. I can only really workout at 75% max, rather than pushing it harder and I overdid it on the treadmill with too much speed and incline.

My issues can't be treated, but I thought the advice to stop training and immediately rest was good advice. Common sense really, but I for one needed telling clearly, as I didn't want to stop training.

Thank you for being concerned though. Very sweet :-)

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    I'm also lopsided (scoliosis!) So the best I can hope for is some back alignment exercise to help. I do have an Osteopath I've seen for almost 20 years too, so hoping he'll be able to help me out a bit too. Thanks for all the contributions. Xx